Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

WTF BSG?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Harlequin

Next season...

"The regular, 20-episode fourth season is rumored to be split into two halves — the first 10 episodes airing beginning in February 2008, and the second 10 installments airing in February 2009."

Kind of sucks if it's true...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_%282004_TV_series%29#Season_Four

• dahat

Damn you Sci-Fi!

I guess they forgot about the anger they got after Season 2 of BSG which lead to S3 being less interrupted.

Hell, it was that same kind of crap that lead to the death of Farscape so long ago.

Edit: One other thought... I wonder if filming will be similarly delayed... if not, that means it is quite possible that a foreign network like Sky will air the full season uninterrupted and US fans will resort to piracy to see it on time as they did for season 1. 

• ScanIAm

Yeah, I'd read that, too, but I'd also read that this was the last season. 

I can't hit wikipedia from here, but is there any mention of that?

• dahat

The Wikipedia article references this page which says:

Douglas, Bamber and Hatch were talking about the current gap in the show and one of them said that the plan was to split the final season between 2008 and 2009, a lot of people laughed and thought it was a joke and that they were ripping sci-fi. But then Bamber said "no, really. That's the plan right now." and then the audience groaned. So he may have been adding to the "joke" but that was not the impression I got. He even went on to say that that is how Sci-Fi essentially gets two final seasons for the cost of one.

• ScanIAm

I guess 'final season' means it's ending Sad

• Sampy

Dr Who is better anyway.

• PaoloM

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

Torchwood is the cool thing now Smiley

• Tensor

Yeah, I dont think they are that worried about pissing people off too much in that they have said it will be the last series. I actually think thats a good thing. Too many TV series just kind of tale off and then never finish. Finish it and do it well and it will live forever!

• dahat

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

At times perhaps... but that depends far to much on who wrote the episode and far to many DW's have been horrible thanks to Russell T Davies.

• Tensor

PaoloM wrote:

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

Torchwood is the cool thing now

Tell me you dont really believe that. My god. An exercise in bad acting and poor writing. I mean, they have to make sure you kind of know its like, an "adult" version of doctor who by swearing and then looking meaningfully at the camera. And then a woman snogs some other woman. Wow. Edgy. Embarassed

• dahat

Tensor wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

Tell me you dont really believe that. My god. An exercise in bad acting and poor writing. I mean, they have to make sure you kind of know its like, an "adult" version of doctor who by swearing and then looking meaningfully at the camera. And then a woman snogs some other woman. Wow. Edgy.

Maybe he's just a big fan of same sex kissing in virtually every episode?

• Rory

Tensor wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

Tell me you dont really believe that. My god. An exercise in bad acting and poor writing. I mean, they have to make sure you kind of know its like, an "adult" version of doctor who by swearing and then looking meaningfully at the camera. And then a woman snogs some other woman. Wow. Edgy.

Except for the cyberwoman and sexalien episodes, I loved season one of Torchwood.

It's not Dr. Who, but it held me over a bit.

When Captain Jack was on Dr Who, it took a lot of getting used to - I feel like he was cast because he has such a ridiculously deliberate manner of articulation that all the limeys could easily understand him. If that's not the case, then I don't know how they chose *him*.

But I like him now. He's improved a lot.

And so I declare Torchwood nifty.

• Tensor

Rory wrote:

Tensor wrote:

PaoloM wrote:

Sampy wrote:
    Dr Who is better anyway.

Except for the cyberwoman and sexalien episodes, I loved season one of Torchwood.

It's not Dr. Who, but it held me over a bit.

When Captain Jack was on Dr Who, it took a lot of getting used to - I feel like he was cast because he has such a ridiculously deliberate manner of articulation that all the limeys could easily understand him. If that's not the case, then I don't know how they chose *him*.

But I like him now. He's improved a lot.

And so I declare Torchwood nifty.

Oooo looky a big scary demon! and its killing everyone! but whats this? Captain jack! He's got too much livin to give! Whats that you say? Deus ex Machina?

I'm going to vomit just thinking about it.

• Rory

Tensor wrote:
    Oooo looky a big scary demon! and its killing everyone! but whats this? Captain jack! He's got too much livin to give! Whats that you say? Deus ex Machina?

Yeah, but how close is that to Dr. Who? I forget the name of the episode, but it was the planet that wouldn't flush down the black hole. Doc goes down, finds the devil, and shows him who's boss.

I think that what it comes down to is the characters. The stories in Torchwood and Dr. Who are, more often than not, lame (with "Blink" being a huge exception).

Think about all the episodes of Dr. Who where the doctor and sidekick are almost nowhere to be found. I mean, an episode where a bunch of Doctor conspiracy theorists get together to form a cover band? That one episode carried more lame than all the natural lame of Dr. Who and Torchwood combined.

But, I love the characters in Torchwood. I'm not looking for some intellectually challenging experience - I like the simplicity. It's an easy break from a crappy day.

Although the Doctor (especially David Tennant's) carries more awesome than just about any other television hero ever, it doesn't mean Torchwood sucks. I think the comparisons only happen because they part of the same general franchise.

• Cyonix

dahat wrote:
    sex kissing in virtually every episode
    lol so true

• Rory

dahat wrote:

I definitely am.

It isn't well done - tends to be gratuitous - but I'd rather have it than not.

I don't know about the rest of limey television, but as far as I can tell, homosexuals and bisexuals don't get any representation on American TV.

• ScanIAm

Rory wrote:

dahat wrote:

I definitely am.

I don't know about the rest of limey television, but as far as I can tell, homosexuals and bisexuals don't get any representation on American TV.

I'm not sure if that's true.  They just don't get much in primetime on public airwaves ("Won't somebody think about the children?").  I do seem to recall that the female cylons did a lot of 'close talking', 'face stroking', and 'meaningful looks' in a few of the earlier BSG epis. 

Of course, over here, "hot chix kissin'" is about the only acceptable alternative lifestyle.

• Rory

ScanIAm wrote:

Rory wrote:

dahat wrote:

I definitely am.

I'm not sure if that's true.  They just don't get much in primetime on public airwaves ("Won't somebody think about the children?").  I do seem to recall that the female cylons did a lot of 'close talking', 'face stroking', and 'meaningful looks' in a few of the earlier BSG epis. 

Of course, over here, "hot chix kissin'" is about the only acceptable alternative lifestyle.

Yeah - I saw that stuff, but it's pretty tame. Especially since I grew up with awesome magazines in which women tangled with women regularly.

For TV, it seems different. The way Torchwood seems different is in the casual way sexuality is treated - except for a couple exceptions, the characters are experimental. Not always with good results, but I've certainly known my share of women who gave it a try. Some liked it; some just felt weird. Either way, the portrayal in Torchwood of those fuzzy boundaries, although, as I previously said, often gratuitous, was still reflective of the real world.

Then there's Captain Jack. That's the huge departure from regular old television. I'm thinking specifically of the episode in which he gets sent back to the war where he meets his namesake, quickly becomes intimate, and then engages in the single longest homosexual male kiss that I know of on regular old TV.

It was poorly done, and with too much self-awareness. The kiss lasted far longer than it should have, and there was a background of light that haloed the two. I thought it was great that they put it in there, but the we're-showing-a-couple-gay-guys-and-we're-going-to-shock-you-with-it presentation was lame. They should have just done the scene without all the pomp - if the goal is to get people used to the idea that homosexuals aren't just a faceless demographic, then getting that kiss out as normally as possible would have been the most effective means to that end. All the extra trimming only served to keep them isolated as a group.

So, I see what you mean about BSG, but the execution is far more explicit with Torchwood, and it spans every gender I can think of, including aliens Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.