Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

anyone had the honour/horror of flying...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz

    Air Kuwait (or kuwait Airways, same difference).  I shall be travelling with them on friday, for my annual trip to malaysia to see the in laws.  We decided to go with air kuwait this time because money was a bit tight and they were £100 cheaper than air malaysia.


    I look forward to the experience, though I will be stopping in kuwait for 2 hours Sad on the way there and slightly longer on the way back. i'm only a bit upset as it's not really enough time to go out and see the country.  and i'll be stuck in KLIA for 4 hours between flights from KL to Penang.  hmm remind me to pack my PSP charger.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Jaz wrote:
    Air Kuwait (or kuwait Airways, same difference).  I shall be travelling with them on friday, for my annual trip to malaysia to see the in laws.  We decided to go with air kuwait this time because money was a bit tight and they were £100 cheaper than air malaysia.


    I look forward to the experience, though I will be stopping in kuwait for 2 hours on the way there and slightly longer on the way back. i'm only a bit upset as it's not really enough time to go out and see the country.  and i'll be stuck in KLIA for 4 hours between flights from KL to Penang.  hmm remind me to pack my PSP charger.


    Not the honor of flying Air Kuwait, but I was in a 24-hour non-stop flight from Singapore to London, business-class in Malaysia Airways (I don't know if that's the same thing as Air Malaysia).

    Don't worry about not seeing Kuwait, you're not missing much.

    Oh, note the airports around there don't have free wifi (but still cheaper than Yurop airports). Take a laptop, infinately more fun than a PSP for sure.

  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    I don't see how you guys are able to fly on 8+ hour trips. Here is list of Airport plugs if you need it.

  • User profile image
    irascian

    I worked in Kuwait for a couple of years so used them quite a bit (but this was before the Iraq invasion so way out of date). I preferred them to British Airways to be honest. Admittedly no booze (I'm not a drinker) and if there was an inflight movie it was censored to hell but the planes were modern and the staff and customer service was way better than BA making for a much more relaxing flight.

    Just be careful about alcohol. I'll never forget the time a customs inspector found some liquor chocolates in the passenger ahead of me's luggage and went into a screaming fit jumping up and down on them.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Not the honor of flying Air Kuwait, but I was in a 24-hour non-stop flight from Singapore to London, business-class in Malaysia Airways (I don't know if that's the same thing as Air Malaysia).


    How does a 24 hour non-stop flight from Singapore to London work? My flight from London to Australia was 22 hours, and we made the London-Singapore flight in about 15 hours.

    Did they fly across both poles or something? Or did you take a zeppelin?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Bas wrote:
    How does a 24 hour non-stop flight from Singapore to London work? My flight from London to Australia was 22 hours, and we made the London-Singapore flight in about 15 hours.

    Did they fly across both poles or something? Or did you take a zeppelin?


    Sorry, bad recollection.

    It was a 22 hour non-stop flight from Manila to Amsterdam with KLM in August 1998, but a 24 hour flight from Hong Kong to London via Malaysia in April 1999.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    Sorry, bad recollection.

    It was a 22 hour non-stop flight from Manila to Amsterdam with KLM in August 1998, but a 24 hour flight from Hong Kong to London via Malaysia in April 1999.


    I see. Sounds like a nightmare.

    My flight was somewhere at the end of august in 2001. We flew over Afghanistan, and did a little 'see if we can spot Osama' routine.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    W3bbo wrote:
    It was a 22 hour non-stop flight from Manila to Amsterdam with KLM in August 1998

    I'm still not sure how that worked. I've got three places called "Manila" in Flight Simulator, two in the US and one in the Phillipines. The longest estimated flight time I can get from either of them is just short of 12 hours (and FSX is extremely accurate on this in my experience). So unless you went the wrong way around the planet (which is a rather strange thing to on a non-stop flight) or there's another Manila that FSX doesn't know about, how the hell did this take 22 hours?

  • User profile image
    saldous
  • User profile image
    Rossj

    Sven Groot wrote:
    The longest estimated flight time I can get from either of them is just short of 12 hours (and FSX is extremely accurate on this in my experience).


    Maybe FSX doesn't need to take detours around restricted or dangerous airspace?  Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Rossj wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote:
    The longest estimated flight time I can get from either of them is just short of 12 hours (and FSX is extremely accurate on this in my experience).


    Maybe FSX doesn't need to take detours around restricted or dangerous airspace? 

    If I tell FSX to plot a route based on high-altitude airways, it uses real high-altitude airways that real aircraft use.

    I've flown routes in FSX that I've flown in real life too, and it was scarily accurate. Usually the FSX flight is within 30 minutes of the real flight which for any kind of distance is extremely close given wind differences

    Before I flew to Japan I did the same flight in FSX (and you will understand I did quite a large part of it on autopilot with 16x simulation speed). Not only did it take pretty much exactly the same amount of time (going by the in-game clock, not elapsed time, because 16x speed is unfortunately not available in real flights), FSX was also perfectly accurate in predicting the exact moments of sunset and sunrise, and the position and phase of th moon (I had the date in the game set at the actual flight date). FSX actually also plots the position of over 10,000 stars, but that I didn't check.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Sven Groot wrote:
    
    Rossj wrote:
    
    Sven Groot wrote:
    The longest estimated flight time I can get from either of them is just short of 12 hours (and FSX is extremely accurate on this in my experience).


    Maybe FSX doesn't need to take detours around restricted or dangerous airspace? 

    If I tell FSX to plot a route based on high-altitude airways, it uses real high-altitude airways that real aircraft use.

    I've flown routes in FSX that I've flown in real life too, and it was scarily accurate. Usually the FSX flight is within 30 minutes of the real flight which for any kind of distance is extremely close given wind differences

    Before I flew to Japan I did the same flight in FSX (and you will understand I did quite a large part of it on autopilot with 16x simulation speed). Not only did it take pretty much exactly the same amount of time (going by the in-game clock, not elapsed time, because 16x speed is unfortunately not available in real flights), FSX was also perfectly accurate in predicting the exact moments of sunset and sunrise, and the position and phase of th moon (I had the date in the game set at the actual flight date). FSX actually also plots the position of over 10,000 stars, but that I didn't check.


    Okay, I was 10 at the time, memories get corrupted and all that, but I know it was at least 18 hours in the air.

  • User profile image
    xgamer

    W3bbo wrote:
    

    Not the honor of flying Air Kuwait, but I was in a 24-hour non-stop flight from Singapore to London, business-class in Malaysia Airways (I don't know if that's the same thing as Air Malaysia).

    Don't worry about not seeing Kuwait, you're not missing much.

    Oh, note the airports around there don't have free wifi (but still cheaper than Yurop airports). Take a laptop, infinately more fun than a PSP for sure.


    There isn't any airliner called Air Malaysia - its Malaysian Airlines.

    By the way KLIA does have a free (though not so fast) wireless internet in its terminals. So in the four hours you can visit channel9 Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.