Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sun Microsoft Partnershp for Windows Server 2003 on X64 Boxes

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

Ah, the classics Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Oh, YOU'RE making fun of another company's trail of tearful products? Smiley

• User profile image
    corona_coder

Anyone concerned about control over the server, stability, performance, flexibility and security doesn't use Windows Server anyway.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

corona_coder wrote:
    Anyone concerned about control over the server, stability, performance, flexibility and security doesn't use Windows Server anyway.

what's up? you're angry because apache has lost a lot of server marketshare too in september? don't worry, the trend won't stop Big Smile

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

corona_coder wrote:

You're absolutely right. People who use Windows server don't need to be concerned about those things because they know they're taken care of. Cool

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Sven Groot wrote:

corona_coder wrote:

You're absolutely right. People who use Windows server don't need to be concerned about those things because they know they're taken care of.
    hahaha good call!

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

Sven Groot wrote:

corona_coder wrote:

You're absolutely right. People who use Windows server don't need to be concerned about those things because they know they're taken care of.

On SA, we have an emoticon for this

:iceburn:

or maybe :supaburn:

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Ah, the classics

... and yet strangely enough, they managed to get a new file system out the door ....

What's that old quote? Something about 'glass houses'?

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

corona_coder wrote:

Haven't you gone yet? Come on, chop chop

• User profile image
    Wil

So Sun is now a Wintel vendor.  Scott McNealy must be turning over in his grave.

Oh, he's not dead yet?

Wanna bet?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

SUN Microcomputer Systems:  Beating a dead horse is job #1

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ray6 wrote:
    ... and yet strangely enough, they managed to get a new file system out the door ....

Expressionless

Sorry if I perturbed your little world... first of all, that's not something I made up. It was linked in the article and I found it funny.

And if you do not find that funny, then you should take a really long and good look at your gestalt and remove the stick from wher the Sun (sorry, JAVA) doesn't shine.

Have fun!

• User profile image
    Ray6

PaoloM wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

Sorry if I perturbed your little world... first of all, that's not something I made up. It was linked in the article and I found it funny.

My world is unperturbed, thanks for asking ...

PaoloM wrote:

And if you do not find that funny, then you should take a really long and good look at your gestalt and remove the stick from wher the Sun (sorry, JAVA) doesn't shine.

Oh, I found it funny. I just thought it was funnier that it came from someone working for at outfit that has made at least as many misteps and changes in direction. So I thought it was worth pointing out, because I'm pretty sure that sitting on top of your monopoly there, you sometimes forget ...

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Paolo has a monopoly? Like the game?

btw go JAVA go!

• User profile image
    Ray6

harumscarum wrote:

Paolo has a monopoly? Like the game?

Kind of like the game but with real money.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

What would be neat is if Sun and Microsoft worked on getting some, not all, of the Solaris features ported to Windows.  The new Filesystem would be cool, dTrace and Containers.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

There might be a FUSE port for Windows someday, which may later have ported user-space ZFS drivers.

Anyway ZFS isn't an all out deal. I read that the filesystem is somewhat memory intensive because of the way ZFS caches data to RAM before writing to disk. The FreeBSD implementation of ZFS recommends at least 1 GB of RAM to use it effectively. Its also recommended on 64 bit systems, where more than 4 GB of RAM can be addressed at a time (greater address space); If that much memory exists in the system, ZFS will embrace it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.