Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why is .NET getting its (I need to watch my language) kicked in social media?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Aarononthew​eb

I wrote an article on my blog AjaxNinja this morning basically asking why .NET is so under-represented in social media; a lot of the DZone community has provided me with some good answers, but a lot of RoR/PHP script kiddies did a fantastic job douching up my comments page.Is .NET getting it's (I need to watch my language) kicked in social media? What does Channel 9 think?If you want to read the original post, check out

http://www.ajaxninja.com/?p=168

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I have no idea what "social media" is...

• User profile image
    Aarononthew​eb

Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit, DZone, DotNetKicks

• User profile image
    Chadk

Aaronontheweb wrote:

Want to know what i think about those sites?

It has to do with some degree of retardness,alot of teenagers and some of the fun grass which you can smoke.

So do we need to be represented in these "social medias"? No, HARDLY.

• User profile image
    Bas

Why should anyone care if something is getting bashed by fanboy collectives? Who cares what they think?

• User profile image
    Chadk

Bas wrote:
    Why should anyone care if something is getting bashed by fanboy collectives? Who cares what they think?

Pretty much my point, stated in a bit nicer way.      

• User profile image
    Ray6

Aaronontheweb wrote:
    I wrote an article on my blog AjaxNinja this morning basically asking why .NET is so under-represented in social media; a lot of the DZone community has provided me with some good answers, but a lot of RoR/PHP script kiddies did a fantastic job douching up my comments page.Is .NET getting it's (I need to watch my language) kicked in social media? What does Channel 9 think?If you want to read the original post, check out

I think the problem is cost.

Sites like MySpace and FaceBook can be set up for next to nothing, and developed on just about any platform (a lot of creative web types are using Macs for development these days).

If you want to go the .NET route, then you are looking at Microsoft tools to develop it, and relatively expensive hosting services to run the site.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Ray6 wrote:
    I think the problem is cost.Sites like MySpace and FaceBook can be set up for next to nothing, and developed on just about any platform (a lot of creative web types are using Macs for development these days).
    Yea that's pretty much my feeling. the business model behind the sites at inception  - there isn't any; these things start off as someone's pet project, so there isn't money to spend The costs associated with Rails aren't obvious; people can pick up a host cheap and a development environment for free. Of course that bites you in the (I need to watch my language), Twitter is a good example with it's increasing scalability problems as more users appear which is basically down to Rails more than anything else.

• User profile image
    erik_

Aaronontheweb wrote:

I know Digg from that list and don't even visit it. Don't find it any usefull, don't know why. I visted it once and don't really feel the need to revisit, there's nothing there that isn't elsewhere. I visit DotNetKicks sometimes. It's an interesting site, but contains to much noise I am not interested in. I find a site like codeproject way more usefull than DotNetKicks.

Define what you mean by social media, because that is a very global term. You currently just give a set of collaborative link rating sites and say only that is social media. Which is certainly not the case. Even this site has a lot of social media aspects. It sounds like you are not calling this a social media site, because it isn't hyped as Web2.0.

• User profile image
    elmer

Apple marketing work very hard at maintaining their “cool” “hip” “young” and “open” image ...and the fact that it works as a business-plan for a public company, tells you how cynical they are and how easily manipulated the marketplace is.

We can all learn from them... create a chat-site that’s scathingly anti-MS and plonk a bunch of google-ads on it or use your hits to get some real advertisers... then sit back and watch the fun, while you get paid.

• User profile image
    Ray6

elmer wrote:
    Apple marketing work very hard at maintaining their “cool” “hip” “young” and “open” image ...and the fact that it works as a business-plan for a public company, tells you how cynical they are and how easily manipulated the marketplace is.

That is certainly very true. I amazed at how their supporters rag on about how 'closed' and 'proprietary' MS is, without seeing a problem with Apple trying to lock out other media software from using the iPod.

And bundling? How come I have to download the whole iTunes mess, when all I want is to watch a trailer in Quicktime?

elmer wrote:

We can all learn from them... create a chat-site that’s scathingly anti-MS and plonk a bunch of google-ads on it or use your hits to get some real advertisers... then sit back and watch the fun, while you get paid.

Yeah, but there are other reasons why they are not built using MS tech; the main one is price. A LAMP stack is practically free and the results are just as good.

• User profile image
    smnbss1

I don't think the problem is costs...
    You can find Visual Studio.NET on torrent and eMule... the same is for Sql Server... is not that difficult. (i've mine from my company don't warry about that)

I think php is more used by that people because the approach to the language and to the platform seems to be more easy... no object model oriented language, less functionalities on the IDE...

Is a good platform to learn the basis of web development.

• User profile image
    blowdart

smnbss1 wrote:
    You can find Visual Studio.NET on torrent and eMule... the same is for Sql Server... is not that difficult. (i've mine from my company don't warry about that)

It's not up front development cost; it's hosting. Add SQL server to a hosting agreement and the price gets silly fast compared to LAMP

• User profile image
    SpongeBob​SquarePants

I don't think that .NET will ever be seen as cool in the eyes of "social media" purely because it was developed and pioneered by Microsoft and it's always been cool amongst the kids to hate Microsoft.

I don't think that Microsoft are going to lose any sleep over this. .NET is really starting to shape up in other areas - the business, the corporate, the enterprise. You've only got to look at software products like Sage (for example), a whole host of enterprise document management systems, the myriad of cost recovery systems, print job accounting systems. On installation of a lot of these products I find that the .NET framework is bootstrapped in. Indeed there is one product that we supply and the whole thing - and believe me it's pretty big - is written in C#2.0.

.NET is getting better and better with age - rather like a good bottle of wine. Personally I couldn't give a **(I must watch my language)** what these "social media" sites say.

• User profile image
    smnbss1

I'm hosting my website paying less than 30E/year for unlimited hard disk size and 50MB of Sql Server 2005 database...
    Is not so expensive.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Aaronontheweb wrote:

very simple:

I use .net to get a job done.

not to have a popularity contest.

as I recall it was a Black Sabbath song (? or was it someone else?)
    that had this lyric:

If you listen to fools; the mob rules!

not to say they are all fools....

but if you spend to much time following a crowd you may not get much done.

there is a lot of "Noise" out there; Open Source, free, BSD,GPL,Linux,Java,IDE's, IBM,Oracle,MySQL,Postgress,WPF,PDF,HTTP,XML,REST,JSON,
    POX,AJAX,iPod,iTunes,Apple,Novell,SCO,DRM,OO,PHP,APACHE,Perl,Ruby
    the list goes on and on and on.... 

all manner of things you can latch onto.... an any of them can be usefull or a waste of time and energy depending on how, when and where you use them and how much time you spend on them.

no one "right" answer, just a 10000000000000 things to choose from.

so given the limited span of hours in a day which things matter?

as long as .net works for me and my customers an i get paid then I good with that.

sure I want to "spread the word" but in a more relaxed way.
    not an "in your face" way.

• User profile image
    Ray6

smnbss1 wrote:

Well that's piracy, and folk probably realise that MS is going to stamp down hard on it one day. With your site developed using pirated MS tech, you may find your upgrade/bug fix path blocked when MS weaves some of that WGA magic into their development tools.

Develop in LAMP and you're free forever.

smnbss1 wrote:
    I
    I think php is more used by that people because the approach to the language and to the platform seems to be more easy... no object model oriented language, less functionalities on the IDE...

Is a good platform to learn the basis of web development.

Well you don't have to get bogged down with objects in ASP.NET either.

• User profile image
    Ray6

figuerres wrote:

sure I want to "spread the word" but in a more relaxed way.
    not an "in your face" way.

amen ...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.