Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

England's Tech Industry?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    themaffeo

I've been lightly toying with the idea of spending a year or two in england - getting a job, the whole nine yards.  I'm a highly skilled vb.net developer - but does anyone know what the tech industry in england is like? Is it hard to find jobs? Anyone have experience moving from the US to England?

Any info or resources?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    rcardona

do you like paying taxes, mate?

• User profile image
    JonLumb

Generally speaking:

People in England get paid more for what they do.

However, they pay more tax, and everything in the UK costs more than it does in the US  (up to a factor of two with software).

For earning a decent amount, and that is highly possible if you are a vb.net developer, you will want to look at contracting somewhere in London.  Getting a contracting job on £250-£300 ($500-$600) per day is about the bottom of the pay scale there for a contractor (~£75,000 or $150,000 per year).

• User profile image
    blowdart

OK no really what the h3ll people?

1) People in the US pay taxes. The idiotic comment as if no-one does in the US is pathetic. And people wonder why we laugh at the american attitude to other countries.

2) £75,000 p/a is in the top 10-15% of earners country wide, and pretty much in the middle bracket for grunt contract developers (although yes, living in London is expensive - but contractors tend to have more tax dodges than permanent staff).

3) Outsourcing is also killing the contract market.

So *sensible* advice.

1) The contract market is flooded. As the EU widens there's free movement of people, and so there's a lot of previously eastern european developers about. There's also a lot of influx from india as well. The contracting market prices are done simply because employers can pick and choose.

2) No-one is going to sponsor over a contractor, it's not worth the expense or effort.

You could try for a highly skilled worker visa; however with a flooded market even if you get it don't hold out on being employed. The contract market tends to want people who available that week, so you'd need to be here, burning your savings while you wait for a job.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Yep I agree blowdart, taking into consideration taxes and cost of living I think US and UK are pretty much similar.

I am currently contracting for around £300 a day in London, I'm at a fairly small company  and have had offers from banks etc ranging from £350 - £400, just for C#, ASP.Net Sql Server skills etc.

SharePoint is big at the moment as is BizTalk expereience, so developer to consultant in that area range from £400 - £650 per day respectivly with experienced consultants demanding the top wack.

I started on £170 a day just to get out of permanent and into contract and quickly moved up to £200, £250, £300 etc as I gained more experience.

And as blowdart says, I can't see this being sustained for much longer especially as C#, ASP.Net etc become commodity skills (if they arn't already) 

Also contracting can be complicated and risky here, and you really do need to have some kind of business knowledge or be prepared to learn very quickly about running a limited company. I do get away with paying as less tax as possible and there is definately a tax gain when getting a decent accountant to run your finances.  I mean everything you earn over £38k here gets taxed at 40% and just being able to get round that is a god send, for contracting last year bottom to middle market rates I earned around £70k.

What I'm looking to do to make some real money is make the leap from a one man limited company to a proper fully staffed consultancy, but that's never going to be easy!

IMO to make any decent money as a permie in the UK you need to work bloody hard and get many many years proven quality experience behind you otherwise you will be sitting at £30k maybe £40k a year even going down to £20-£25k a year for juniors (or people that can't bve bothered).

Anyway that's my experience of the UK job market.

• User profile image
    blowdart

leeappdalecom wrote:

What I'm looking to do to make some real money is make the leap from a one man limited company to a proper fully staffed consultancy, but that's never going to be easy!

Actually my employer is recruiting ....

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

blowdart wrote:

leeappdalecom wrote:

Actually my employer is recruiting ....

Is that an invitation to apply Tongue Out?

• User profile image
    blowdart

leeappdalecom wrote:

Is that an invitation to apply ?

Remember I do the tech interviews.

Seriously if you want to have an off the record chat contact me.

• User profile image
    eagle

Photograph:The invention of power looms at the time of the Industrial Revolution dramatically increased the productivity of the textile industry.

• User profile image
    Rossj

eagle wrote:
    Photograph:The invention of power looms at the time of the Industrial Revolution dramatically increased the productivity of the textile industry.

That's right, the industrial revolution started here too. How observant Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

....and the origins of global warming.

• User profile image
    Bas

Also, I hear that the English eat babies! Sad

Goya-Saturnus.png

• User profile image
    Tensor

I try to eat a baby a day. Ask yourself - who is the monster? Me? the baby eating monster? Or is it society that is the real monster for denying me babies? hmm?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Tensor wrote:

I try to eat a baby a day. Ask yourself - who is the monster? Me? the baby eating monster? Or is it society that is the real monster for denying me babies? hmm?

I think it's the babies for just being too damn delicious.

• User profile image
    armbrat

What about Ireland?  Any general thoughts on tech employment in either north or south?

I recently realised I have dual Canadian/British citizenship, and am trying to build up the cojones to leave to the UK or Ireland for work.  I have some family there, and am looking for a new challenge...

Thoughts on Ireland?

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Ireland is pretty simuilar to england except the wages and cost of living are a bit lower.

• User profile image
    Skriker V1.0

When you say England, do you mean the UK?

• User profile image
    Massif

Skriker V1.0 wrote:
    When you say England, do you mean the UK?

<needlessly_annoying_scottish_and_welsh_and_...>

Doesn't everyone? Tongue Out

</needlessly_annoying_scottish_and_welsh_and_...>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.