Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Silverlight Video Player Too Slow

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ktr

the new silverlight video player is cool, but it is really slow to load. it takes about 30 seconds for me in firefox 2 on xp sp2. and the worst part is during those 30 seconds, firefox becomes unresponsive.

i don't know if this is just a silverlight bug, but it is really annoying. does that happen to anyone else?

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

That seems odd.  It shouldn't take that long.  You can go into your settings of your profile and where it says "Use Silverlight" just say no.  Really though, it would be interesting to find out why it's so slow on your machine.  Maybe try uninstalling all versions of Silverlight on your machine, then re-install 1.0 and see what happens.

• User profile image
    littleguru

It's also lagging here for like 5 seconds before showing it... that's a little bit odd because each time i visit the front page it takes these 5 seconds. I don't know if that is related to the video stream check because after that sometimes the error message (could not connect to stream xxx - or similar) comes up!

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

littleguru wrote:
    It's also lagging here for like 5 seconds before showing it... that's a little bit odd because each time i visit the front page it takes these 5 seconds. I don't know if that is related to the video stream check because after that sometimes the error message (could not connect to stream xxx - or similar) comes up!

It's quite possible that's what the problem is for you.  We're still trying to figure out the optimal way to get the video down to the player.  We may add an option to stream down the wmv instead of connecting to the streaming media server, so whichever works better for people, they can use.

• User profile image
    littleguru

HumanCompiler wrote:

littleguru wrote:

It's quite possible that's what the problem is for you.  We're still trying to figure out the optimal way to get the video down to the player.  We may add an option to stream down the wmv instead of connecting to the streaming media server, so whichever works better for people, they can use.

I don't know if you need to connect to the media server when I'm only loading the website... I'm not that much into Silverlight to judge that. But if there's a ways to not connect to the media server when loading the website and showing a static image instead that would be great! Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

littleguru wrote:
    I don't know if you need to connect to the media server when I'm only loading the website... I'm not that much into Silverlight to judge that. But if there's a ways to not connect to the media server when loading the website and showing a static image instead that would be great!

That's actually our next step for the player.  Smiley  We just haven't gotten there yet.

• User profile image
    littleguru

HumanCompiler wrote:

littleguru wrote:
    I don't know if you need to connect to the media server when I'm only loading the website... I'm not that much into Silverlight to judge that. But if there's a ways to not connect to the media server when loading the website and showing a static image instead that would be great!

That's actually our next step for the player.    We just haven't gotten there yet.

Great to hear that Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.