Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

C# or VB.NET

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I want to become more proficient at one of these two languages. But which one is more widely used in the industry?

• jsampsonPC

By my experience, C#. Not to mention, it seems as though you get paid more for it too Tongue Out It looks and feels like a real programming language to the suits.

• dahat

I too am a C# fan and have personally seen it used more... but sadly most of the people I end up teaching .NET (I do a little MCT training here and there) end up wanting to learn (in) VB.NET.

• Zeus

C#++

• jsampsonPC

Zeus wrote:
    C#++

That would be an interesting language Tongue Out

(Yes, I know you were just agreeing in geek-lingo Tongue Out)

• dahat

I should mention that it would not be a bad thing to be proficient at both. While under the hood they both do the same thing, VB .NET is getting    some pretty nifty features (like xml literals) that us C# folks are going to pray for in C# 4.0... in the mean time we’ll just have to write our XML handling code in VB.NET.

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Thanks for the replies. I've already started in on a C# book, but I was curious if I was on the right track or not.

P.S. Why are all the job boards I look at full of contract jobs (Dice, etc.)? Where's the permanent work doing this?

• Tensor

Both are good languages with unique features. If widely used is an important reason for learning one then C# seems more popular.

• Zeus

jsampsonPC wrote:

Zeus wrote:
    C#++

That would be an interesting language

(Yes, I know you were just agreeing in geek-lingo )
    hehe ... it would actually Big Smile

• pathfinder

Java

• JChung2006

C#.  It's popular for a lot of really stupid reasons, but nonetheless it's popular.

• phreaks

What about TickleSharp ?

I'm kidding, hahaha.

Depends, I think.

I've seen just about as many VB positions as C#.

I think industry may have something to do with language as well.

For instance, most of the financial shops I've been to use C#, while most of the Insurance shops seem to use VB.NET.

• nightski

Learn both.  Learning the language isn't the time consuming part anymore, its the framework.

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

nightski wrote:
    Learn both.  Learning the language isn't the time consuming part anymore, its the framework.
    And how long should I expect that to take? Assuming I can only work on this "after hours". I already know a decent amount of C++.

Java: blech.

• Royal​Schrubber

pathfinder wrote:
    Java

Lisp

• blowdart

RoyalSchrubber wrote:

pathfinder wrote:
    Java

Lisp

COBOL.Net

• fdisk

Windows Assembly Language and Systems Programming by Kauler

One commenter even wrote:

Amazon comments wrote:
    Kauler is different. He believes you should write your Windows GUI programs straight in assembler - dialogs, menus, windows and all.
    Real coders code EVERYTHING in assembly.

• raymond

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

nightski wrote:
    And how long should I expect that to take? Assuming I can only work on this "after hours". I already know a decent amount of C++.

Java: blech.

I agree with learning them both and the framework will take more time.

Start with C# then move on to VB. A year or more at least.

Use the Murach books.

http://www.murach.com/books/index.htm

Cool

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.