Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WPF 2.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

    Does anyone have any idea when this is likely? And possibly what changes have been made (to the libs)?

    I am still hoping for access to MediaElement's filtergraph, but not holding my breath.

  • User profile image
    reinux

    Bitmap effects on hardware would be nice.

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    reinux wrote:
    Bitmap effects on hardware would be nice.


    I always wonder if and how some of this general programming for the GPU is going to make it into libraries. I wonder if they inspect something like that...

  • User profile image
    intrepid

    I'd pay money to see that lol. Nothing worse that having to turn off shadows for any object that animates... and why can't I have blurs that fade in and out?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    I'd settle for decent performance for common controls like listboxes or dropdowns when they contain a lot of items.

  • User profile image
    nightski

    Have you tried customizing the virtualizing panel?  You can implement custom methods for this to get better performance.  Not saying it is going to solve your problems, but if you are having them and have tried other options it might be a good next step.

  • User profile image
    drhowarddrf​ine

    WPF is irrelevant to the internet?

    http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/01/another-one.html

    Random thoughts from somebody working on the next Windows OS

    Silverlight - A rewrite of WPF in unmanaged code; small, fast, excellently written. But probably too little, too late to make WPF and XAML relevant to the internet.


  • User profile image
    KevinB

    drhowarddrfine wrote:
    WPF is irrelevant to the internet?

    http://shippingseven.blogspot.com/2008/01/another-one.html

    Random thoughts from somebody working on the next Windows OS

    Silverlight - A rewrite of WPF in unmanaged code; small, fast, excellently written. But probably too little, too late to make WPF and XAML relevant to the internet.




    I read this post. I disagree with it for several reasons as each of those technologies are aimed at different audiences. Microsoft are offering a broad range of UI frameworks based on what you are trying to do, I definitely think that is not a bad thing.

    I question if that blog is by a Microsoft employee at all, as an intern, not even in COSD, I knew more about Windows 7 than he is saying on that blog...

  • User profile image
    Bas

    KevinB wrote:
    
    I question if that blog is by a Microsoft employee at all, as an intern, not even in COSD, I knew more about Windows 7 than he is saying on that blog...


    Same here. I can't really say that, in the small percentage of posts that are actually about 7 and not about some other random subject, I've read anything that I didn't already know.

    Even if he is an employee working on 7, I still don't see a reason to follow it.. yet.

  • User profile image
    drhowarddrf​ine

    It's not just one guy, he links to another.  And, Channel9 has another thread here about this same blog.  You can question whether he really does this work but you have no reason to believe he doesn't.

    You can't dismiss him because you disagree either.  If he really is an employee,  and I found the link from another blog, then that's pretty weighty material you are choosing to ignore.

  • User profile image
    erik_

    KevinB wrote:
    
    I question if that blog is by a Microsoft employee at all, as an intern, not even in COSD, I knew more about Windows 7 than he is saying on that blog...


  • Silverlight - A rewrite of WPF in unmanaged code; small, fast, excellently written. But probably too little, too late to make WPF and XAML relevant to the internet.

    A Microsoft employee would at least know that Silverlight 1.1/2.0 is using managed code and be able to name it in his/her point.

  • User profile image
    KevinB

    drhowarddrfine wrote:
    It's not just one guy, he links to another.  And, Channel9 has another thread here about this same blog.  You can question whether he really does this work but you have no reason to believe he doesn't.


    Well, forgive my cynicism, but I have found to pretty much disregard most blogs/experts about any subject on the internet until they are able to prove they are actually knowledgable. Especially if that person chooses to remain anonymous and offers up no proof that he may be an insider

    drhowarddrfine wrote:
    You can't dismiss him because you disagree either.  If he really is an employee,  and I found the link from another blog, then that's pretty weighty material you are choosing to ignore.


    I'm not dismissing his POV, he is entitled to his opinion, I just disagree with it...

  • User profile image
    ElucidWeb

    The sheer fact that he had to look up where the registry APIs were located (advapi32.dll).  I would say he definitely is a fake, I knew this when I was in highschool working with Visual Basic 4.  Seriously are you kidding me, in fact Visual Studio came with a tool, the name escaping me at the moment that would let you browse commonly used API methods by library name and advapi32.dll was one of them, if he is a Microsoft employee he is a complete moron and should be terminated!

    In fact I would even wonder if he knows who Dan Appleman even is, or if he even owns the book "A guide to Win32 API" every programmer that has ever messed with the Win32 API owns that book it is like a bible, and not even for VB programming but for Win32 programming in general...  Hell I was strictly against MFC when I was doing VC++ programming and this book was almost constantly open and I can't comprehend how a Windows developer would not know this by heart!

    Man crap like this really irritates me, I hate stupid programmers but I hate fakers even worse!!

  • Conversation locked

    This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.