Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

WTF BSG?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • ScanIAm

Sadly, though, it appears that we don't get torchwood in tallahassee.

I'm sure it's for our best interest....and stuff.

meh...I just go back to watching WWE Sad

• irascian

I don't like saying this as a "fellow gay" but BSG is adult, whereas Dr Who, unless Stephen Moffat has written the episode and stood his ground when Russel T Davies has tried to dumb him down, is strictly for kids.

And Russel T Davies is the reason Who (and Torchwood) is such a pile of Poo most of the time.

There was hope that when he and his cronies said they were all leaving at the end of the next season that the series might get someone who might shift it back on track (make Moffat script editor - please!) but the recent announcement of the series taking a year's sabbatical hints that megalomaniac Davies isn't as stupid as I think he is and is going to return after a well-earned rest.

But honestly, Sampy if you really think Who or Torchwood are quality can I have some of the drugs you must be on?

Ian
    (currently obsessed with Heroes in HD-DVD goodness and a series which is actually living up to all the hype, but I haven't got to the last 5 minutes of the series yet which everyone tells me is a big let down)

• Tensor

irascian wrote:
    (currently obsessed with Heroes in HD-DVD goodness and a series which is actually living up to all the hype, but I haven't got to the last 5 minutes of the series yet which everyone tells me is a big let down)

Heroes is amazing. "big let down" unfortunatley doesnt go half way to describing what a let down it is.

• blowdart

irascian wrote:
    I don't like saying this as a "fellow gay" but BSG is adult, whereas Dr Who, unless Stephen Moffat has written the episode and stood his ground when Russel T Davies has tried to dumb him down, is strictly for kids.

And there's not enough Judy Garland? Tongue Out

The whole new reinvention of Dr Who has been disappointing. Part of it is the self contained nature of it, the need to wrap an episode up in one sitting because no-one has the attention span to cope with waiting for 4 episodes to have a conclusion. Part of it was the humanisation of the Daleks, and indeed the humanisation of the Doctor himself. There's no real otherworldliness about him now, except when they bring up the fact that he has two hearts. Then there's the problem of the selfishness of the targetted audience where every episode must revolve around humans or what they have turn into. Aliens are just bit characters, or worse sterotyped villians. Change the aliens to russians and you basically have James Bond.

• Cyonix

blowdart wrote:

irascian wrote:

And there's not enough Judy Garland?

The whole new reinvention of Dr Who has been disappointing. Part of it is the self contained nature of it, the need to wrap an episode up in one sitting because no-one has the attention span to cope with waiting for 4 episodes to have a conclusion. Part of it was the humanisation of the Daleks, and indeed the humanisation of the Doctor himself. There's no real otherworldliness about him now, except when they bring up the fact that he has two hearts. Then there's the problem of the selfishness of the targetted audience where every episode must revolve around humans or what they have turn into. Aliens are just bit characters, or worse sterotyped villians. Change the aliens to russians and you basically have James Bond.
    I agree, however i really like David Tennant as Doctor Who

• Sabot

Dr Who is just fun bubble-gum Sci Fi, it doesn't tax the little grey cells to much, it's good old safe family viewing.

Touchwood didn't float my boat. Nothing to do with sex or the 'edgy' content, I have no problem with all that infact I wished it was normal in all drama's just like life. My problem was the stories, they were just rubbish and the whole set-up was just rubbish to. Wouldn't you at least think they could be more professional rather than just a bunch of cowboys?

BSG has good stories and good acting, no surprise to me that it's won the odd award, I just wished us Brits could produce such strong drama's. Spliting the season up in 10 weeks slots sounds like the UK, Our series are always shorter, 22 weeks is a long series!

Heros just shows that the Amercians can continue to make the best Sci Fi drama time and time again. The main things are acting and story and they are both good, as for effects well they just aid the story but are well executed. My favourite so far is when Hero rescue the little girl from the truck in down-town Tokyo by pausing time, just so much detail, watch it in slo-mo to really appreciate it. ... So Ian you are watching it in HD goodness ... I'm sooo jealous! So has season 2 started in the states?

• ScanIAm

Sabot wrote:
    So has season 2 started in the states?

Nope, not yet.  This is the end of the summer season here in the US, so a bunch of decent shows are finishing up.  EUReKA is still running, we've got new (to us) epis of the Doctor on Sci Fi here, but no Heroes, no Lost, no BSG, wah.

It's kind of cool that we can get to a situation where there are actually well done shows that I'm not embarassed to say I'm looking forward to. 

I'll wait if they don't make me hate myself for waiting Smiley

• Sampy

Rory wrote:
    Except for the cyberwoman and sexalien episodes, I

AFK, Torchwood.

In all seriousness, there are two reasons I loved Dr Who series 1 and 2: The Doctor (both of them) and Rose. Maybe it's my inability to detect cheesyness in an English accent but I really liked every episode. The first Dalek one was lame, I'm with you on 'Daleks need to be evil', but what it revealed about the Doctor was worth suffering a little cheese. I love the Doctor character quite a bit. He's dramatic, conflicted, and funny. Tennet has surpassed Eccelston for me but that's not a dig on Eccelston but Tennet has been rocking as the loney traveler. I haven't seen Blink yet, just the buzz, but I actually really liked the "Love and Monsters" episode where the crew of Doctor hunters bands together. Where else are you going to get a pavement sex joke? C'mon!

When I watch BSG, my brain is always going. I'm thinking about theories, what could they do next, and trying to get into the writer's head. When I watch Dr Who, I can just let go and enjoy myself. Not in a childish or escapist way; the show really just grabs a hold of my emotions and I let it.

I'd trade BSG for more Dr Who in a second. If loving that show is wrong, I don't want to be right! Tongue Out

• ScanIAm

Ya know what would make BSG really, really ace?

They should add a child character or two and a robot dog Smiley

Honestly, I wonder sometimes if the reason BSG is so critically acclaimed is that the original show sucked so incredibly much.  Even as a kid, I'd only watch it because the cylon voices sounded cool and the led eyes were nifty.

• Tensor

ScanIAm wrote:

When I read this bit...

ScanIAm wrote:
    They should add a child character or two and a robot dog

... I Frackin KNEW you'd write that next!

ScanIAm wrote:
    Honestly, I wonder sometimes if the reason BSG is so critically acclaimed is that the original show sucked so incredibly much.  Even as a kid, I'd only watch it because the cylon voices sounded cool and the led eyes were nifty.

I think I had low quality control at that age. I loved Galactica as a kid. And Buck Rogers. But mostly Galactica. I really, really wanted one of those colonial fighter brown suede with oversized fake gold buckle jackets.

Then they got to Earth and the dream was over.

• irascian

Sabot wrote:
    So Ian you are watching it in HD goodness ... I'm sooo jealous! So has season 2 started in the states?

Don't know about Season 2.

Series 1 on region free HD-DVD is under £50 from Movietyme and no import duties. In the meantime the UK have just released the first HALF of Season 1 on bog-standard DVD for almost the same amount of money. We Brits get screwed over again.

• Sabot

irascian wrote:

Sabot wrote:
    So Ian you are watching it in HD goodness ... I'm sooo jealous! So has season 2 started in the states?

Don't know about Season 2.

Series 1 on region free HD-DVD is under £50 from Movietyme and no import duties. In the meantime the UK have just released the first HALF of Season 1 on bog-standard DVD for almost the same amount of money. We Brits get screwed over again.

I know it takes the mick! Take for instance the Wifey this morning was buying £2.99 DVD's from Sainsbury's (a large supermarket chain in the UK) one of which was MI:III. The thing is I've already got it, I bought when it first came out for a lads 'beer and pizza night' and the price sticker is still on it at £15.99 ...

... so how many things to you know depreciate by nearly 80% in less than 12 months?

Is it a question of British/Northern Rock style ability to do sums, or are DVD's serious inflated in value in the first place? Hmm the later then methinks so who is going to protect us from this blatant racketeering?

Sadly I feel our Government is all in favour of milking the public like a cow ... hey they are first in line with income/inheritance and VAT! No wonder 750,000 Brits emigrated last year! 

• ScanIAm

Tensor wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

When I read this bit...

ScanIAm wrote:
    They should add a child character or two and a robot dog

... I Frackin KNEW you'd write that next!

ScanIAm wrote:

I think I had low quality control at that age. I loved Galactica as a kid. And Buck Rogers. But mostly Galactica. I really, really wanted one of those colonial fighter brown suede with oversized fake gold buckle jackets.

Then they got to Earth and the dream was over.

I think I was just old enough to recognize cheese when I saw it Smiley  The space fights were cool, but they started to re-use the same footage over and over again.

I liked Buck Rogers, too, but for very, very different reasons (re: puberty and such).  I think I still have a crush on Erin Gray.

But nothing was as cool as Space:1999.   I think that was produced in the UK, which may explain why it doesn't run in sydication in the USA Sad

• Sampy

Born in '81, I was too young to catch these when they ran the first time but the SciFi channel launched when I was 11 and had all of these. I loved Galactica even if I saw it out of order and in bits and pieces. Buck Rogers felt a bit cheesy for me and I could never get into Space:1999.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.