Coffeehouse Thread

57 posts

so..uh... Nikon wins.. hands down.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

ZippyV wrote:
    Would the D40 be a good idea for an amateur/wannabe like me or should I go for a cheap Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?

Kabump

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

ZippyV wrote:
    Would the D40 be a good idea for an amateur/wannabe like me or should I go for a cheap Sony Cybershot with a Carl Zeiss lens?
    If you don't want to end with another "old cheap family camera" you should go with a DSLR, Nikon D40 is a good one to start with

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Ion Todirel wrote:

ZippyV wrote:
    If you don't want to end with another "old cheap family camera" you should go with a DSLR, Nikon D40 is a good one to start with

It does have one issue that you need to be aware of if you intend to buy lenses for it, though:  it will only autofocus with AF-S or AF-I lenses (most of Nikon's zoom/telephoto lenses have already been switched over to AF-S, but there are no fast AF-S prime lenses available from Nikon).

Not an issue if you intend to stick with the kit 18-55mm lens, but you need to be aware of it before you buy the camera.  Aside from the lens compatibility issues, it's a great camera.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.