Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Old black & white movie fav's ...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Obviously original King Kong (stayed up to watch it at midnight when i was a kid with mom) Citizen Kane... On the Waterfront.. um Stardust memories Wink ...

but the one that caught my eye was on last night - The Fountainhead

I had never seen this movie with gary cooper about not towing the line in a corp environment - but it was great

i dont know much about ann rand either - except my mom was in a play called January 16th - that had a different ending every night and the audience voted (many many years ago)

so.. i am not an ann ryand freak or anything..  but this was a really good movie

it came on at like 2am and i ended up watching the whole thing..

(* i thought it would have been cooler if the jury came back hung ( collective) and the judge (individual) had to deliver the verdict.. but it was really good.

anyway..bla bla.. what OLD BW movies do you like - that may have been over-looked  (i never even knew of this one)

edit: here is the speech at the end (id wait and rent the whole movie but whatever)

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Arsenic and Old Lace
    Dracula
    King Kong

• User profile image
    jamie

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    Dracula
    King Kong

thank you for rescuing me from a messy argument over the value IP in relationship to its innovative creation point.

yes messy!

african queen...  1/2 wizard of oz..  Wink

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Hitchcock's Psycho is good.

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

jamie wrote:

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    Dracula
    King Kong

thank you for rescuing me from a messy argument over the value IP in relationship to its innovative creation point.

yes messy!

african queen...  1/2 wizard of oz.. 

M?

• User profile image
    jamie

Dharma Punk wrote:

jamie wrote:

Dharma Punk wrote:
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    Dracula
    King Kong

yes messy!

african queen...  1/2 wizard of oz.. 

M?

no!....   Wink

ok ok...

if you want to know... i viewed some of the IP aspects of this movie as disturbing - but others as liberating..

i think to me the point is - go be gung ho over IP if you are indeed the innovator...  but basically shut up if you are copying...

cue the hordes...

* The Creature.. where is that remake?

• User profile image
    ironichi

Casablanca
    The Lady Eve
    Dear Ruth
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    All the Andy Hardy movies
    Witness for the Prosecution
    ("I am constantly surprised that women's hats do not provoke more murders.")

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Persona
    Wild Strawberries
    Seven Samurai

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

harumscarum wrote:

Seven Samurai

D'oh! Forgot that one.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Touch of Evil (even before I came to work at MS [6])
    Schindler's List (love that Itzhak Perlman violin solo)
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (I turn the color all the way down when I watch it)
    Gold Diggers of 1935 (no plot but great musical numbers)

• User profile image
    elmer

Gojira or Godzilla... the original B&W film.

• User profile image
    Bas

Personal favorites:

• King Kong, a childhood favorite and still my second-favorite movie of all time.
    • Casablanca, probably because the first time I saw it was right after I finished Grim Fandango. Also, it's featured in Quest For Glory 2.
    • The Maltese Falcon. Probably my favorite noir movie. I fondly remember one legendary night when I watched it, realised I had no idea exactly who was doublecrossing who, so I immediately watched it again and took notes (in OneNote Tongue Out) this time. Then, with my chronologic list of events at hand, I watched it a third time, and now I know exactly what's going on at any point in the movie.

jamie wrote:

african queen

I thought The African Queen was in color? Or maybe I've only seen the colored in version.

Speaking of colored in versions of black and white movies, I'd love to one day get my hands on the colorized version of Casablanca, because it's in such horrible taste. And I'm a sucker for bad taste.

• User profile image
    Wil

And on the comedy side of things, add any one of the Marx Brothers' classics (e.g., "Duck Soup") and W.C. Fields in "It's a Gift".  A number of Carg Grant comedies (mention has already been made of "Arsenic and Old Lace") certainly qualify, too.  And don't forget Laurel and Hardy!  (As I did, before I hastily edited this post.)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.