Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sentimental Journey 1.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

From the: When i was your age dept>

..i worked as a cook.. and in a record store.

I pursued my band dream as well as my computer dream.

end of the day...  when you look back.. it is the things you did when you were teen / to 30 - that you remember fondly.

My only point in this post - is that many 9ers are young - working at this job or that - to fund their dream.

Hopefully you all become millionaires - but most likely youll be quite comfortable with a house, wife, etc..

and you will look back to... NOW

for me - it is more the cooking - kitchen manager stuff / design menus than the record store..  id love to invest in the most money losing enterprise in the world - next week Wink

just saying - the things you are doing now - you may one day look back on with fondness

..but then again will pizza pockets ever be comfort food? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    MasterPi

It shouldn't be about the money. If you're in it for selfish reasons, you're gonna find yourself sad and depressed in later years.

Rather than be Scrooge, be the one making money for everyone else's benefit.

I guess, if I were to create a motto...live life for others, but never sacrifice yourself in the process. If you do sacrifice yourself, there wont be you benefitting others anymore. 

• User profile image
    jamie

i didnt mean its about money..

just that from 18 to say 30 ... whatever you were doing - youll like it later on

work fixing cars...  to fund computers...  computer dream comes true. years later - when you get time... you work on..cars

point is what your doing to fund your ultimate dream - will one day become your ultimate dream (rich or not)

*ding ding Pick up!

• User profile image
    Minh

What are you drinking jamie? Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

When I look back, I see lots of regrets.

I try to atone, I do better in the future.

Damn, I'm such a downer.

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie wrote:
    point is what your doing to fund your ultimate dream - will one day become your ultimate dream (rich or not)
    Don't tell anybody this, but my funding my ultimate dream with the 9-to-5. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

not kool aid.

* i just wished someone told me that at the time is all

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh wrote:
    When I look back, I see lots of regrets.

I try to atone, I do better in the future.

Damn, I'm such a downer.

i have no regrets.
    (rock n roll!)  Tongue Out

just saying - what people do when they are young - they look back later fondly apon...   this becomes ult happiness as it equates a return journey with youth ?    ...ohmmmm ha

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:
    i didnt mean its about money..

Then I haven't a clue what the point of your post is.

I enjoy everything I do now. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. I just recently heard a speech by our Dean of Students which stated that one should look forward to the weekday, look forward to the monday and not just to the weekend. TGIM rather than TGIF!

• User profile image
    jamie

since when do i ever have a point! Wink

<wink smiley: update db table ..bla bla ha

* i always had a job to "fund" the other job (music)

• User profile image
    Massif

But I'm already settled down with a house and wife, and I'm not 27 until November!

I think my dream is to write a book, (page 5! woo!) but it used to be to be a record producer (lots of buttons and knobs ftw). I have a feeling tomorrow it'll be to be an internet millionaire, but by Friday I'll be wanting to travel the world.

If only I could be consistent, at least then I could actually go and do my dream - ah well...

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

mVPstar wrote:

I enjoy everything I do now. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. I just recently heard a speech by our Dean of Students which stated that one should look forward to the weekday, look forward to the monday and not just to the weekend. TGIM rather than TGIF!

Bullsh!t.

Only the selfish abdicate responsibility in order to enjoy themselves.  If I had stayed in research, which I enjoyed, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep my wife and kids comfortable and contented; my wife would be working and not looking after the children full time - in fact we probably wouldn't have kids at all. So I sacrificed what I enjoyed; I stopped playing and started getting on with my life.  It's called growing up and it has to happen sooner or later. What I do now is OK, but it's not what I wake up wanting to do.
    Some people get to enjoy what they do and make a success of it, but they are the exception, not the rule. They are very, very lucky.

Jamie is spot on - your teens and twenties are the decades that you will look back on as the time of your life.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Bas

So in 20-30 years my ultimate dream will be writing dodgy web applications in a cold office? God, that's depressing. Wink

• User profile image
    Massif

Dr Herbie wrote:

mVPstar wrote:

Bullsh!t.

Only the selfish abdicate responsibility in order to enjoy themselves.  If I had stayed in research, which I enjoyed, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep my wife and kids comfortable and contented; my wife would be working and not looking after the children full time - in fact we probably wouldn't have kids at all. So I sacrificed what I enjoyed; I stopped playing and started getting on with my life.  It's called growing up and it has to happen sooner or later. What I do now is OK, but it's not what I wake up wanting to do.
    Some people get to enjoy what they do and make a success of it, but they are the exception, not the rule. They are very, very lucky.

Jamie is spot on - your teens and twenties are the decades that you will look back on as the time of your life.

Herbie

Awww... Come on! Stop depressing me!

I still think work should be enjoyable, and the only thing I really want out of life is a job I can look forward to going back to after the weekend. But that's because I believe a job you enjoy is a job you will automatically succeed at (because you enjoy it so much.) Why so many employers seem to miss this point (that happy staff are cheaper to keep motivated than unhappy staff) escapes me.

Ah well... Now I have to look forward to my (work) life becoming even more depressing once I have children! Thanks a lot guys! As if I wasn't glum enough being the only person in my group of friends who hasn't travelled the world, doing amazing things.

Dammit! I'm going to buck this stupid trend, my 30s are going to be sooo awesome!

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Dr Herbie wrote:

I keep thinking this should be the case, and wonder what the hell i'm doing wasting my 20's working a 9-5.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

webmonkey wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

I keep thinking this should be the case, and wonder what the hell i'm doing wasting my 20's working a 9-5.

If you have no responsibilities (mortgage, children, car payments, whatever) then what the hell are you doing working 9-5?  Go start your own juggling equipment company, or something.

Herbie

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Very timely, Jamie.

I was making dinner last night and I thought, "Wow...I've done some pretty diverse things in the few years I've been alive." I've worked on farms and in fields, as a bagger for a grocery-store, as an evening-cleanup for the local barber-shop, as a stump-remover, at a burger-king, as a security guard, a website designer, a flash-programmer, a server-side-programmer, and a database administrator.

All in 24 years. Now I'm in a new state, all alone, new job, new home, and starting from nothing. I've come a long way, yet I brought nothing but experience with me in the end.

Life is funny like that I guess.

• User profile image
    webmonkey

Dr Herbie wrote:

webmonkey wrote:

Dr Herbie wrote:

If you have no responsibilities (mortgage, children, car payments, whatever) then what the hell are you doing working 9-5?  Go start your own juggling equipment company, or something.

Herbie

Would you like to buy any Juggling Equipment?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.