Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

vacation (updated).. Montreal / Nova Scotia / NYC

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

*updated below - scroll down to next map / screen cap

*can you tell im excited? Wink

in 2 weeks from now we want to go:

we have 1 week to do it in...  best route ideas anyone?

*ive only been in buffalo once...  wondering if we should drive west (niagra falls - buff / on through... or - go to montreal - then in and down...)

i cant wait to do photos of ny (i see black and white;)

any advice appreciated. 

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Seeing your planned route, I would advise NOT to drive through the water. Beer28 tried it once and it didn't work.

• User profile image
    jamie

plus i need a passport now.. bah validation Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

jamie wrote:
    plus i need a passport now.. bah validation

Well, with all the Canadian smuggling thats been taking place. I mean, we Americans need to keep the Syrup and Pucks off of the streets. I propose building a fence between the states and Canada! Smiley

Come to think of it, I do have a Canadian friend who viisted Florida for a while and wrote of how frustrating it was getting back into Canada after her trip Smiley

• User profile image
    MikeGalos

If you want speed to get there quickly, take the NY Thruway (I 90). If you want scenic, take NY Route 17.

• User profile image
    jamie

first time in States (except for buffalo for a few hours)

Apparently it takes aprox 15 hrs to drive there ...  so the scenic route is probably what ill check out

maybe a big circle - toronto / montreal / down / NY / over / buffalo / Nfalls / home

edit:  http://www.channel9.ca/trip.htm

• User profile image
    Minh

Very cool. I like to try something like this one day. Except on a bike.

• User profile image
    dentaku

jamie wrote:
    updated...

Found out I do not need passport if traveling by car (yet) by air you do.   Lots of driving... but broken down into manageable chunks (except the 13 hour day).  Should be fun.

Bridgewater isn't too exciting but it's close to Lunenberg (rather touristy in places) and The Ovens Natural Park. We where there last week and Steve Chapin (Harry Chapin's brother) was performing in the little restaurant inside the campground for the last time this season before heading back home. The Chapins own the place and put on a little festival every summer.
    It's really great when the weather's nice like it was 2 Sundays ago but you never know when it'll get extremely foggy around here.

I see you're staying in that area for quite a while. If you have time you should visit South West Port Mouton or the Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct in Port Joli, Queens County if you're the beach going kind of people. I prefer the beaches with huge rocks these days because it's just more of an adventure.

The ferry from Yarmouth is fast and shoots out an amazing amount of water from it's thrusters. I've never been on the new bigger one that you're going to travel on.

• User profile image
    jamie

We actually are staying with friends in Lunenburg
    (but it wasnt on the map screen cap so i wrote Bridgewater)

..do you live in lunenburg?  do you know sally & Rob (the sculptors?)

re: minh ...  i just cant wait to be driving along and seeing New York coming into view in the distance.. 

i can only imagine that it will be awe inspiring

• User profile image
    dentaku

jamie wrote:
    We actually are staying with friends in Lunenburg
    (but it wasnt on the map screen cap so i wrote Bridgewater)

..do you live in lunenburg?  do you know sally & Rob (the sculptors?)

No, I'm from a different county but I've driven past it many times. I know Bridgewater well enough but I'm more of an outdoors kinda guy so Lunenberg always seems rather touristy and expensive to bother visiting.
    You'll probably end up at The Ovens since it's just on the other side of Lunenberg Harbour.

I usually stay away from tourist places and try to find the more remote uninhabited areas. The lesser known parts of Queens County are amazing, like the far end of South West Port Mouton or inside the National Park in Port Joli where you might never meet another person some mornings even though it's an official park.

When it's not foggy, September is the best time to visit so I hope the skies stay clear.

• User profile image
    jamie

actaully a bit of fog would be good (photo wise)

Im hoping its rainy / cloudy when we get to New York (again for the photos)

want to capture it's "Gothem-ness"  and thats not a sunny day ...

also thinking to do NY mostly black and white - high contrast - but leave any Red objects/items red.

as well as want to try the washed out - grainy postcard look.. like when you see air ships docking on skyskrappers (think sky captain feel)

*pinch* i still cant believe im going there

edit:  C9 Guy (as well as mazie) are coming along so ..this thread is MS related Tongue Out

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I loved walking in Manhatten.

Washington Square is a park I remember from many movies.

Central Park is enormous and you should stroll to Strawberry Fields from Washington Square (W.S. is at the downtown most end - Soho).

Your car will be broken into in NYC. Don't park on any street. Find a secured garage. Maybe my pre-Juliani visit had a bit to do with this, but my advice remains.

See a Broadway show? -- Maybe get your parents or rich relatives to pay? They are expensive, and it's one thing I have yet to do there.

Be mindful of tourist muggers; again a pre-Juliani experience my cousin had -- her purse was snatched in broad daylight.

Take care.

• User profile image
    jamie

ya anything important we will leave at the hotel.. ill just have my camera

we arnt staying that long in NY (like to see shows or museums..next time we will.) 
    This is more just ..seeing it ...  going on a boat tour  (ive got this one bookmarked)

drive down to times square... broadway.. go up at least one skyscraper...
    and have dinner somewhere.. (maybe the carnigie deli  in the woody allen movies Wink

good thing the hotels (Montreal / Portland and NY) all have broadband - so hopefully i can post as i go

• User profile image
    dentaku

jamie wrote:
    edit:  C9 Guy (as well as mazie) are coming along so ..this thread is MS related Tongue Out

The Bluenose was in port in Lunenburg 2 weekends ago (I've seen it so many times it isn't terribly exciting to me anymore) so if it's there when you're around you could take a photo of C9 Guy on the schooner that's on the dime. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    ya anything important we will leave at the hotel.. ill just have my camera

we arnt staying that long in NY (like to see shows or museums..next time we will.) 
    This is more just ..seeing it ...  going on a boat tour  (ive got this one bookmarked)

drive down to times square... broadway.. go up at least one skyscraper...
    and have dinner somewhere.. (maybe the carnigie deli  in the woody allen movies Wink

good thing the hotels (Montreal / Portland and NY) all have broadband - so hopefully i can post as i go

Boat Tours:  Last time I was there, I took the Circle Line's full island cruise (the 3 hour one on the page I linked).  It's longer than the one you've got bookmarked, but it's worth it (at least with the guide I had--  Malachy Murray, he knows a lot about New York, and he was good enough that I remembered his name Tongue Out).  Great photo opportunity, too--  although you want it to be clear, not hazy (the boat's just far enough away from the island to make it difficult).

Skyscrapers:  I've only been up the Empire State Building, and then only at night.  Still pretty cool.

Driving to Times Square:  don't do it.  Walk, or take the subway around, but once you've got your car parked (assuming you're staying in Manhattan), don't move it.

• User profile image
    jamie

thanks for that boat link...(3hrs one)

less walking / see more is better for me

(ive got a stupid herniated disc/sciattica back issue. )
    I can walk - but not longer than 15 min or so...

coney island id like to see too...
    (basically anything old in NY - like from movies.. thats what id
    like to photograph most..

• User profile image
    jamie

updated...

Found out I do not need passport if traveling by car (yet) by air you do.   Lots of driving... but broken down into manageable chunks (except the 13 hour day).  Should be fun.

*click to view normal:

• User profile image
    jamie

Chinmay007 wrote:

China Town

Greenwich Village

added Smiley
    *man im never going to do this in 1.5 days!

*..hmmm  maybe i should lose a day in NS.. for an extra NY day.  *Tory doesnt think driving in a van taking pictures is a "relaxing" vacation - hense the Nova Scotia 4 days...  maybe i can talk her into leaving earlier

(vacation? what vacation! its a photo tour! its work! Wink)

edit: in my head im picturing it like:

- leave hotel
    - drive to boat tour / park (in lot??) go on tour
    - leave boat tour - go to bus tour / park  (in lot?) (hopefully includes stop of empire sate builing (top))
     - leave bus tour..
    - drive around NY / greenwich / china town / coney island / times square
    - park somewhere for dinner
    - drive around some more.. broadway at nite, radio city, carigie hall

back to hotel

(so ..assuming the charters have parking lots - the only time i need to park is for dinner)

...or will it not work like that?

*can you take a beagle on the boat/bus charters?

** i could also bring the 9guy box - if im passing near anyone that doesnt have one let me no

9 Guy Delivery Service haha
    *you hear that john?! delivery!  Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.