Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Perfect OS: What should it do?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Here's my list:

1. Have a tree view of all files (explorer)

This is one of the most important reasons I like Windows... but seems to be slowly being removed/obscured (by cloud). The reason I have never liked Macs ..or more recently Linux - is that C:\folders..  top of drive do not seem to exist. (maybe they do - but they use home and user folders stuff..

This makes me feel uncomfortable. I do not like thinking of my data being just - where-ever.  As far as the "cloud" goes .. if you do music or design for a living - you are constantly dealing with gigs of data.  All this talk of the cloud - which might be ok for photos never makes sence to me. Even my email (which is mainly used to send proofs or large print files) would never be able to be - web based.

2. Tame/Display all running processes - in plain english

The perfect OS would be designed to show all mandatory running processes - as well as a separate screen that would show "other" running processes.  It should always be safe to end anything under "other".  "Windows Processes" - should also have complete descriptions of what they are, what they do - and the ability to Restore (if spyware suspected)

3. Allow View /Control of all inbound/outbound internet/network access

Under Network - my perfect OS would open with a facebook style UI to home computers - as well as the other half of the screen showing ALL traffic - with a Stop option.  If my modem starts flashing like crazy - and im not doing anything - I should be able to imediately STOP all traffic in and out of PC. One click.  Maybe I can - but Ive never found where.

4. Include stuff

Some would prefer OS's ship with nothing (lean) but I like Windows bundling stuff.  My only wish here is that the default - is more like win server 2003 = very fast - the least needed to run starting up (+themes service)

Again - this is dependant on above "Windows Process Manager"

5. Make Activating/Validation simple and happen once

From other post

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So that's my list.  In regards to Vista (that apparently Im finally being sent Smiley ) ...

1- x file tree is mostly hidden.. removal of "Up" breaks 15(?)yr winOS tradition
    2- x seems to be more things running than xp (still no plain english)
    3- x network setting buried deeper / still no real control view/stop of connections
    4- Check! (but dont run stuff by default)
    5- x dont force people to validate over and over

So .. end of day - my perfect OS would let me
     control /view/understand everything running and
     control/view/understand all network traffic and
     control/view/understand where my files are and
     control/view/understand validating/activating once - in one place.

*cue all the replies showing me how I can already do the above Tongue Out

What's your Perfect OS?

• User profile image
    Angus

One thing that I like to be able to do with an operating system is customise it. I want to be able to take a basic install, boot into a command line and begin to install things (a window manager, etc.).

This would allow me to have much better control, and also it allows for much better optimisation.

I am considering this technique with Ubuntu at some point in the future (I run Ubuntu 7.04 full time now).

I like the idea of being able to change the important aspects of the operating system that allow for better performance.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

A flexible, powerful and failsafe filesystem. My usual ZFS spoilage.

Full customization, standard X11 WM spoilage.

Full modularisation, standard *nix way of things spoilage.

Can't think of anything else. I'm happy with what I've got. Games and Quicken/Office are the only reason why I'm still running Windows on my machine and in a VM respectively. Otherwise, I'm full time Solaris user.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

jamie wrote:
    removal of "Up" breaks 15(?)yr winOS tradition

WHAT!?  You've just put me off Vista for life.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Well, I'd like it to carry on working properly even if the licensing servers on the mothership are f***** up.

• User profile image
    Minh

My aunty:

Oh-Es?

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Hmmm, something along the lines of Nexenta, but with the ability to run most proprietary software packages and a neural-net learning algorithm, so that it can adapt itself to my needs as I use it.

EDIT: And highly customizable when it comes to a UI. Run the gamut from something like Fluxbox to KDE.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'd like to see the opposite of your #1.

I want a higher level user data storage area (*cough*WinFS*cough*) that all user applications use to store "files" and other data. The rest of the actual file system should be an implementation detail that only programmers and IT people have to deal with. And that high level data store should be the root of the user's "file system".

And it should be all local data optionally synchronized with the cloud (*cough*etc).

• User profile image
    Massif

Everything, and Nothing. (At the same time)

• User profile image
    Bas

GoddersUK wrote:

jamie wrote:

You can click the folder name in the breadcrumb address bar, which has the same effect.

• User profile image
    Massif

Bas wrote:

GoddersUK wrote:

jamie wrote:

You can click the folder name in the breadcrumb address bar, which has the same effect.

And besides which, "up" is still in the open / save dialogue box.

Much better you can accomplish up and across to a different folder by clicking the little arrow in the breadcrumb address bar... I love that bar. (If only it fitted a few more steps in sometimes.)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

GoddersUK wrote:

jamie wrote:

They replaced up with full breadcrumbing of the name, so you not only can do up but you can go up n folders.

• User profile image
    jamie

from what i remember of Up in vista is it stops in the folder you are in... there is no up,up,up,desktop

usually it ends in say the User folder or the folder you started in

i also remember having the desktop missing from breadcrumb when ive needed it ...

* i use the desktop for everything... remember when ms put the desktop icon in explorer? 

anyway - like i said - apparently im finanlly being sent vista - so ill try it again to see if its changed at all

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    from what i remember of Up in vista is it stops in the folder you are in... there is no up,up,up,desktop

usually it ends in say the User folder or the folder you started in

i also remember having the desktop missing from breadcrumb when ive needed it ...

I'm afraid you remember wrong.

I tried, but no matter which location I open or how I get there, Desktop is always available on the left-most arrow. Even if I go too deep so the breadcrumbs bar can't show the entire path anymore, the list under the leftmost arrow still contains Desktop.

Although I like the breadcrumbs bar more than "Up", there is one problem though. In some circumstances, like when you're browsing an FTP server, there is no breadcrumbs bar, and also no "Up". That can be quite annoying. I can still use the "Folders" tree view (which I have always open, it's just out of view in the screenshot) to navigate so it's not a huge problem, but it is annoying.

• User profile image
    jamie

haha nice vultures folder Wink

* i remember the down arrow desktop... but i do remember cases where that is not there..  when ive needed it

there is also the issue of clutter - id rather one button than words all over the ui...

..checks mailbox...

• User profile image
    figuerres

jamie wrote:

Here's my list:

1. Have a tree view of all files (explorer)

2. Tame/Display all running processes - in plain english

3. Allow View /Control of all inbound/outbound internet/network access

4. Include stuff

5. Make Activating/Validation simple and happen once

What's your Perfect OS?

well call me a geek or whatever but none of that list.

for me the "Perfect OS" is invisible, slient and never seen.

the "Visual" stuff to me is *NOT* the OS at all and should never be part of it.

as an example replacing the "Visual File Manager" should be the same as installing any app.

same thing goes for IE / a Web Browser.

Task Manager -- same thing.
    Text mode Command Line -- same thing.

the "OS" should just run and provide services and Syncronise stuff.
    should abstract the hardware into a set of API calls that allow standard app's and device drivers to be written.

the "GUI" should be a large app-hosting framework that can be replaced with an install process.

Apps should call the GUI framework API calls to do visuals and the OS API calls to do process and memory stuff and get access to devices.

this is one area that *EVERY* os to date gets about half right....

if we had an OS that REALLY did what I describe then for example skinning would be really amazing, you could load a Visuals Module into the GUI system and every visual ap would derive thier look and feel from that one root object's definition.

if this was built into the core design you could make it work very well I think.

but yes this kind of design would also raise the bar on the quality of the system and it would need new apps that worked with it.
    -- imagine trying to get a windows xp app to work with such a new set of API calls ....

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie wrote:

there is also the issue of clutter - id rather one button than words all over the ui...

But... those words all over the UI is just the location. Which has always been there. It's just clickable now.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    * i remember the down arrow desktop... but i do remember cases where that is not there..  when ive needed it

Like I said I couldn't find any situation where this wasn't available (unless I browse an FTP folder like I said, then the breadcrumbs bar disappears). If you can point out where you missed it I can check it.

It is also available in the folders tree.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.