Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Oh my lord.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well as many of you know I'm now 13, 14 soon Big Smile:D! And i've just gone to Form 3/year 9 in school. I was expecting it to get harder; considering I am taking my GCSE set exams at the end of the year.

I have to hand it to my school, they have jumped straight in there with work, and I enjoy it. I've had.. 9 homeworks this week. 7 have to been to cover books. Since _when_ was that a homework that took 1 week to do?

The other two...

Geography: Write a one page report on a chosen Country. Or thats what the brief said; _you_ don't get to choose. Ok fine, a page. No sweat. Then I read on to see when it was in by... 2 WEEKS???

TWO WEEKS??

WHAT??

To write _one_ page? C'mon! Give it 3 days, at most. I wrote 4 pages and a bit, jam packed with stuff (not to blow my own horn or anything, but its like gold-dust). Whoo A* here I come.

Design And Technology: Do a mind map about yourself. Ok, fine, great. Again, 2 WEEKS. Crazy. With the Geography I was kindof sympathetic, that you'd have to find out stuff about the country and stuff, but I spent ~3 hours researching and maybe 5/6 hours comiling it up into something decent (and I'm betting he'll accuse me of copy-pasting and then go and tell me to re-write it. Or "dumb it down" perhaps) . But THIS? We have 2 weeks to draw some lines from "Me" telling people all about yourself? How much research would you need to do? "I don't like cheese." "I like green." Jesus.

Are todays children _REALLY_ just that stupid? COME ON! The curriculum needs a right kick up the @r$e.

</Rant>

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Write to the head of the school and ask him to sack one of your teacher for being incompetent. Always a good laugh.

Disclaimer: Don't try this, I've done it myself before and regretted it.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

GoddersUK wrote:
    Write to the head of the school and ask him to sack one of your teacher for being incompetent. Always a good laugh.

Disclaimer: Don't try this, I've done it myself before and regretted it.

LOL

What happened?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Angus

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Are todays children _REALLY_ just that stupid?

The grammar amuses me.

It depends what subjects you choose to do at GCSE, and how much work you want to put in. When I did Applied Business (Double Award) I found it taxing in the sense that I had to write a lot (over 65,000 words by the end of the course) and also one has to attain 90% overall for an A* (or technically A*A* [due to the double award nature of the course]).

At the time I thought GCSEs were pretty hard in terms of the time I had to spend on coursework (compared to homework in past years), but thinking back to the GCSE course, I was probably not working as hard as I could have done (I worked very, very hard in some subjects, but in others one could not work as hard as one could, and still attain a top grade [with a natural interest in the subject I would say]).

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

To write _one_ page? C'mon! Give it 3 days, at most. I wrote 4 pages and a bit, jam packed with stuff (not to blow my own horn or anything, but its like gold-dust). Whoo A* here I come.

Only a couple of things to say to this.

This sounds like the first week, is it?  What rate do you gain new work?  Is it a case you have a two week lead time but will be given two new reports a day? 

Sometimes the skill in writting these things is to stick to the limits provided, if they ask for one page, picking the most important stuff to include in a concise manner is as important as going on a 10 page cut'n'paste frenzy on google Wink

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

This is the first week yes, but this is exactly what happened last year. everybody in my class gets the same homework; I completed all the homeworks yesterday in a few hours, so the rest of my class should be able to do it in at _LEAST_ a day.

Last year started exactly like this; and I liked it, because it pushed me. I like being pushed. Overload me any day, I like it because it tests my limits and i want to broaden my limits. This isn't a push any more. I'll carry on getting 10 homeworks a week and they'll all probably be simple tasks.

My Geography teacher even said the essay was going to be one of the hardest homeworks of the year. Oh-my-effing-god.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

PerfectPhase wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Only a couple of things to say to this.

This sounds like the first week, is it?  What rate do you gain new work?  Is it a case you have a two week lead time but will be given two new reports a day? 

Sometimes the skill in writting these things is to stick to the limits provided, if they ask for one page, picking the most important stuff to include in a concise manner is as important as going on a 10 page cut'n'paste frenzy on google

Thats the thing, I didn't. I spent 1 hour planning stuff, mind map of what I should research, 3 hours (ish) making notes about everything I could think of, and then 5/6 hours compiling it into something decent. One page isn't enough for what I want to say, what I want to do.

If he accuses me of a google-cut'n'paste frenzy I'll gladly give him my 3 hours worth of notes and tell him where to shove them.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    LOL

What happened?

I did it in a bad mood without really thinking. I feel really guilty now because the teacher left and by saying she was incompetent I probably caused a great deal of personal hurt...

My form tutor (also head of the relevant department) said that while it wasn't best way to deal with the situation it wasn't the worst either.

The head of the school waited until my exam results in that subject came in and told me that I'd done well, so I must have had a good teacher. (My original teacher would not have said I'd done well, but rather than another confrontation I just let it die quietly).

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

GoddersUK wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    LOL

What happened?

I did it in a bad mood without really thinking. I feel really guilty now because the teacher left and by saying she was incompetent I probably caused a great deal of personal hurt...

My form tutor (also head of the relevant department) said that while it wasn't best way to deal with the situation it wasn't the worst either.

The head of the school waited until my exam results in that subject came in and told me that I'd done well, so I must have had a good teacher. (My original teacher would not have said I'd done well, but rather than another confrontation I just let it die quietly).

My friend had a teacher who called him a "Stupid idiot".

He went to the headmaster and the headmaster told him where to shove it (not literally) then they had a pretty blazing row about it; my friend bought his phone and recorded the lesson/her calling him it. The headmaster shut up pretty damn quick, and I now have a lot of respect for that friend for standing up to a man who could've written him off from the school at any moment. Takes guts, does something like that.

She promptly left.

Basically, what I'm saying is, school should be a little bit harder.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

yman wrote:
    From the sounds of it, I doubt that your classes are streamed by ability. Are you put in with everyone? from every ability?

That's one things I believe all state schools should adopt, here in the UK, streaming by ability, in every subject (well maybe not stuff like Citizenship, or any other equally silly classes etc). Though i guess there is a case to be made that there is a negative stigma of being in a lower band. But, you have to balance that with the benefit which you are doing to other students who can learn with their equals at the same speed and depth.

People in lower bands benifit too - they can learn at their own pace and don't get dragged along by the rest of the group until they're ready.

And perhaps citizenship (and other pointless subjects (key skills anyone?)) should be scrapped.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

If he accuses me of a google-cut'n'paste frenzy I'll gladly give him my 3 hours worth of notes and tell him where to shove them.

That comment wasn't aimed at you, I have friends who are teaches and some of the stuff that gets handed in is beyond belief!  Same paragraphs in different essays, the style of grammar changing from paragraph to paragraph etc......

• User profile image
    blowdart

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

Geography: Write a one page report on a chosen Country. Or thats what the brief said; _you_ don't get to choose.

I wrote 4 pages and a bit, jam packed with stuff (not to blow my own horn or anything, but its like gold-dust). Whoo A* here I come.

Bet? The question asked for one page. You did not answer the question. More information is not always better; in fact the question may well be testing your ability and skill to choose the most important information and summarise it in one page.

Do not make the mistake of thinking extra pages mean extra marks. You can and will be marked down for going over word counts.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

yman wrote:
    From the sounds of it, I doubt that your classes are streamed by ability. Are you put in with everyone? from every ability?

That's one things I believe all state schools should adopt, here in the UK, streaming by ability, in every subject (well maybe not stuff like Citizenship, or any other equally silly classes etc). Though i guess there is a case to be made that there is a negative stigma of being in a lower band. But, you have to balance that with the benefit which you are doing to other students who can learn with their equals at the same speed and depth.

I'm set in some stuff. There are 5 sets; Set 1 being highest. I'm set 1 maths, set 1 welsh, those are the only subjects I'm set in. I appreciate being set in maths, but it can sometimes be a little tedious and I wonder how all of the idiots who act up at every tiny oppertunity got in.

I am "set" in Science, but it can barely be called a set. While the rest of my year is set into proper sets, I have been put in with the English (my school has 9'1 - 9'6, 9'1/2/3 being Welsh 4: Bilingual 5: English 6: Special Needs) kids plus a few of the brighter ones from 9'6. I don't think it's that fair; if they can teach me Maths in set one in part Welsh/English they can certainly do it in science.

I'm only in an English class because I don't really like welsh language etc. and I want to continue my future in English; so it makes more sense. I understand the language perfectly, so I don't mind being dropped in with some Welshies.

Otherwise, I have friends from the bilingual class whom are in high sets, and they choose to do their Science work in English. So why the hell aren't i and some other kids? I know very well my abilities, and I could get into the high sets easily. i know other people in my "set" whom are bored with it. Perhaps a rebellion is in order! [6]

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

blowdart wrote:
    [quote user="Lloyd_Humph"
    Geography: Write a one page report on a chosen Country. Or thats what the brief said; _you_ don't get to choose.

I wrote 4 pages and a bit, jam packed with stuff (not to blow my own horn or anything, but its like gold-dust). Whoo A* here I come.

Bet? The question asked for one page. You did not answer the question. More information is not always better; in fact the question may well be testing your ability and skill to choose the most important information and summarise it in one page.

Do not make the mistake of thinking extra pages mean extra marks. You can and will be marked down for going over word counts.
    [/quote]

This is one of those lax ones...

"I want at least 1 page" were his exact words, so I suppose I'm allowed to go over.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    RobbieCrusoe

I'm going to sound like an old man here, but here goes...

I was one of the "lucky" people that took the first raft of GCSEs way back in the 80's, now my understanding of the change from GCE / O-Level to GCSE was that we were meant to think more for ourselves instead of learning everything by rote.

Whilst working in a school for 5 years, I came to the conclusion that that idea has gone out of the window.  Speaking to teachers, I got the impression that they were just telling the kids enough to get a good grade (and hence the school looks good) instead of allowing them to explore ideas for themseleves, hell I even had one teacher tell me she does some kids coursework just to make surethey get through.

This, in line with the fact that schoolkids tend to get / take 13,14,15 grades beggars belief at the state of our education system.  I took 8, that was the max we could do, fair enough some subjects involved 2 or three exams, but at the end of the day, I have 8 GCSEs, and by god they were hard! Smiley

It sounds quite possible (and this has been said above as well), that being asked to write 1 page on a subject is designed to make you think for yourself, get the relevant facts down etc.  A return to the real GCSE standard if you will!

OK, rant over.

Good luck with all your homework!... Sounds like you'll breeze through it! Smiley

• User profile image
    pruckelshaus

I'm a high school teacher in the USA (I teach web design and comp sci); my students are between 14 and 18 years old.  So, a number of my students are exactly your age...many of them are smart, but many of them are not.  It is that fact that is the most difficult aspect of teaching.

If all of my students had equal inteligence and ability, teaching would be a dawdle.  However, the fact of the matter is that I have to teach to the (or, more accurately, slightly above) the student that is the least common denominator in the class.  Therefore, it is actually my more advanced and capable students who "suffer".  What I do to keep them interested is I give them alternate goals that will allow them to do some level of self-actualization, keep them occupied, and, most importantly, keep them interested and engaged.  I think the issue is that your teacher should be doing just that.

If s/he is not, though, why not do that bit extra on your own?  There's nothing stopping you, right?  And perhaps your teacher will see you working beyond the rest of the class and give you additional opportunities.

Pete

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

pruckelshaus wrote:
    I'm a high school teacher in the USA (I teach web design and comp sci); my students are between 14 and 18 years old.  So, a number of my students are exactly your age...many of them are smart, but many of them are not.  It is that fact that is the most difficult aspect of teaching.

If all of my students had equal inteligence and ability, teaching would be a dawdle.  However, the fact of the matter is that I have to teach to the (or, more accurately, slightly above) the student that is the least common denominator in the class.  Therefore, it is actually my more advanced and capable students who "suffer".  What I do to keep them interested is I give them alternate goals that will allow them to do some level of self-actualization, keep them occupied, and, most importantly, keep them interested and engaged.  I think the issue is that your teacher should be doing just that.

If s/he is not, though, why not do that bit extra on your own?  There's nothing stopping you, right?  And perhaps your teacher will see you working beyond the rest of the class and give you additional opportunities.

Pete

I do loads for myself outside of school anyways, which is why I took up programming (despite the fact I'm not that good yet) but before that I did HTML and even taught myself a load of Greek. I like to keep on learning; I find it fun. I just find school a bore - in year 9 things _should_ get harder. But they don't. Year 7 and 8 were exactly the same; simple simple.

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.