Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

123456 or 456123?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Ian

I thought it was about time I watched Star Wars again* (this time with the kids who have never seen them) .

Gut feeling was 123456 but then I'm not sure I would want to know  that Darth was Lukes' Dad so early on!  So now I am thinking 456123.

Any thoughts?

* I believe necessary in order to avoid 'lapsed geek' syndrome.

• Sven Groot

If you're watching them with people who've never seen Star Wars, 456123 is the only order I think. There's lots of subtle references (actually, most of them are about as subtle as a brick to the head) in the new trilogy that you can only appreciate if you've seen the old trilogy first.

Plus as you indicated, seeing 123 first would ruin part of the mystery from 456. You'd know Luke and Leia are sisters, you'd know Vader is their father, you'd know who Yoda is, etc.

456123 definitely. The old three are better anyways. Smiley

• Rowan

Thanks for the spoilers, geez...

• mig

I guess I'm a sucker for order, but I saw them in 123456 a few months ago (I'd refused to watch any of the new trilogy until it was complete). However, I had seen 456 beforehand and I agree with Sven, 456 does give us some suspense with regards to Luke/Leia and Darth Vader. So I guess I'll second the 456123 order.

• Bas

I'd reccommend 456123 for a first time viewing, if only for the "I am your father" revelation, but definitely watch them as 123456 sometime, too. Especially part 3 adds a lot to many scenes in the old trilogy. Even some offhand remarks get double meanings.

• Tensor

456123. Let them see the good stuff first. If they watch 123 first it will put them off.

• AndyC

I'd go for 456, then pretend 1 and 2 didn't exist, then follow it up with 3 which, whilst still a bit pants, isn't as mind numbingly tedious as the other prequels.

• PerfectPhase

Bas wrote:
    I'd reccommend 456123 for a first time viewing, if only for the "I am your father" revelation, but definitely watch them as 123456 sometime, too. Especially part 3 adds a lot to many scenes in the old trilogy. Even some offhand remarks get double meanings.

So really the best order is 456123456?  Smiley

• Bas

PerfectPhase wrote:

Bas wrote:

So really the best order is 456123456? 

Either that, or 456123123456. Tongue Out

• sgomez

You already know the "big" secret so what's the point in pretending.
    I say 123456

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

sgomez wrote:
    You already know the "big" secret so what's the point in pretending.
    I say 123456

But the kids don't...  why would you want to spoil the magic for them Tongue Out

• Simo

AndyC wrote:
    I'd go for 456, then pretend 1 and 2 didn't exist, then follow it up with 3 which, whilst still a bit pants, isn't as mind numbingly tedious as the other prequels.

nah ... I say bin 3 as well.

Just 456.

And make sure it's a copy of 4 where Han shoots first and he doesn't do a CGI-skip over Jabba's tail.

Thought just occured to me. If you could go back in time and irradicate just one annoying cartoon character who would you go for?

Jar-Jar or the bloody paperclip?

• Lloyd_Humph

Simo wrote:

AndyC wrote:

nah ... I say bin 3 as well.

Just 456.

And make sure it's a copy of 4 where Han shoots first and he doesn't do a CGI-skip over Jabba's tail.

Thought just occured to me. If you could go back in time and irradicate just one annoying cartoon character who would you go for?

We all hate the paperclip; I think.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • Bas

Simo wrote:

Casper the friendly ghost.

• SlackmasterK

Sven Groot wrote:
    Plus as you indicated, seeing 123 first would ruin part of the mystery from 456. You'd know Luke and Leia are sisters, you'd know Vader is their father, you'd know who Yoda is, etc.

Nitpicker's Corner: Technically, despite appearances, Luke isn't a sister; thus they would be "Brother and Sister", or simply "siblings".

• SlackmasterK

Simo wrote:

Mickey Mouse. He started it all. The sci fi geeks would still come up with their own material, only with less inheritance; while Marketing would be far slower to pick up on it.

• W3bbo

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I haven't had any issues with clippy. It's very trivial to disable it, so what's the big deal?

• Lloyd_Humph

W3bbo wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I haven't had any issues with clippy. It's very trivial to disable it, so what's the big deal?

Because it's impossible to disable it in school?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.