Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Reduced Functionality Mode now "on"?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

"Good afternoon, as of this week, Microsoft has activated a function in Vista called 'Reduced Functionality.'
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9035478

The article doesn't make sense to me as I though RFM was already enabled and possible to trigger according to the following rules:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925582

So, has something changed? Is the email fake or misinformed? Was it not enabled everywhere in the world? Were the triggering criteria changed? Will we be seeing a $h1tstorm from people getting false positives that completely RFM their machines? Should I make popcorn?

• User profile image
    AndyC

I presume this means the first bunch of pirate keys has been uploaded to the WGA servers. Bad news for all those who thought their cracked version had worked.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DCMonkey wrote:
    Will we be seeing a $h1tstorm from people getting false positives that completely RFM their machines? Should I make popcorn?

Remember the massive WGA outage we had a few weeks ago and thought that was bad?

Hopefully this will spell the end of WGA after thousands of legit users sue Microsoft.

• User profile image
    intelman

WGA needs to go. I hate the stupid validation when getting a patch. Since I seem to format all the time, because of dell and their stupid media direct button screwing up my installation, I have to install the WGA checker all the time, that is just an added step that annoys me.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:

Hopefully this will spell the end of WGA after thousands of legit users sue Microsoft.

That is scheduled to happen just after the flying-pigs airshow and the report of "slow moving traffic in hell due to ice on the roads"

• User profile image
    blowdart

"Reduced Functionality Mode now"

It's installing linux?

(It's called a pre-emptive strike people, calm down)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

intelman wrote:
    WGA needs to go. I hate the stupid validation when getting a patch. Since I seem to format all the time, because of dell and their stupid media direct button screwing up my installation, I have to install the WGA checker all the time, that is just an added step that annoys me.

Why?

You have 30 days to activate after you first install Windows Vista before reduced functionality mode begins - if you reformat frequently (as I do) you'll be aware that the activation dialog shows after the final Windows Experience check and login, and requires you to click "Activate Now".

Even if you don't/can't activate then, you can "Activate later" which alerts you every 24hours via a little balloon tooltip saying "Activate Now" which can be safely ignored until your 30 days are up.

Since your machine can have unlimited activations for a licence key, I fail to see that reformatting often (unless we're talking more than twice a day, in which case you have issues) would mean that WGA changes your experience at all, even if you choose not to activate.

• User profile image
    jellowjacket

"You have 30 days to activate after you first install Windows Vista before reduced functionality mode begins..."

or "slmgr.vbs –rearm"

• User profile image
    Stebet

hoax!

• User profile image
    cornelius

i taught microsoft prefered according to their senior manager (cant find link, tho it was in news not to long ago)

people pirating windows

instead of using alternatives 

so far im very pissed with the bright spark who decided to remove the up button from vista, why oh why

tho overall vista is a great OS and so far i love it

• User profile image
    Bas

As said before, "up" functionality is still there.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

cornelius wrote:
    i taught microsoft prefered according to their senior manager (cant find link, tho it was in news not to long ago)

people pirating windows

instead of using alternatives 

so far im very pissed with the bright spark who decided to remove the up button from vista, why oh why

tho overall vista is a great OS and so far i love it

Yes. In other news, most victims of violent crime enjoy the attention during the court hearing.

Get real. Why would Microsoft enjoy people taking their products and not paying for them? And if they enjoy it so much, why do they introduce WGA and cracking down on piracy?

• User profile image
    cornelius

evildictaitor wrote:
    why do they introduce WGA and cracking down on piracy?

theres 2 types of "pirates"

yaaarrrr [6]

1. the smart hacker/coder type, this fella can bypass anything thrown at him

2. the kiddie who just discovered bittorent

now theres alot more of type2 "pirates" than type1, they are generally dumb and love reading digg.com as they need the collective to make up the mind for them

theres nothing microsoft can do about type1 "pirates" but type2 pirates just need to be annoyed/pushed enough for them to either:

a: pay up (or make their rich parents pay up)
    b: use the oem version of windows that they more than likely have
    c: get their rich parents to buy a mac for college (now they are uber cool! not)
    d: they switch to linux (not this is fairly unlikely as bittorenting is abit more difficult on linux)

sigh

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Can't await for virus writers to figure out how to activate it manually. Probably just needs to ship pirated keys and change them at runtime and have hilarious fun starting with the next reboot.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Tom Servo wrote:
    Can't await for virus writers to figure out how to activate it manually. Probably just needs to ship pirated keys and change them at runtime and have hilarious fun starting with the next reboot.

That argument doesn't really hold. The naysayers predicted the same thing would happen with WPA when it was first introduced in XP, that malware would find a way to "deactivate" Windows. That didn't happen, and neither will this.

Fact is, if you've got enough access to a Windows box to make it think it is illegal/deactivated, there's far more interesting (and easier) things you could do.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Tom Servo wrote:

slmgr.vbs -upk
    slmgr.vbs -ipk <product key>

but if you can run code on somebodies machine, you shouldn't be all that surprised that they can do things.

We get lots of concept code that goes along the lines of "If you can run code on that machine, you can run code!"

To which I say, "duh".

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.