Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Pointless EULAs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

Why?

They are mostly unenforceable and usually contradictory

see this in clause 2 or a recent apple software update.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. The Apple Software may be used to reproduce materials so long as such use is limited to reproduction of non-

guess what Steve?

my machines a Dell, no Apple logo in sight, your Software Update( more of a force iTunes onto every pc installer.. but thats another gripe).

I only bothered reading as far as clause 2!

I sometimes i get curious as to what I am supposed to be 'signing' into when i click the accept button, I usually find something that is so contracdictory that if a court tool one look at would throw out as invalid, IMO, but what do I know?

• User profile image
    Rossj

AdrianJMartin wrote:

your Software Update( more of a force iTunes onto every pc installer.. but thats another gripe).

Which you chose to install ...

But I take your point - most EULAs are pointless and do people actually ever bother reading them most of the time?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

AdrianJMartin wrote:

They are mostly unenforceable...

... a court took one look at would throw out as invalid, IMO, but what do I know?

Why is it that everybody justifies to themselves that [insert logical argument here] so a court would throw it out?

Never underestimate what a court will deem to be enforcible, and don't fall into the trap of thinking that a court will follow your line of reasoning (which is flawed).

You will notice that in practically every EULA there is a clause for governing law which includes the enforcement rights of the EULA provider. It typically says what happens if the EULA is incompatable with the law in your local juristiction and what happens if the EULA contradicts other advice from the EULA provider.

Since you have accepted these terms and conditions, you should not expect a court to ever throw out a breach-of-contract hearing for an EULA on the basis that "It's unenforcible" or "it's contradictory" or "it's irrational"

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

So if you put an Apple-sticker on a Dell-computer, you would be allowed to run the software?

• User profile image
    Massif

I figured it was if someone from apple put a sticker on your machine you'd be allowed to use it.

I guess that's what can happen if you use your off-the-peg EULA without checking it's still going to apply.

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

Rossj wrote:

AdrianJMartin wrote:

your Software Update( more of a force iTunes onto every pc installer.. but thats another gripe).

Which you chose to install ...

Actually I had to search and find the Quicktime only installer which in turn installs apple software update...which in turn automatically offers to install Itunes + Quicktime, and sometimes updates apple certificates

NO quicktime only upgrade from the automatic updater [C]

• User profile image
    Rossj

I meant you installed the automatic update. You don't *have* to install it ... and knowing Apple and QT you'd be wise not to

• User profile image
    Custa1200

My HP Workstation has an Apple sticker on the side. haha, but I get delivery on my new baby tomorrow, my Mac mini for the lounge room.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.