Coffeehouse Thread

86 posts

Come Work on Our Team

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jeffsand

(Cross Posted from my blog.)

There's only one team for me at Microsoft and that of course is Developer & Platform Evangelism.  It is called DPE inside Microsoft.  Within DPE lives my group that creates both technology and the content that drives Channels 8, 9 and 10.  

As a team we're on a mission to change how Microsoft does Evangelism and that is through the combination of social media and online community.  We have a bunch of openings on our team.  First there is an opening for a Channel 9 Evangelist that will report directly to me. 

Technical Evangelist, Channel 9
    Official HR Recruiting Link Coming Soon!

Come join the team that has changed the way Microsoft communicates with Developers.  The Developer and Platform Evangelism Team is hiring a technical Evangelist to join the Channel 9 team. Channel 9 (http://channel9.msdn.com) was created three years ago as an experimental way to build a two way interaction between developers and Microsoft using video as its primary communication tool. Since then Channel 9 has grown in both traffic and content, it is viewed by millions of visitors per month and is one of the top video blogs on the planet. As a result of this growth we are looking for another unique individual who has the passion, the knowledge, and the skills to help us tell the Microsoft story online.

We are looking for a rare bird for a new kind of evangelism role at Microsoft. The ideal candidate will be well versed in the current wave of Microsoft developer technologies, industry trends, and competition. Experience in software development is required along with the ability to film and editing your own videos.  You would be a member of a small team responsible for the care and feeding of this unique community.

A passion for software development along with a desire to tell the world the Microsoft story is critical. 
    Strong written communication skills will be important traits of a successful candidate.  Roles and responsibilities change quickly so flexibility and fast decision making abilities are a must.

Next up, our development team has an opening, reporting to Duncan Mackenzie

Software Design Engineer

The Developer and Platform Evangelism Team is hiring a software design engineer to join the team that builds and extends Channel 9, Channel 10 and more. Our sites build a two way interaction between our customers and Microsoft using video as the primary communication tool. In the past several years we have built several additional sites and our network has grown in both traffic and content, and as a result we are looking for an additional Software Design Engineer to join the team. We are looking for someone who lives and breathes HTML, CSS, Javascript, AJAX and ASP.NET. The ideal candidate will have skills in all those technologies combined with a passion for design and user experience.
    Do you like to ship, takes chances and effect change? Do you want to build cool sites that use Silverlight and Atlas to deliver a great user experience? Then come join our group where you'll find a small dynamic team of folks and you'll swear you are part of startup.
    Experience in HTML/CSS, ASP.NET and C# is required and experience with AJAX, SQL, Scrum and Test-Driven Development is highly desired. Experience with Silverlight and/or WPF is not required but it would be great to have.

Finally, Larry Larsen who leads the Channel 10 Team has an opening too. 

Channel 10 - Technical Evangelist

Channel 10 is looking for a technology leader to be our newest on-air host. You should be an enterprising, professional host who is comfortable on camera and passionate about technology. You should be the type of person who consumes a tremendous amount of tech news. You should know the difference between 3G and 2.5G, Xbox 360 games and Live Arcade, UMPCs and MicroPCs.

You'll need to be able to keep a secret, because you'll see things you can't talk about. You'll need a passport because we might need to drop you just about anywhere. This is the job of a lifetime, to become part of the public face of Microsoft, speaking to millions of technology enthusiasts Worldwide, and shining a light on people who build Microsoft products and services and the people who use those in innovative ways.

You'll need to know how to edit video like a pro and be ready to hit the ground running. You need to be able to develop stories and work autonomously and efficiently.

An online video reel must be submitted with resume for consideration. If you’re unable to get a video online, this isn’t the right fit for you.

Long story, short:

If you want to join a team that loves to ship software, create cool/interesting content and talks to customers every day of the week, my team is the place to do that at Microsoft. To apply please visit the recruiting site (linked to in the titles above) and submit your resume.  Please also send me a note (JeffSand at Microsoft dot com) letting me know you've done so.

We've got an amazing year ahead of us, with lots of fun surprises in store.  If you are interested in being a part of that and think you've got the right stuff then apply today.

Thanks!
    -Jeff

• GoddersUK

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    Whoever the hell gets the job, may your first job to lock this thread IMMEDIATELY

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=9&PostID=184297#184297

It should be stickied as a permanent memorial to err....

ummm....

something!!

Last time I checked that thread had more page views than "What do you want to know about Vista?"

• Ian

OMG Had to edit that post, I'm such a nerd geek.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Interested in a summer intern?

I'm still a couple years away from needing a full-time job...  Sad

• Lloyd_Humph

I'd apply, but I think my only use is to tell jokes, sit in the corner, throw paper at people (for it is teh funnay when people go craazy) or design websites. Which I doubt would be of any use.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • jeffsand

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Interested in a summer intern?

I'm still a couple years away from needing a full-time job... 

Sorry, no intern positions yet! Smiley  Hopefully some day we'll get one though. I think it would be awesome if we had an intern role on our team.

• blowdart

Pah I'd love it, but I'd never get the visa.

• W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    Pah I'd love it, but I'd never get the visa.

Not technical enough for the H-1B? Wink

• bitdisaster

I would book a flight tomorrow, but ASP.NET is not my passion I like more business logic and algorithm. Sad  And of course a H1-B visa would be necessary for me to.

section31 Embarassed

• Sven Groot

jeffsand wrote:
    You should know the difference between 3G and 2.5G

That's easy! 3G is 29.4m/s2 while 2.5G is only 24.5m/s2.

• blowdart

Sven Groot wrote:

jeffsand wrote:

Or $5 per MB

• Massif

Sven Groot wrote:

jeffsand wrote:

Dude! wrong G.

g (not the lower case) ~ 9.80665  m·s−2 (depending where in the world you are.)

G (upper case) = 6.693 x 10–11 m3 / (kg s2)

• rjdohnert

Lets hold a contest.  People submit a video giving the reason they would want to work on Channel 9 and what Channel 9 means to them and what they would do to help improve channel 9.  Jeff and team view the videos and choose the best ones and conduct video interviews of the ones they pick.  Then we (the C9 community) grade these videos on who we think the next top C9'er will be and Jeff and team make their decision.  It cuts down on applications and HR hunting.  To qualify applicants must have been a Channel 9 member and participator for at least a year.  Make it like a web reality show.

• blowdart

rjdohnert wrote:

Make it like a web reality show.

Could we dumb it down far enough? Big Smile

• DarthVista

• figuerres

rjdohnert wrote:

Lets hold a contest.  People submit a video giving the reason they would want to work on Channel 9 and what Channel 9 means to them and what they would do to help improve channel 9.  Jeff and team view the videos and choose the best ones and conduct video interviews of the ones they pick.  Then we (the C9 community) grade these videos on who we think the next top C9'er will be and Jeff and team make their decision.  It cuts down on applications and HR hunting.  To qualify applicants must have been a Channel 9 member and participator for at least a year.  Make it like a web reality show.

in a perfect world that would be fun...

but I bet that Legal and HR would have a huge fit over that idea...

Sad

• littleguru

Does huge hair qualify too? Wink </joke>

• Zeus

littleguru wrote:
    Does huge hair qualify too? </joke>
    <nojoke>Better be huge than thinning ...</nojoke>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.