Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

so..uh... Nikon wins.. hands down.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DigitalDud

jamie wrote:
    well ya you can.. its just the focus

basically all small cameras take pics of things ...flat

SLR just means... depth /  burred BG but focus on object...

* sometimes you wish you could get flat on them though

I don't think you need an SLR for aperture priority, I've seen several point-and-shoot cameras that do that.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I love my D40 Tongue Out D40 ftw

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

phreaks wrote:
    Ok, thanks.

Not sure if I understand exactly, but the premise is that a nice SLR will give me noticably better pictures... ?
    considering how small your camera sensor is, of course it will! Smiley (much more better)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SensorSizes.png

• User profile image
    phreaks

Ion Todirel wrote:

phreaks wrote:
    Ok, thanks.

Not sure if I understand exactly, but the premise is that a nice SLR will give me noticably better pictures... ?
    considering how small your camera sensor is, of course it will! Smiley (much more better)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SensorSizes.png

hmm, this is from a review of my camera
    Some Reviewer Person wrote:

Bottom Line: Very cool super zoom with very good picture quality but the wimpy small sensor brings the camera’s overall score down.'

WTF is a sensor and how do I know how big it is for future reference?

So size does matter?!? :O:s

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

phreaks wrote:
    WTF is a sensor and how do I know how big it is for future reference?

So size does matter?!?

well that depends on what kind of camera do you have, historically DSLR's have a bigger sensor size while digi-cam's have a much smaller one (tipically ranging from 1/1.7" - 1/2.5")

what's a camera sensor? now common, you are a software guy don't you know anything about hardware, electronics and all cool stuff? a bigger sensor will get better images because it is more sensitive and have better dynamic range and other stuff... so yes size does matter not mega-pixels, well lens also matters but that another story

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Ion Todirel wrote:
    so yes size does matter not mega-pixels

Surely megapixels are determined by sensor size?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

GoddersUK wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:
    so yes size does matter not mega-pixels

Surely megapixels are determined by sensor size?
    no, who said that? what I've meant is that sensor size is a more important thing to consider than MP

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Ion Todirel wrote:
    no, who said that? what I've meant is that sensor size is a more important thing to consider than MP

Surely the sensor size is determined by the number of light sensitive areas on the ccd, and surely each of those light sensitive areas translates directly to one pixel (forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's just what seems logical Tongue Out).

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

dbl Sad

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

GoddersUK wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

Surely the sensor size is determined by the number of light sensitive areas on the ccd, and surely each of those light sensitive areas translates directly to one pixel (forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's just what seems logical ).

Sensor size is determined by the physical size of the sensor.  This does not necessarily mean that there are more pixels on the sensor (the D40 is only a 6 MP camera, for example), and more pixels are not necessarily better--  at the same sensor size, fewer pixels mean each light sensitive area is larger, which means more light's hitting each element and the camera's more sensitive (this means lower noise and better low-light performance).

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    the D40
    it's great to see more D40 owners who are also niners Tongue Out

what kind of lenses do you have for D40?

• User profile image
    SaraJoRedux

are those your kids? they are beautiful.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Sensor size is determined by the physical size of the sensor.  This does not necessarily mean that there are more pixels on the sensor (the D40 is only a 6 MP camera, for example), and more pixels are not necessarily better--  at the same sensor size, fewer pixels mean each light sensitive area is larger, which means more light's hitting each element and the camera's more sensitive (this means lower noise and better low-light performance)

So bigger sensor > More light,

the size on the sensor=1 pixel is variable

correct?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ion Todirel wrote:

the D40
    it's great to see more D40 owners who are also niners

what kind of lenses do you have for D40?

Just the kit lens (18-55mm/f3.5-5.6)...  I'm a poor university student Wink

I want to get the 55-200mm lens, though...  relatively inexpensive, but decent quality and good reach.  I also wish Nikon would come out with a good, fast AF-S prime lens (around 35-50mm)...  that's the only real hole in their AF-S lineup.  The equivalent Sigma lens (that would work on the D40) isn't that great, plus it's rather expensive.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

GoddersUK wrote:

Sensor size is determined by the physical size of the sensor.  This does not necessarily mean that there are more pixels on the sensor (the D40 is only a 6 MP camera, for example), and more pixels are not necessarily better--  at the same sensor size, fewer pixels mean each light sensitive area is larger, which means more light's hitting each element and the camera's more sensitive (this means lower noise and better low-light performance)

So bigger sensor > More light,

the size on the sensor=1 pixel is variable

correct?

Correct.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I'd like to buy a digital camera too. There are a lot of mariages and other things coming up in our family and maybe it's time for something decent. I've never taken many pictures with the old cheap family camera but I did learn in school about photography and how to work with a reflex camera.

Would the D40 be a good idea for an amateur/wannabe like me or should I go for a cheap Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

ZippyV wrote:
    I'd like to buy a digital camera too. There are a lot of mariages and other things coming up in our family and maybe it's time for something decent. I've never taken many pictures with the old cheap family camera but I did learn in school about photography and how to work with a reflex camera.

Would the D40 be a good idea for an amateur/wannabe like me or should I go for a cheap Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?

Once again I'm going to sing the praises of my FZ18 - I mean, it was £200 and it's pretty damn good for the money.

18x Optically stabalized lens
    8MP
    Fully Manual
    So many picture modes you'll never use them, and they're flexible so you don't get sterile images with them.

I love it Big Smile

I've got a Camera post on my blog somewhere.. I'll grab 't link for you, give me a minute.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Massif

Bah! You point and shoot types.

Me <3 Sony A100 (yes yes, I know they're on 700 and 350 now, but I was an early adopter and I love my camera Tongue Out)

Also, Me <3 my flickr pro account.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.