Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE8

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

    Good old Dave (sorry bout the old, just a figure of speech) hits the nail on the head ... why oh why did the IE team let him go? At least we had some feedback when Dave was involved.

    From his blog..

    DMassy wrote:

    I do agree though that the IE team needs to start talking to the developer community on a much more consistent basis. After the release of IE7 all online chats stopped. The online chats had been taking place every month since well before IE7 was under development. After the release of IE7 the bug reporting system was withdrawn. There have been vague promises that it was only temporary but it has now been almost a year and no replacement is in sight.

    The IE team does not have to give exact details of IE8 but their complete silence shows a complete lack of respect for the developer community.


    I'm not personally that interested in IE8 right now, I've been disappointed once (well more than once) and I am more than happy with my alternative choices - but do you have an opinion on how quiet the IE team has been? Any chance of Rory going over to investigate?

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    There's no excuse for this. I doubt a visit from Rory would crack them infront of the developer-community. I appreciate Dave's honesty, and it's people like him that earn the respect of the community; not the teams themselves.

    IE is just frustrating. Very few developers enjoy their jobs because of its unwillingness to comply with suggested standards. It's developer-base is small. It's not easy to develop addon's for (Just ask Sven with his find-as-you-type).

    This is just ridiculous. Microsoft has the biggest purse, and yet the weakest product sometimes. All they have to do to get me, and maybe  acouple of you too, interested again is to make the crap extendable with .NET code, and START LISTENING TO US!

    If you guys want us to use your ephing' product, open your damn eyes and ears a little!

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Foolish to believe Microsoft on that one.. they will only develop IE when its a benefit for them..

    Expect IE8 in a couple of years, with not nearly enough improvement..

    Saying that, Safari is a horrible browser, Apple needs to get off the bandwagon of 'pimping ones browser speed' and actually make a browser that works well.. I mean, god, I don't think its faster at all, but if it is, its because its only half of what other browsers are..

    Its the replacement for 'IE For Mac' for me, which has to be the spawn of satan.

  • User profile image
    DMassy

    It is sad. I don't know how else to say it.  I only hope the management of the IE tema will wake up and start to engage with customers. That doesn't mean going Open Source. It does mean having an ongoing conversation. A conersation that has ceased since IE7 was released nearly a year ago.
    -Dave
    www.dmassy.com

  • User profile image
    Minh

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    
    IE is just frustrating. Very few developers enjoy their jobs because of its unwillingness to comply with suggested standards. It's developer-base is small. It's not easy to develop addon's for (Just ask Sven with his find-as-you-type).
    If you think about it, making it easy to develop add-ons for IE is the worst thing you can do for the IE profit center (if there is such a thing). People will start calling MS tech support eating up profits.

    Maybe the IE team is like cicadas we get here in Ohio. Only coming up from underground once every 17 years, make lots of noise, then gone again.

    Don't worry guys, 17 years is only 16 years away.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Minh wrote:
    
    jsampsonPC wrote:
    
    IE is just frustrating. Very few developers enjoy their jobs because of its unwillingness to comply with suggested standards. It's developer-base is small. It's not easy to develop addon's for (Just ask Sven with his find-as-you-type).
    If you think about it, making it easy to develop add-ons for IE is the worst thing you can do for the IE profit center (if there is such a thing). People will start calling MS tech support eating up profits.

    Maybe the IE team is like cicadas we get here in Ohio. Only coming up from underground once every 17 years, make lots of noise, then gone again.

    Don't worry guys, 17 years is only 16 years away.



    Well, I'll put it this way - if the IE team doesn't start this "conversation" that we all desire, and IE8 is nothing what the community desires, then I'm going to give up on working with IE. Seriously. I'm going to become the biggest FireFox fanboy you guys have ever seen if this happens Smiley

  • User profile image
    Minh

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    
    Seriously. I'm going to become the biggest FireFox fanboy you guys have ever seen if this happens
    No you wont Smiley
    But maybe the worse thing that can happen will happen. IE loses its 80% marketshare. Maybe a split 50/50 for IE/FireFox.

    Now EVERYONE will have to develop for 2 browsers Sad Or we'll just use Silverlight 1.1.... wait a minute... MS, it's just crazy enough to work Smiley

  • User profile image
    Bas

    I'm noticing that a lot of MS teams are using their 'blogs' as vehicles to post press releases. There's no conversation whatsoever. If there are comments between the pingbacks, they'll mostly be ignored.

    The WHS team was, and still is, pretty excellent. They engage in conversation on forums and their blog. The IE team blog is dismal, and the Live ID blog is a joke. Over 6 months between updates, and no replies to questions in comments.

  • User profile image
    Rossj

    Bas wrote:
    The WHS team was, and still is, pretty excellent. They engage in conversation on forums and their blog. The IE team blog is dismal, and the Live ID blog is a joke.


    I guess this just goes to show how diverse Microsoft is in its approach to communication - personally I'd prefer a more unified approach but that is just me, and probably not possible.

  • User profile image
    DMassy

    Bas wrote:
    

    I'm noticing that a lot of MS teams are using their 'blogs' as vehicles to post press releases. There's no conversation whatsoever. If there are comments between the pingbacks, they'll mostly be ignored.

    The WHS team was, and still is, pretty excellent. They engage in conversation on forums and their blog. The IE team blog is dismal, and the Live ID blog is a joke. Over 6 months between updates, and no replies to questions in comments.



    The problem with team blogs is that they are the official word of the team. Therefore they are very careful about what they post. I agree though that some teams blogs are a complete joke. At least Eric Lawrence the creator of Fiddler and a Program Manager on the IE team does respond frequently to comments on the IE team blog even though it isn't his job.
    It'd be great if there were more individual blogs from the IE team such as Chris Wilson's. Oh wait, that's really a joke too! A work based blog with an occasional entry about cats. I think people expect something a little more on topic from the IE platform architect. It appears that the IE leadership does not understand that value of clear communication and even worse the damage done when they start such communication and then stop.

    -Dave
    www.Dmassy.com

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Screw the developer this and developer that. Microsoft promised us, right to our face, that they wouldn't let another IE6 blunder happen again. Having regular updates and new versions coming every so often.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    DMassy wrote:
    ...It appears that the IE leadership does not understand that value of clear communication and even worse the damage done when they start such communication and then stop...


    Reminds me of a marriage...it's like, you're getting all worked up and then BAM! She says, "I'm just not in the mood right now...".

    #balls {

       color: #0000FF;

    }

  • User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

    I am a webcentric dev. So, browsers can be my blessing or curse.

    I have hated abandoning IE as my browser of choice. Long before IE6 became long on the tooth, I was just simply floored by IE6. The things we were doing at first made me want to get an "E" tattoo, I swear! (but I am not cool enough to sport a MS tattoo. I'll leave that to Petzold).

    Then as things evolved and changed, like so many others I shifted to FireFox as my target development browser. I couldn't wait for IE7. I too read all of the postings and saw community feedback and thought "This time MS is going to 'get it'!. This thing is going to rule!"

    The heart break after IE7 was first installed on my machine was, I hate to admit, kind of actually real. I literally put a lot of hope into IE7 being the sh!t.

    It didn't happen as we know. I am still designing for other browsers and checking IE secodnary and hacking for it.

    So, when I read hear about IE8 my intial reaction is, "who cares?" I am not going to participate in any forums, offer feedback, or rush to use beta versions again. MS needs to earn me back as a developer to their browser platform.


  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Unless its a legally bound contract I don't think you could hold them to it..

    The thing with Microsoft is, its an umbrella for a bunch of teams.. some teams are great.. I mean, god, Microsoft can make some seriously amazing software.. other teams are not so, sadly, they still come under the name of 'Microsoft'..

    I'm sure its a ton easier to say this than it is to execute, but Microsoft really need to manage their appearance better by ensuring their teams are being the best they can..

    Any direct contact I've heard from IE developers regarding why its so hard to get it right, I'm told the same thing over and over - 'hardly anything is precisely specified on the web'.. but thats it.. theres the excuse, this is why its not working.. but theres never anything to prove their looking to make it better..

    Frequent updates to IE, starting a rich community between standards and other developers both developing their own internet explorer alternatives (such as firefox) or developing for the web..

    Odd as it is, Microsoft are in an important lead position with the web.. and they need to be the people that get the ball rolling, for a greater thing than money making and competition.. which is so ensure the web progresses faster and helps humanity itself evolve (think of how big a thing the web and email is to modern society)..

    This can't be something to be done alone, but Microsoft sure are the people with enough position and power to start a union..

  • User profile image
    elmer

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    Well, I'll put it this way - if the IE team doesn't start this "conversation" that we all desire, and IE8 is nothing what the community desires, then I'm going to give up on working with IE. Seriously. I'm going to become the biggest FireFox fanboy you guys have ever seen if this happens


    I'm already there. I would consider myself to be essentially an MS-centric developer, but like all other MS-centric devs I know, I can recognise a good product when I see one, and I now use FireFox as my primary web-dev target.

    FireFox is now my "correct" version, and IE is now a "compromised" version -- while Safari is a "retarded" version and Opera is an "eccentric" version Tongue Out

    It shouldn't take a genius to work out what the developer community wants... there is a template for MS to copy... FireFox.

    How hard can it be for MS to figure this out out..?  Interact with the dev community and get the plumbing sorted first, to make the thing competitive with FireFox and to get the support of web-devs... and *THEN* differentiate it with service and gui features for the end-users.

    I tend to view MS's approach to IE as being akin to reorganising the deck-chairs on the Titanic.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Minh wrote:
    Now EVERYONE will have to develop for 2 browsers


    I'd just like to remind everyone that you're meant to develop to the formal specification, not to any particular implementation.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Minh wrote:
    Now EVERYONE will have to develop for 2 browsers


    I'd just like to remind everyone that you're meant to develop to the formal specification, not to any particular implementation.
    IE has formal specs Wink

  • User profile image
    figuerres

    DMassy wrote:
    It is sad. I don't know how else to say it.  I only hope the management of the IE tema will wake up and start to engage with customers. That doesn't mean going Open Source. It does mean having an ongoing conversation. A conersation that has ceased since IE7 was released nearly a year ago.
    -Dave
    www.dmassy.com


    WOW !

    well I have to say that I see some common signs of what I think are the same illness all over MSFT.

    in general:

    too many different directions.

    too many different projects.

    too many captains.

    no real clear "General" , no single clear "long term plan"

    plenty of good ideas, good projects ....

    but like a large band / orchestra with out a conductor you tend to get noise not music.

    I hope I am wrong and that MSFT gets it together ...


    look at some of the posts here about the C9 Team and C9 V 4

    other projects, trying to make some super software for 4-5 sites.
    two ways to fix that:

    a)  focus on one site and get it done.
    b) expand the team.

    I would pick "A"  but that's me.



Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.