Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

so..uh... Nikon wins.. hands down.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Just boring shots like last years in TO harbour... but the Nikon got enough good shots. I had - un -good hopes.  Figured it would be too hard.  DONT BUY A CANON Smiley

minh * check out that nite shot - and some of these are using the 300mm zoomed in - but youd never know it

• User profile image
    jamie

* i am used to buying things recently that always seem to let me down. I figured this would be the case with this camera. not so.

*ps and you guys know ive posted lots of shots here... none as good as these...  even though they are basic shots

its nikon... soilent green is nikon!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

D40 in the dark FTW!

Night

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Indeed D40 FTW.

• User profile image
    jamie

..the sad part is nikon's cost alot..  thats why i went with Canon for so long.  but if you live in canada and can drive to a best buy in the states... errr...

i still say - bite the bullet. get the nikon. even the one with no lens.

do it!  Smiley

• User profile image
    Red5

jamie wrote:
    ..the sad part is nikon's cost alot..  thats why i went with Canon for so long.  but if you live in canada and can drive to a best buy in the states... errr...

i still say - bite the bullet. get the nikon. even the one with no lens.

do it! 

I've been a happy Nikon customer for 10+ years.

My first digital: 990 Coolpix; full auto and manual, with telefoto 2x and Fisheye lenses, remote, and external flash holder. I get VERY good pictures with bounce-flash using external Nikon flash. Downside: 3.34 megapixels only Sad

current snapshot digital: Nikon S5; typical point-n-shoot where the built-in flash gives you mediocre pictures. In good sunlight though I get Great pictures.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 4th heir to my throne:
    Rose.
    Born just this week. Pictures taken with an 8-year old Coolpix 990, no flash. Taken in 35mm size-ratio mode and resized so they don't take up your whole screen here.

She gets my hariline....for now.

My next Nikon will be one of their SLR's.  Another year maybe....
    All my relatives rave about the Canon Eos Rebel SLR Digital though..

• User profile image
    Minh

any pentax user? I'm really seriously looking at that one

• User profile image
    Pace

I have the Nikon D2XS Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sabot

I really do love my D80 ...

Have a look and see the results if you are interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveoliver

• User profile image
    Zeus

Sabot wrote:

I really do love my D80 ...

Have a look and see the results if you are interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveoliver

Hey ... I see you went to Rome ... so did I Smiley

I think camera preferences are really personal. I have always used Canon cameras, and have never been dissapointed with the performance.

My first camera was a (now 30 years old) canon film camera, and now I use a Canon 300D (4 years old).

The low light performance of the new Nikons is second to none ... unbelivable how they can produce low-noise pictures at such high ISO. Stunning.

Still love my Canons though Smiley

• User profile image
    Stebet

Zeus wrote:
    Hey ... I see you went to Rome ... so did I

I think camera preferences are really personal. I have always used Canon cameras, and have never been dissapointed with the performance.

My first camera was a (now 30 years old) canon film camera, and now I use a Canon 300D (4 years old).

The low light performance of the new Nikons is second to none ... unbelivable how they can produce low-noise pictures at such high ISO. Stunning.

Still love my Canons though

Sorry for the slight off-topic... but...

You're Icelandic?! So am i Smiley

Ætli við séum fleiri hérna? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie wrote:

minh * check out that nite shot - and some of these are using the 300mm zoomed in - but youd never know it 

Nice... Never had the funds to get a lense for my Canon that can do image stabilization, I even have trouble w/ my stock 55mm lense.

Jamie, do you know if that's built-in the Nikon? or if that's inside the lense?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

jamie wrote:
    its in the lens

i asked the guy at henrys if there was a used one and he laughed

ps - re that night shot..i didnt set it to night..just auto - it went in a regular click (not the long one where you need to hold camera totally still)

It's a 1/60s exposure at ISO 1600.  With a tripod (and not in auto mode) you could do better (less grain).

• User profile image
    jamie

its in the lens

i asked the guy at henrys if there was a used one and he laughed

ps - re that night shot..i didnt set it to night..just auto - it went in a regular click (not the long one where you need to hold camera totally still)

edit: 

http://www.channel9.ca/pics.zip

*unedited - nikon / canon

• User profile image
    Minh

Minh wrote:
    any pentax user? I'm really seriously looking at that one
    It is ordered!

But now I know how the price can be a good $200 below Amazon (which probably comes from a 3rd party anyway, but probably has some standards in how they charge).

* Sir, the SD card you got is incompatible. You need this "hi-speed" card (Was $130, but we'll give it to you for $100)
    * No!
    * OK, what about if we give it to you for $70?
    * No!
    * OK, then the one you ordered is the import package, not the USA package
    * What's the difference
    * Oh, longer warantee...
    * OK, for $20, whatever...
    * OK, now, after we add $50 insurance...
    * What insurance? OK, whatever...

But overall, with a bag, UV filter, and 2GB SD card, it was only slightly more than Amazon...

Whatever... THese guys are slick...

• User profile image
    jamie

cool. im sure you will create wonderful pics with it Smiley

* it's not just about the camera...

edit: let us know how the Pentax stacks up (im sure you will anyway Wink)

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie wrote:
    cool. im sure you will create wonderful pics with it

* it's not just about the camera...

edit: let us know how the Pentax stacks up (im sure you will anyway )
    Yah... gonna have to go photo walking...

But I was tired of blurry pic on the Canon... could have something to do w/ the cheapo lens, though... Something about focal length & such... I take most pics on automatic anyway... haha

But the Pentax promises new UI, too... Canon UI is so boring...

• User profile image
    jamie

nikon ui rocks during setup.  havent needed it/seen it since Wink

edit - i did not bump this...ms oems? Tongue Out

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.