Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

New Browser from Unlikely Source

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

My Little PonyBrowser:  http://www.missamericakids.com/

Not really my cup of tea, but having an animated beauty pagent avatar join you while you browse might be interesting.

Of course it would be even more interesting if, once you make it past the pr0n filters, she'd huddle in the corner in a fetal position, muttering "make it stop" over and over and over again.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The amusing thing on the second page.... (listen to the flash thing)

She mentions when she was 13, she and her friends entered a chatroom and got into a convo with an "online predator" and then received bad shít in the mail a few days later, then they spoke to their parents.

Uhm.... why the FARK did she give out her HOME ADDRESS to someone in a chatroom?

I knew better when I was 9....

Then they go on about some statistical crap about how going into a chatroom gives you a "one-hundred percent chance" of coming into contact with an "online sexual predator".

Where are they pulling these figures out of?

Anyway, I'm downloading this browser as we speak (gonna boot it up in a VPC instance, there has to be some kind of ulterior motive behind this)

EDIT:

Heh, from the "Welcome" email:

Miss America wrote:
    Other cool features include:

o Lauren Nelson can be programmed to speak random words of encouragement to children by their parents
    o Lauren Nelson can be programmed to speak Chore Reminders to children by their parents
    o Lauren Nelson will read a child's email out loud from parent approved email buddies

These are the makers of the browser, complete with cheesy "Now remember kids, this is what a paedophile looks like" video.

• User profile image
    mcampbell

"As Seen on Bill O'Reilly &
    Fox & Friends"

:O

• User profile image
    W3bbo

The voice for the MSAgent "Miss America" agent is clearly fake (and of REALLY terrible sound quality).

Anyway, I've found the ulterior motive: when you try close the browser a pop-up comes up, telling you about "Subscription status" then a little note begging for "Financial support", short of any emotional blackmail, it's pretty shallow.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Miss America Browser wrote:
    We respect your privacy!
    We promise to NEVER sell, barter,
    or rent your contact information to ANYONE! 

From the download page.

Well, that's rather polite of them! Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

There are some real creeps out there, so it's obvious that you want to keep an eye on what your child does online.  But, there also seems to be a whole industry sprouting up around the bogeyman of "ZOMG, the intarwebs will despoil your special little snowflake!".

We've got news shows here that border on entrapment that essentially troll chatrooms for these guys just so they can entice them to show up for a real life meeting.  Once there, the guy is arrested, but not before he's questioned on camera for the public's amusment.  Obviously, these guys are sick, but do we really need 'journalists' posing as 13-year olds agreeing to meet strangers for salacious activity?

And, frankly, I thought everyone knew that all the 'women' in chat rooms were men Smiley

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I feel slightly saddened parents and children are taught that the internet is a completely unsafe arena in which your only chance of survival is to never give out your name or any details about yourself and to never talk to strangers.

For kids who don't know better, this is perfectly fine. But, let the teens at least decide for themselves who they can and cannot talk to.

It's a wonderful learning experience that develops skills useful in the real world too.

• User profile image
    fignewtron

So, after downloading it you will see that you can't add any trusted sites to the list unless you subscribe.  Monthly or yearly.  yeeeaaaa...uninstall.

Cool

• User profile image
    W3bbo

ScanIAm wrote:
    We've got news shows here that border on entrapment that essentially troll chatrooms for these guys just so they can entice them to show up for a real life meeting.  Once there, the guy is arrested, but not before he's questioned on camera for the public's amusment.  Obviously, these guys are sick, but do we really need 'journalists' posing as 13-year olds agreeing to meet strangers for salacious activity?

I sooo feel like going along with one of those things, pretending I'm some 13 y/o wanting a girlfriend on IRC, then actually bribing a real 13 yearold to the sting site.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mVPstar wrote:

I feel slightly saddened parents and children are taught that the internet is a completely unsafe arena in which your only chance of survival is to never give out your name or any details about yourself and to never talk to strangers.

For kids who don't know better, this is perfectly fine. But, let the teens at least decide for themselves who they can and cannot talk to.

It's a wonderful learning experience that develops skills useful in the real world too.

It's simple to us, but it takes years of experience on the Internet to know what's what. I don't blame parents for not knowing.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

mcampbell wrote:
    Fox & Friends"

There's a ringing endorsement.  "As seen on two of the most retarded programs in US televison history!"

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Nitz Walsh wrote:

mcampbell wrote:
    Fox & Friends"

There's a ringing endorsement.  "As seen on two of the most retarded programs in US televison history!"

They're not retarded, they're schemingly contrived exercises in right-wing media. To the untrained eye they look retarded, but I'd bet they've got a team of psycologists writing Bill O'Reilly's lines.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Interesting: The most recent South Park made fun of Chris Hansen, the 'to catch a predator' guy.  They also made fun of the fact that his method of putting people on TV led to the suicide of a district attorney in florida. 

One of the things that is never shown on the show is how the conversations begin.  He usually reads a few titilating and salcious comments from the chatroom conversations, but who is approaching who in these situations?

• User profile image
    kettch

W3bbo wrote:

Nitz Walsh wrote:

mcampbell wrote:
    Fox & Friends"

They're not retarded, they're schemingly contrived exercises in right-wing media. To the untrained eye they look retarded, but I'd bet they've got a team of psycologists writing Bill O'Reilly's lines.

Remember that the primary goal of any TV show is to get you to watch the commercials. The message that they present is just a way to draw certain demographics to that particular channel/time slot.

Regardless of the political bent of the programming, they will say anything in order to get people to watch whether their viewers agree with the message or not. This is true of all television programming, Right or Left.

• User profile image
    Bas

kettch wrote:

Remember that the primary goal of any TV show is to get you to watch the commercials. The message that they present is just a way to draw certain demographics to that particular channel/time slot.

Not shows on the BBC. Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.