Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What would you do.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWmVIHTj73Q

Getting stuck in traffic is dangerous, but driving like this is obnoxous.

What would you do?

• User profile image
    Massif

Isn't that a video of getting stuck in traffic in Baghdad?

When sitting still in a big US Army vehicle makes you a target?

I think perhaps I'd get out, and go and talk to people, but then, in reality, I would never ever ever be in the army.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Massif wrote:
    Isn't that a video of getting stuck in traffic in Baghdad?

When sitting still in a big US Army vehicle makes you a target?

I think perhaps I'd get out, and go and talk to people, but then, in reality, I would never ever ever be in the army.

There's a bit of a catch 22 here -- the US Army come across to many people as arrogant (eg. barging cars out of the way), but at the same time (and partly because of the perceived arrogance) they are high visibility targets and can't always afford to show good manners.

Who'd like to be in that situation?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Massif

Dr Herbie wrote:

Who'd like to be in that situation?

A masochist with a death wish?

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

As both a former marine and someone with several friends in Baghdad at this moment, I am amazed by some of the comments on YouTube following that video. It's not about politics, or this war; my issue is most people seem to be unable to imagine what life is like outside of their world.

When a US military person is in a war zone they don't commute around. That driver was not just being a "d!ck". It is common knowledge there that you move for military vehicles. I don't have sound on this box, but I doubt that humvee was "just going somewhere". Was someone bleeding to death in back? Were they on the way to a bombing scene or a unit under fire? For that matter, when I was teenager I saw a fire truck push a stopped car with its hazards on while the driver was inside somewhere. 

The fact that the first thing people suggested was that it was just some U.S. Soldier tired of waiting in traffic boggles my mind.  I'm a really liberal guy and actually was opposed to this conflict since we were doing desert exercises in October of 2002.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

JohnnyAwesome wrote:
    As both a former marine and someone with several friends in Baghdad at this moment, I am amazed by some of the comments on YouTube following that video. It's not about politics, or this war; my issue is most people seem to be unable to imagine what life is like outside of their world.

When a US military person is in a war zone they don't commute around. That driver was not just being a "d!ck". It is common knowledge there that you move for military vehicles. I don't have sound on this box, but I doubt that humvee was "just going somewhere". Was someone bleeding to death in back? Were they on the way to a bombing scene or a unit under fire? For that matter, when I was teenager I saw a fire truck push a stopped car with its hazards on while the driver was inside somewhere. 

The fact that the first thing people suggested was that it was just some U.S. Soldier tired of waiting in traffic boggles my mind.  I'm a really liberal guy and actually was opposed to this conflict since we were doing desert exercises in October of 2002.

Unfortunately, they appear to be on a non-emergency mission.  You can hear some of the people in the vehicle laughing as they drive around  Sad   Laughter is how people deal with uncomfortable situations, so who knows what their motivation was, but it doesn't appear, on the surface, to be an urgent situation.

Simply being stuck in traffic like this makes them a target, though, which is why I asked the question.  They weren't just in regular traffic, it appears to be rush hour, and unless they were prepared to drive over a few cars, what else is there to do.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.