Coffeehouse Thread

72 posts

Silverlight on C9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Duncanma

In today's video, featuring Sampy from the dev team and Adam Kinney... some guy who used to work on the dev team... they talk about putting a Silverlight player on C9, C8, C10, etc.... Smiley

Well, we managed to get the player running on this site in dev, but the problem is we are running into intermittent media errors with some of our streaming media files when played in Silverlight.

If you hit any of our relatively new videos (in the video forum only, and going back a few months) with an additional query parameter of "Silverlight=true" then you will get to see the SL player. If you do this, can you let me know if you get any error about the media file... and if so, what entry or entries you get it on?

We've updated the Mike Nash video to use a different streaming media server than all the rest so you might want to try at least that video

http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=343787&Silverlight=true

and this one, that uses the 'normal' streaming media server

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=339887&Silverlight=true

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Both worked fine for me Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Both worked fine here, too.

• User profile image
    keeron

Works for me too

• User profile image
    Sampy

Works on the home page too!

http://channel9.msdn.com/?Silverlight=true

Video in Firefox, pretty sweet eh?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Sampy wrote:
    Works on the home page too!

http://channel9.msdn.com/?Silverlight=true

Video in Firefox, pretty sweet eh?

Ooh, snazzy Smiley

Me likes...  as I said in the video thread, the Silverlight player beats WMP any day.

Only thing I'd add is full-screen
    Oh, wait...  you get full-screen for free?  Sweet!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Both work fine for me.

EDIT: Although I could easily figure out double-clicking makes it go full screen, a full screen button probably wouldn't do any harm.

• User profile image
    Sampy

Sven Groot wrote:
    Both work fine for me.

EDIT: Although I could easily figure out double-clicking makes it go full screen, a full screen button probably wouldn't do any harm.

Oh yeah, we'll be putting that in. Erik just remarked one day that it was cool you could double-click and get full screen. I was quite surprised.

Consider it a bonus Smiley

• User profile image
    mabster

Can I pause one of these vids and let the whole thing stream down on a slow connection, like I can on Youtube?

There doesn't seem to be any visual indication of how much has already come down, even while paused.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Both work for me and they play fullscreen just fine, which is nice because double clicking on a Flash video doesn't do that.

• User profile image
    Cyonix

mabster wrote:
    Can I pause one of these vids and let the whole thing stream down on a slow connection, like I can on Youtube?

There doesn't seem to be any visual indication of how much has already come down, even while paused.
    Yeah that doesn't happen for me either...

Does this happen with all Silverlight players? if so that is a huge drawback, i hate sites that dont buffer while it's paused.

• User profile image
    Sampy

mabster wrote:

It's not downloading the video like Flash. It's hooked up to a Windows Media Streaming Server which supports seeking to any point in the video at any time. Try it: grab the thumb and drag all the way to the end and you'll buffer for a moment then start watching.

• User profile image
    mabster

Ok, thanks Sampy. I'll give it a go at home on my 512kb/s connection while I'm downloading something and see how it performs.

I love being able to pause a video and let it come down so I can watch the whole thing without any stuttering as it buffers. With any luck I won't need to if the streaming server concept works.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

mabster wrote:
    Ok, thanks Sampy. I'll give it a go at home on my 512kb/s connection while I'm downloading something and see how it performs.

It should work the same as watching it in Windows Media Player here on C9... both of them are using the same stream and behave the same way I believe. If we point Silverlight (or WMP) at a http:// link to a video then you'll see the buffering, but streaming is intended to remove the need for that. Of course, it does buffer some video... I believe it grabs 3+ seconds ahead...

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Nice job guys,  Flip the switch! Smiley

• User profile image
    Cyonix

Sampy wrote:
    It's not downloading the video like Flash. It's hooked up to a Windows Media Streaming Server which supports seeking to any point in the video at any time. Try it: grab the thumb and drag all the way to the end and you'll buffer for a moment then start watching.
    ah ok cool.

Although this is a little off topic, will the default silverlight player buffer while it paused if its not hooked up to WMS Server?

• User profile image
    Massif

Heh... I only have Silverlight 1.1 Alpha installed, and it doesn't recognise it. I get the "install silverlight you muppet" box, but when i try i get the "you've already got, like, a totally better version dullard." message.

Is this just a problem with the Alpha, or a problem with the silverlight detecting code?

• User profile image
    Rowan

It doesn't work for me in Firefox 2 or 3 on Vista, I just see the Get Silverlight button, yet the Silverlight test page does work in both versions of Firefox.

It works in IE7.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.