Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Laptop Docks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    My brother has a HP nx6110 laptop/notebook/whatever and he being whom he is, he thinks it's terrible just because it's slow. Nothing can be fixed, duh? I'm trying to turn him in the opposide direction; his main qualms are that he only has 10gb of HDD space and 512RAM. The ram dilemma can easily be fixed, the HDD will be harder.

    So I'm looking for a dock. I know it has a small docking port on the underside of the laptop, with a slider, so it definately can dock. According to HPs website though, none of the docks I've looked at are compatible.

    If anybody has an nx6110 or a dock or whatever, please _god_ tell me where you got it.

    Plus his birthday is coming up and I need to get the fussy beggar something he'll actually use.

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    According to HPs website though, none of the docks I've looked at are compatible.


    Then you're stuck then Smiley

    Typically laptop MFGs include the docking ports on the understand as a precautionary measure. If the laptop sells sufficiently well enough (and there's demand for it) they'll release the dock as an aftermarket accessory.

    Typically "Home user" laptops don't have docks made for them, you'll find many of them lack dock connectors, simply because there's not enough demand for them... plus the ranges are refreshed every year or so and consumers wouldn't want to put up the additional £100-£200 for a dock (typically TabletPC docks are the most expensive, I got mine for free, but it would have costed me £230 extra).

    Whereas "Business"-grade laptops (think: ThinkPad) aren't updated much (heck, the basic design of the ThinkPads hasn't changed in the past 7 years) because companies need laptops that will work with old holdover docks and forward compat to. There's simply no case for this in home laptops.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    what do you need a dock for? you can put an external keyboard/mouse/hard drive all on an USB hub that you can connect to the laptop.


    Docks are for people like me who like to slam-dunk their hardware into their appropriate docks at the end of the day and totally forget about them.

    Hence why I love my Tablet dock, my PDA's dock, my Cellphone's dock (now a total rarity thesedays), and my Mouse's dock.

    But docks look like they're on the way out, total shame.

  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

    what do you need a dock for? you can put an external keyboard/mouse/hard drive all on an USB hub that you can connect to the laptop. the dock station you want has only USB, network and a serial port so it's completely useless.

  • User profile image
    RamarC

    since you asked for a dock, i won't 2nd guess your (brother's) need for a dock. 

    have you considered a "universal" dock like this one? http://www.buy.com/prod/targus-expresscard-notebook-docking-station-with-digital-video-and/q/loc/101/203504580.html

    it's cardbus based and gives you a desktop dock that's more/less equivalent to hp's proprietary docking station so you only have 1 thing to unplug when you move the laptop.

  • User profile image
    TimP

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    what do you need a dock for? you can put an external keyboard/mouse/hard drive all on an USB hub that you can connect to the laptop.


    Docks are for people like me who like to slam-dunk their hardware into their appropriate docks at the end of the day and totally forget about them.

    Hence why I love my Tablet dock, my PDA's dock, my Cellphone's dock (now a total rarity thesedays), and my Mouse's dock.

    But docks look like they're on the way out, total shame.


    The other docks, maybe, but definitely not laptop docks. I work at a large insurance company during the summmer and docks are standard issue for each laptop user (and they issue thousands of laptops). They're a huge time saver and convenience because you can just eject them if you need them for a meeting and reconnect them instantly when you get back. Not to mention they're a major security component. The laptops lock into the docks and the docks are locked to the desks which stops them from getting swiped.

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    RamarC wrote:
    

    since you asked for a dock, i won't 2nd guess your (brother's) need for a dock. 

    have you considered a "universal" dock like this one? http://www.buy.com/prod/targus-expresscard-notebook-docking-station-with-digital-video-and/q/loc/101/203504580.html

    it's cardbus based and gives you a desktop dock that's more/less equivalent to hp's proprietary docking station so you only have 1 thing to unplug when you move the laptop.



    Looks good, I'll see if I can dig up others Big Smile

    I'm pretty sure I heard him talking about an _actual_ dock for it, but the laptop is a few years old so I'm thinking it's not being manufactured and has just... dropped off the internets!

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.