Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

War of the worlds? Space illnesses?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

People getting ill from meteorite crater.

How many sci-fi books have I read where the plot has centered on something like this?

Are they going to be controlled by aliens? or perhaps some kind of new super illness has arrived from space.

• User profile image
    dahat

GoddersUK wrote:

How many sci-fi books have I read where the plot has centered on something like this?

Are they going to be controlled by aliens? or perhaps some kind of new super illness has arrived from space.

I best start rapidly breathing in case it's the Andromeda Strain... just in case.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

GoddersUK wrote:

Bush Has something to do with this.

He wants to start war with aliens.

Maybe them evil aliens sent a chemo rocket at us.Expressionless

• User profile image
    Bas

The Colour Out Of Space, by H.P. Lovecraft. Spooky!

• User profile image
    Harlequin

More easily they could just do what the aliens did in Starship Troopers. Just send a bunch of big rocks and wipe us out...quicker than Biological Warfare.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Harlequin wrote:
    More easily they could just do what the aliens did in Starship Troopers. Just send a bunch of big rocks and wipe us out...quicker than Biological Warfare.

But not as fun for them.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Options:

1) Something vaporized off of the rock itself (due to heat).  Heavy metals will mess you up pretty quickly if breathed.
    2) Something in the ground was boiled into a gas that they breathed.  mmmmm...swampwater.
    3) The rock is made of extremely radioactive material (doubtful).
    4) Mass hysteria

My vote is #4.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

ScanIAm wrote:

Options:

1) Something vaporized off of the rock itself (due to heat).  Heavy metals will mess you up pretty quickly if breathed.
    2) Something in the ground was boiled into a gas that they breathed.  mmmmm...swampwater.
    4) Mass hysteria

My vote is #4.

You missed alien warfare.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

GoddersUK wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

Options:

4) Mass hysteria

My vote is #4.

You missed alien warfare.

No I didn't Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

It's the mother ship come back to pick up Alan Cox

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

blowdart wrote:
    It's the mother ship come back to pick up Alan Cox

ROFL.Big Smile

• User profile image
    Wil

Apparently the meteorite hit a rather sandy rock formation or soil horizon, so it would have really pulverized a lot of the sand into fine dust ithat would linger in the air inside the crater.  Inhaling quartz dust will really irritate your throat and lungs.  Plus, the heat of impact would have fused a lot of material from the soil, and from the disintegrating meteorite, into fine particles.  Perhaps some of those could be suspended in the air, too.  I don't know what inhaling colloidal-sized glass shards does for you, but I doubt that it does you much good.

In a worst-case scenario, I suppose long-term exposure could cause that occupational disease of miners and sandblasters that's the longest word in the English language.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Wil wrote:
    Apparently the meteorite hit a rather sandy rock formation or soil horizon, so it would have really pulverized a lot of the sand into fine dust ithat would linger in the air inside the crater.  Inhaling quartz dust will really irritate your throat and lungs.  Plus, the heat of impact would have fused a lot of material from the soil, and from the disintegrating meteorite, into fine particles.  Perhaps some of those could be suspended in the air, too.  I don't know what inhaling colloidal-sized glass shards does for you, but I doubt that it does you much good.

In a worst-case scenario, I suppose long-term exposure could cause that occupational disease of miners and sandblasters that's the longest word in the English language.

Never fear folks, Phil Plait's on it.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

IIRC, this is exactly how Night of the Living Dead started.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Night of the Comet was better...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    IIRC, this is exactly how Night of the Living Dead started.

Or the better movie, Fido Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.