Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Alternative to MSN File Transfers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Live Messenger file transfers sometimes take forever.

I've been transferring a 700 Mb File for 14 hours now, and only 300 mb have transferred so far.

Does anyone know of a better and faster way to transfer files to friends?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Swapper

Or find the file on a torrent site, if thats possible. For example, if you're sending a 700mb mvoie, its just as illegal as giving the other person a torrent.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Swapper

Or find the file on a torrent site, if thats possible. For example, if you're sending a 700mb mvoie, its just as illegal as giving the other person a torrent.

LOL, it's a home video.

Does Swapper have ad/spyware?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

No, I haven't found any spyware.

I recommend you register another email address for it though, because it asks for your MSN address/password and I never trust stuff like that.

As for the home video, I'm not accusing you or anything, but I'm just using it as an example. Y'know what I mean Wink

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    blowdart

phreaks wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Swapper

LOL, it's a home video.

200Mb too big for skydrive.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

phreaks wrote:

blowdart wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Swapper

LOL, it's a home video.

Since most people today have broadband, and digital video recorders, you would think ther would be more service avaialbe catering to the needs of this...

MediaMax has 25gb online? I think theres a 10mb limit though, but I *think* that is abolished by downloading their uploader and not usingn their online one.

Last modified
  • User profile image
    phreaks

blowdart wrote:

phreaks wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Swapper

LOL, it's a home video.

Since most people today have broadband, and digital video recorders, you would think there would be more services available catering to the needs of this...

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Phreaks, I'd like it if you would try our company's Transceiver technology for secure file delivery. You can create an account for you and your friend here and download our Transceiver Communicator client here. After you enter your account information in Communicator, don't forget to add each other's Transceiver address to your list of Trusted Addresses (second tab page in the Account dialog).

Let me know if you want to try it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

phreaks wrote:

Live Messenger file transfers sometimes take forever.

I've been transferring a 700 Mb File for 14 hours now, and only 300 mb have transferred so far.

Does anyone know of a better and faster way to transfer files to friends?

Use my LAN's DC's IIS installation. I copy the file over the LAN, give my contact the URL of my Internet-exposed IIS installation, and let the transfer commence.

And since it's HTTP, you can stop/resume it at any point.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Or you could use Bittorrent.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ZippyV wrote:

I can't find a "Connect to IP" option in Azureus. You'd need to manage your own tracker too.

• User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

the solution is very simple and it's a shame that nobody here knew it since it's now owned by MS: FOLDERSHARE. it looks they should advertize more this free service :O

• User profile image
    blowdart

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    the solution is very simple and it's a shame that nobody here knew it since it's now owned by MS: FOLDERSHARE. it looks they should advertize more this free service

Ummm foldershare got rolled into MSN and turned into their sharing folder system

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Sending stuff over messanger really does suck. That d/l finished yet? Tongue Out

Last modified
  • User profile image
    YearOfThe​LinuxDesktop

blowdart wrote:

Ummm foldershare got rolled into MSN and turned into their sharing folder system

the Live Messenger's folder sharing is extremely limited: certain file extensions aren't allowed (this really sucks), the folder sharing is only per-contact (foldershare lets you share the same folder with multiple users and each download is distributed through the users network so sync takes a lot less), you lack all the advanced sharing privileges, it's slower since it relies on messenger transfers (that have small send buffers), et.

Foldershare's client is very small and lightweight, you can easily access your shared files from foldershare's website (no need to install the client, you can access your files from pratically any place where a browser is available) and its servers have surely more uptime than Messenger's. it offers a far more professional and useful service than the MSN's crippled version.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

W3bbo wrote:

ZippyV wrote:

I can't find a "Connect to IP" option in Azureus. You'd need to manage your own tracker too.

ĀµTorrent FTW. You don't need a tracker when you have the torrent file and the ip-address.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

blowdart wrote:

YearOfTheLinuxDesktop wrote:
    the solution is very simple and it's a shame that nobody here knew it since it's now owned by MS: FOLDERSHARE. it looks they should advertize more this free service

Did it? News to me...

• User profile image
    phreaks

TommyCarlier wrote:

Phreaks, I'd like it if you would try our company's Transceiver technology for secure file delivery. You can create a test account for you and your friend here and download our Transceiver Communicator client here. After you enter your account information in Communicator, don't forget to add each other's Transceiver address to your list of Trusted Addresses (second tab page in the Account dialog).

Let me know if you want to try it.

Thanks Tommy, I'll give it a try.

Llyod... Swapper apparently has a 250 MB limit on transfers...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.