Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Intellisense vs. The Whiteboard

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Question: Does the regular usage of Intellisense affect candidates in whiteboard-based interviews? I know it makes developers more productive on the job, but does it have a negative effect on the application process?

• User profile image
    littleguru

It affected me a lot when doing some internship interviews last year... I'm so used to it and when I don't know exactly the name of something I just start to type and select it from the Intellisense popup.

Before doing a next interview I'll look more precisely at the classes that might get asked! You know the problem was that I didn't always remember all the methods and properties. I often only browse through the shown methods to see if one would fit my needs. Now I couldn't do that when I only had the whiteboard and nothing else.

I mean in the end I got it working but I with Intellisense I would have been a lot faster and would have had a lot less thinking going on Tongue Out

• User profile image
    borosen

littleguru wrote:
    It affected me a lot when doing the internship interviews for Microsoft last year... I'm so used to it and when I don't know exactly the name of something I just start to type it and can select it from there.

Before doing a next interview I'll look more precisely at the classes that might get asked! You know the problem was that I didn't always remember all the methods and properties. I often only browse through the shown methods to see if one would fit my needs. Now I couldn't do that when I only had the whiteboard and nothing else.

Does this not show that the whiteboard interview part should focus on abstraction and design? With these excellent development tools we have today, the exact knowledge of a library and their objects, methods, properties and what not, is not that important.
    Of course, knowing the library / framework is a good thing, but maybe not necessary to know by heart.
    Anyway, the libraries are getting really large (or have been for a while), so it is more important to know the tool and the documentation.

And for those proposing notepad as a development tool, I would say you are left behind by the software development evolution. Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

borosen wrote:
    Does this not show that the whiteboard interview part should focus on abstraction and design? With these excellent development tools we have today, the exact knowledge of a library and their objects, methods, properties and what not, is not that important.
    Of course, knowing the library / framework is a good thing, but maybe not necessary to know by heart.
    Anyway, the libraries are getting really large (or have been for a while), so it is more important to know the tool and the documentation.

Yes - my idea too. And probably just ask some pseudo code that doesn't need to compile but shows that you got the idea and knew how to convert it into a piece of software if required...

• User profile image
    blowdart

I hold the red marker pen, and then start squiqely underlining my candidates code.

Heh.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

blowdart wrote:
    I hold the red marker pen, and then start squiqely underlining my candidates code.

Heh.

hahaha

My officemate is wondering why I'm laughing Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:

Heh.

Red is for syntax errors... if you're doing that then your candidates must be pretty incompetant.

Then again, it is a pretty technical thing to do Wink

Blue's for type errors, Green for warnings

What other warnings could they introduce?

• User profile image
    blowdart

ScanIAm wrote:

blowdart wrote:

Heh.

hahaha

My officemate is wondering why I'm laughing

I had it done to me at MS once. It amused me at the time as well Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.