Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sayings

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

I've got an English homework involving coming back with a meaningful saying. At this point you may be thinking; are you THREE? Well, life sucks and I've got to do this or face detention.

Of course, I could think something up myself, but I have a week and I'm looking for something different; diverse; clever - with a hidden meaning. Something to make them think, a hidden meaning. Go the extra mile Wink

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    evildictait​or

A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a foolish man because he has to say something.

• User profile image
    jamie

You can tune a piano but you cant tuna fish  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    mstefan

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer."

• User profile image
    RobbieCrusoe

Those who can, do... those who can't, teach Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

One thing that my mom used to tell me when I was younger (Might apply seeing you're school aged).

"Tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

• User profile image
    RobbieCrusoe

Not really a saying per say, but paraphrased from a quote by Napoleon...

"The soldiers win the battle, but the generals get the credit..."

Displayed above every desk I have sat at Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

So far my favorite is:

Nobody listens, everybody just waits for their turn to speak.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    AndyC

If you stand up like a nail, then you will be knocked down.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I've got an English homework involving coming back with a meaningful saying.

"'Sayings' are but simple one-liner opiates for saeculum imprudentissimus. The illuminati refuses to apply any form of reducto ad absurdum logic to the ways and means of our society, real life is too complicated to \sum_{n=0}^\infty." - W3bbo, 2007

Ha! Take that, Oscar Wilde!

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I've got an English homework involving coming back with a meaningful saying. At this point you may be thinking; are you THREE? Well, life sucks and I've got to do this or face detention.

Of course, I could think something up myself, but I have a week and I'm looking for something different; diverse; clever - with a hidden meaning. Something to make them think, a hidden meaning. Go the extra mile

Never trust a skinny chef.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Despair Inc has some pretty good ones -- I could read these for hours ...

Herbie

• User profile image
    harumscarum

You have not pushed far enough unless you've been threatned, if you're dead then you have gone too far.

• User profile image
    kettch

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

• User profile image
    Angus

kettch wrote:
    Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

What if the fire was extinguished immediately (when the man was set on fire), and he was placed in a chilled room? (This might cause a problem in this saying).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

My gramps used to have some 'colorful' sayings, and I doubt that you can use this one, but...

"Nothing is more overrated than a good f*ck.  Nothing is more underrated than a good sh!t"

It isn't very PC, but it always cracked me up.

• User profile image
    Rossj

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

• User profile image
    kettch

Angus wrote:

kettch wrote:

What if the fire was extinguished immediately (when the man was set on fire), and he was placed in a chilled room? (This might cause a problem in this saying).

Angus Higgins

Shall we start picking apart all of the sayings? Tongue Out

This saying assumes that you are concerned with doing things right. A properly lit fire should not go out easily. [6]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.