Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MSDN Forums revisited!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

We are still where we were half a year ago! The editor is new, but the problems are all still there. What's up team: how complicated can it be to get a forum going... really.

Unknown Error
      We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums.

This error has been logged.

After like 20 of these it really get's nasty! If somebody from the MSDN Forums team is reading this: guys, please make posting finally always work! I can't even reply to this thread without getting always an error.

My nervs...

• User profile image
    JKelley

littleguru wrote:
    We are still where we were half a year ago! The editor is new, but the problems are all still there. What's up team: how complicated can it be to get a forum going... really.

Unknown Error
      We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums.

This error has been logged.

After like 20 of these it really get's nasty! If somebody from the MSDN Forums team is reading this: guys, please make posting finally always work! I can't even reply to this thread without getting always an error.

My nervs...

The forums are having some issues this morning.  All of our forums sites are having the same issue, not just MSDN and it's being looked at by the ops team.

Like a lot of things, sometimes its not just the technical difficulty that affects how well or poorly a service like forums runs.  There's a slow shift to actually get the forums platform run like a service, as opposed to just a piece of software.  As that shift moves forward you should start to see more improvements both on the software side, and on how issues get responded to.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Thanks for the information! Smiley It's still not working, but I guess you are getting to the point that we can post again Wink

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

JKelley wrote:
    The forums are having some issues this morning.  All of our forums sites are having the same issue, not just MSDN and it's being looked at by the ops team.

I don't know what's going on this morning, but I haven't been able to access MSDN Forums in weeks. It just times out after a minute. Or gives ASP.NET exceptions (YSOD). Under Firefox is won't even start, saying it has an invalid redirect.

In short, totally unusable.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's really terrible. I had problems today too. Again the same problem... I don't know why this stuff can't just work - it's just forums. There must be huge bugs, problems around the server architecture or whatever - it's so strange and frustrating!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Yggdrasil wrote:

JKelley wrote:

I don't know what's going on this morning, but I haven't been able to access MSDN Forums in weeks. It just times out after a minute. Or gives ASP.NET exceptions (YSOD). Under Firefox is won't even start, saying it has an invalid redirect.

Same here, except it's more like months.

• User profile image
    KubuS

I visit MSDN Forums every day. Almost every day I hit a topic which won't open in FF (unknown error), but renders fine in IE, and sometimes it doesn't even open in IE.

It's been happening for quite some time now (few months) :/

• User profile image
    blowdart

Sven Groot wrote:

Yggdrasil wrote:

JKelley wrote:

Same here, except it's more like months.

At that stage I find deleting all microsoft.com and passport/live cookies generally gets me back in.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's interesting to know that the issues aren't still fixed... this would be something to report to Soma, since he seem to put a lot of effort in it!

• User profile image
    vesuvius

JKelley wrote:
     There's a slow shift to actually get the forums platform run like a service, as opposed to just a piece of software.

Is there anything that can be done to hasten the shift to SOA? MSDN is the number 1 repository for technical assist!

• User profile image
    Isshou

Let's not forget to mention the replication errors... They are still happening from time to time. That's what usually gets me, never had any login troubles...

I remember back when it started to look like a Monday ritual, MSDN forums replication error.

It does appear to behave better during a replication error now, but still. There is a lot of answers there, so it would be sad to lose any of that resource.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.