Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

I unistalled my Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • sgomez

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experiencie with Windows Vista.
    I'd also like to know your thoughts about it and ways to work arround the issues that made me downgrade.

http://sgomez.blogspot.com/2007/06/why-i-uninstalled-windows-vista.html
    Enjoy!
    Seba

• GoddersUK

Blog wrote:
    First of all, I noticed an extremely annoying pop up a little too often asking me if I was sure about running the setups.
    Including setups digitally signed by Microsoft, "what, don't you trust each other?" Smiley

On any other OS you'd have to sudo so what's wrong with a windows equivalent. If you really dislike it you can turn it off.

It's this kind of Vista waste that get's me. I'd love to have it but I can't and I'm forced to listen to people telling me they've bought it and unsalled it. Sad

• phreaks

The thing I dislike most about Vista is the 'Default' program, ya know?

If I have a file, (say a jpg) and I want to open it with Photoshop, but when I right click on the jpg, photoshop isn't in the list of applications to open or edit it with.

And you can't browse for an application to open it with, unless you want to set that application as the default for that file type.

Silly.

• erik_

[quote]

The first piece of software I installed was Visual Studio 2003, I still have some clients with applications in .net 2.0

Then I thought, well it's a good time to migrate my old clients to C# 2.0....

[quote]

Perplexed

• mawcc

phreaks wrote:

If I have a file, (say a jpg) and I want to open it with Photoshop, but when I right click on the jpg, photoshop isn't in the list of applications to open or edit it with.

And you can't browse for an application to open it with, unless you want to set that application as the default for that file type.

Silly.

Why not uncheck the option "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"?

• ZippyV

sgomez wrote:
    I tried to create a Virtual PC with the software I need but the I found out that I can't have SQL 2000 in a virtual PC which databases’ file are in the actual PC's drive

Sure you can, just install the vm additions and create a shared folder. A folder that is shared between the host and the virtual pc.

• JeremyJ

I am confused as to why people think that we care if you uninstall Vista (besides the obvious blog traffic generator).

I would much rather see people write posts outlining the problems they have had with Vista and how they solved them.  That would be much more productive.

• YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

JeremyJ wrote:
    I am confused as to why people think that we care if you uninstall Vista (besides the obvious blog traffic generator).

I would much rather see people write posts outlining the problems they have had with Vista and how they solved them.  That would be much more productive.

I just uninstalled Winzip: I really have to write a blog entry about this...

• jamie

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:

I just uninstalled Winzip: I really have to write a blog entry about this...

lol

• PerfectPhase

phreaks wrote:

What version of photoshop?  CS3 is listed on my machine for .jpg?

• phreaks

PerfectPhase wrote:

phreaks wrote:

What version of photoshop?  CS3 is listed on my machine for .jpg?

mawee wrote:

Why not uncheck the option "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"?

Because I don't want it to be the default application, I just want the option to pen it in photoshop.

It doesn't matter what the app is really, it is the feature I am speaking of.

Why can't I just add a program without making it the default for that file type...

• Sven Groot

phreaks wrote:
    Because I don't want it to be the default application, I just want the option to pen it in photoshop.

Why can't I just add a program without making it the default for that file type...

You can, and he just described how to do it.
    1. Right click a file.
    2. If Open With is a submenu, select "Open With/Choose Default Program..." (ignore the word default, you don't actually have to change the default program with this option). If it is not, select "Open With..."
    3. On the dialog, uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this file" option.
    4. Select the program you want.

By unchecking that option, you will not change the default program. The program you select will be added to the Open With list instead. In fact, it works exactly the same as in XP only the menu item has a different name and the checkbox is checked by default (it was there in XP, only not checked by default).

• cheong

phreaks wrote:

Silly.

It helps if you press "shift" key during right-click (or it works with App key? I can't remember clearly) to bring up "Advanced Extended context menu".

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • phreaks

Sven Groot wrote:

phreaks wrote:

You can, and he just described how to do it.
    1. Right click a file.
    2. If Open With is a submenu, select "Open With/Choose Default Program..." (ignore the word default, you don't actually have to change the default program with this option). If it is not, select "Open With..."
    3. On the dialog, uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this file" option.
    4. Select the program you want.

By unchecking that option, you will not change the default program. The program you select will be added to the Open With list instead. In fact, it works exactly the same as in XP only the menu item has a different name and the checkbox is checked by default (it was there in XP, only not checked by default).

I'll try that Smiley

Danke!

• sgomez

You guys suggested a lot of useful things to do. I made that post  some time ago and never had the excellent feedback I had today. So I guess it was a pretty good idea to "make" you read my blog Wink

One the other handI must say SQL server did not let me take the database files from a shared folder. I don't know, I didn't try that hard so maybe I did something wrong. But it did not work as I supposed it would.

And yes! I still have some clients with framework 1.1 Perplexed

Thanks guys,
    Regards,
    Seba

P.S: Sorry to those that didn't like me posting my blog here. For me it worked, but if it is against the rules I won't do it again Smiley

• Colin Angus Mackay

JeremyJ wrote:

I've only had a couple of minor problems with Vista and I'm keeping it. I blogged about the problems I had (it is the most read post on my blog) and how I got around them. That was months ago. I've not had any real problems since.

I'm very happy with Vista and have no intention of getting rid of it.

• Rich2k

The only problem I have EVER had with vista was the occasional BSOD on waking from sleep mode.  I tracked this down to a Beta copy of Checkpoint's VPN client for Vista.  This was the only version available when I first installed Vista but they've now got the final release and I've not had a single crash, non-working application, freeze, etc since.

• Sven Groot

As for your problems with SQL Server 2000 and Visual Studio 2003, you could always run them in a virtual machine. It's not an ideal solution but it does work.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.