Coffeehouse Thread

86 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Come Work on Our Team

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I hate it when people constantly post messages in a bold font. Bold is meant to emphasize some words, not to write your entire post (and ALL your posts) in.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

blehbleh wrote:

evildictaitor wrote:

blehbleh wrote:
    I HATE sticky threads!

Personally I find it hard to get that emotionally worked up over something so trivial.

It's very simple. Something trivial to someone, might be huge for someone else. It's not a huge deal for me thought but I still HATE sticky threads!

hehe, I like them, I remember when they've removed two of them and first page felt sooo empty. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

hehe, I like them, I remember when they've removed two of them and first page felt sooo empty.

++ and if there are no stickies then it feels like the second or third page.

• User profile image
    jeffsand

Quick update, two out of three positions are filled. 

Long time Niner (User ID 41) and Microsoft Employee, Dan Fernandez has filled the Channel 9 position.

Max Zuckerman, has joined the forces behind Channel 8.

We now have one final position open, which is the development role reporting to Duncan. Feel free to drop me a note via the site (nice little contact link to the left on my avatar) if you are interested in applying.

Thanks

• User profile image
    haegens

I'm interested in joining.. I'll do a little more research on the microsoft / Ch.9 collaboration. You can read more about me here:
    La Casa De Puros

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

haegens wrote:
    I'm interested in joining.. I'll do a little more research on the microsoft / Ch.9 collaboration. You can read more about me here:
    La Casa De Puros

They're getting cleverer Sad

SPAAAAAAAAM

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    JChung2006

Hmm, aren't Cuban cigars illegal in the US?

• User profile image
    Dodo

JChung2006 wrote:
    Eh, really? Because it's Cuba? :O

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JChung2006 wrote:

Apparently not.

"Land of the Free" indeed.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:

JChung2006 wrote:

Apparently not.

"Land of the Free" indeed.

Bah. Double negatives. "Apparently not" legal, rather than "Apparently not" illegal. i.e. Cuban cigars are illegal.

Also, last time I went to the States I got questioned for a full hour on what kind of evil terrorism I was planning after my recent visit to the Sudan. I was not amused to say the least. *grumble stupid america grumble grumble*.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

evildictaitor wrote:
    Bah. Double negatives. "Apparently not" legal, rather than "Apparently not" illegal. i.e. Cuban cigars are illegal.

Sorry, I speed-read JChung's post as "aren't Cuban cigars legal in the US?"

In other news, I've noticed something. Whenever the United States have good PR, they're known as the "USA", when they've got bad PR they're always refered to as the "US".

• User profile image
    JChung2006

evildictaitor wrote:
    Bah. Double negatives.

"Are Cuban cigars legal?" and "aren't Cuban cigars illegal?" have slightly different semantics, similar to how "if (obj) { }" and "if (!!obj) { }" mean something different in JavaScript.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

JChung2006 wrote:

evildictaitor wrote:
    Bah. Double negatives.

"Are Cuban cigars legal?" and "aren't Cuban cigars illegal?" have slightly different semantics, similar to how "if (obj) { }" and "if (!!obj) { }" mean something different in JavaScript.

Are you sure? The law in the States sets out things which are explicitly illegal, rather than things which are legal in the States - the only exception being the constitution, which sets out constitution rights, rather than "things which are legal".

Consequently, something is legal if (and only if) it is not illegal, and something is illegal if (and only if) it is expressly forbidden by some law, or US-signed treaty or if it invades someone else's constitutional rights.

Unless, of course, you're merely refering to the gramatical structure, in which case you're right. "Arn't cuban cigars illegal?" implies an assertion that cuban cigars are illegal, and seeks for confirmation of the fact. "Are cuban cigars legal?" implies a direct question, asserting no statement at all.

• User profile image
    wisemx

Concerning U.S. Citizens:
    Cuban Cigars Are Illegal at Home and Abroad

Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, (Revised September 30, 2004) are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by OFAC.

This originated in February of 1962, and is, sadly, still in effect.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.