Coffeehouse Thread

64 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Yahoo: No more DRM for us

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/10/10/0129258.shtml

..yes its on slashdot.. sorry.

So Vista Vista Vista.  When is the announcement going to come that MS has decided to stop trying to enforce this un-popular and emotionally explosive missive?

I bet Vista sales would triple over night if someone over there (arg!) would just stand up and say something...(with a patch to go with it)

IE7 was a good start...for DRM's cousin - WGA

Coffee.....

• User profile image
    phreaks

Ian Rogers Rules.

I love this quote:

Napster didn’t invent the ability to do P2P, it was inherent in TCP/IP. It was like throwing Newton in jail for popularizing the concept of gravity.

• User profile image
    Ray6

jamie wrote:

I bet Vista sales would triple over night if someone over there (arg!) would just stand up and say something...(with a patch to go with it)

I am baffled as to why folk seem to think that DRM is somehow the responsibility of Microsoft. Apple never gets this sh**t and they made it mainstream!

And no, Vista sales would not triple overnight. DRM/WGA are only bashed on about by a relatively small number of geeks, who would find some other reason to bash MS anyway.

DRM will come to an end because of the folk who were smart enough to attack it at its source, not because of those who saw it as an excuse to moan at Microsoft.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Ray6 wrote:

jamie wrote:

I am baffled as to why folk seem to think that DRM is somehow the responsibility of Microsoft. Apple never gets this sh**t and they made it mainstream!...DRM will come to an end because of the folk who were smart enough to attack it at its source, not because of those who saw it as an excuse to moan at Microsoft.

Looks like you need to attack it at its source and not blame Apple for anything - Steve Jobs isn't a fan of DRM. Microsoft doesn't seem to put up much a fight, which is why they get burned whenever the subject comes up. Where is Bill Gates' multi-page heart-pouring on how he doesn't support the movement, but is obliged to cooperate?

• User profile image
    Bas

How exactly is removing the DRM features from Vista going to help the situation, instead of limiting the amount of media that you can play?

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Where is Bill Gates' multi-page heart-pouring on how he doesn't support the movement, but is obliged to cooperate?

Bill Gates stated many moons ago that he thinks DRM has huge problems and causes too much pain for consumers.

• User profile image
    Ray6

jsampsonPC wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

jamie wrote:

I am baffled as to why folk seem to think that DRM is somehow the responsibility of Microsoft. Apple never gets this sh**t and they made it mainstream!...DRM will come to an end because of the folk who were smart enough to attack it at its source, not because of those who saw it as an excuse to moan at Microsoft.

Looks like you need to attack it at its source and not blame Apple for anything - Steve Jobs isn't a fan of DRM. Microsoft doesn't seem to put up much a fight, which is why they get burned whenever the subject comes up. Where is Bill Gates' multi-page heart-pouring on how he doesn't support the movement, but is obliged to cooperate?

Oh please. Steve Jobs says one thing and does another.  The DRM is a  convenient way for him to lock users into the iPod and then blame someone else for it.  And now with DRM failing, what does he do? He sends down an update that will prevent iPod users from using any media software other than iTunes (which, incidentally, is one of the worst Windows apps I've ever come across).  So the lock-in can continue, even without DRM.

And while I complain a lot about the WGA, I also recognise when the same tactics are applied with better marketing. At least the Microsoft WGA allows you to carry on using your machine if MS suspects you've broken your agreement. Apple's WGA turns your phone into a brick.

Sorry, but if Jobs hated DRM so much, then he would allow artists to sell DRM-free tracks on iTunes, when they asked him to.

• User profile image
    Ray6

Bas wrote:
    How exactly is removing the DRM features from Vista going to help the situation, instead of limiting the amount of media that you can play?

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Where is Bill Gates' multi-page heart-pouring on how he doesn't support the movement, but is obliged to cooperate?

Bill Gates stated many moons ago that he thinks DRM has huge problems and causes too much pain for consumers.

.. and if I remember rightly, he said this before Jobs made his announcement.

Seriously, Microsoft needs some better PR people ....

• User profile image
    Ray6

jsampsonPC wrote:

Perhaps he knows that is is bad manners and somewhat hypocritical, to whine about your partners while making money out of them?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Ray6 wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Perhaps he knows that is is bad manners and somewhat hypocritical, to whine about your partners while making money out of them?

Getting rid of Music on iTunes would piss off many millions of people, including me. Even though it's DRM'd, I still buy my music from iTunes exclusively.

Atleast now I know Jobs' true colors - He's not a fan of it, but it's the only way he can sell it and keep the consumers happy.

"Lesser of two evils" rule here I guess. Not having it at all would be evil++ Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray6

jsampsonPC wrote:

Ray6 wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Getting rid of Music on iTunes would piss off many millions of people, including me. Even though it's DRM'd, I still buy my music from iTunes exclusively.

Riigghhtt ... so it's okay because Apple is doing it?

Here, you really need to read this.

jsampsonPC wrote:

Atleast now I know Jobs' true colors - He's not a fan of it, but it's the only way he can sell it and keep the consumers happy.

He is no more or less a fan of it than Bill Gates.  In the end, actions speak louder than words, and I don't see much action from either of them. The only difference is that at least Gates has enough class not to hide behind his partners while doing it ...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

No action from iTunes!? Dude, you've got to be kidding..

"Apple unveils higher-quality DRM-Free music on iTunes"
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html

• User profile image
    andokai

jamie wrote:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/10/10/0129258.shtml

..yes its on slashdot.. sorry.

So Vista Vista Vista.  When is the announcement going to come that MS has decided to stop trying to enforce this un-popular and emotionally explosive missive?

IE7 was a good start...for DRM's cousin - WGA

Coffee.....

So what do you want exactly, that your computer is unable to play songs that are protected by DRM? What would that achieve?

Give out to companies who put DRM on their music not those who allow you to play it.

Why not give out to syringe manufacturers too? People use them to take heroin.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jsampsonPC wrote:

Heh. AAC 256kbps. How many tracks are available in the new "interoperable" format? How expensive they are?

In a month or so you'll have one million MP3 tracks from Zune Marketplace and, while I don't know the exact details, it looks like the pricing is not tied to the presence or the lack of DRM...

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

PaoloM wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Heh. AAC 256kbps. How many tracks are available in the new "interoperable" format? How expensive they are?

In a month or so you'll have one million MP3 tracks from Zune Marketplace and, while I don't know the exact details, it looks like the pricing is not tied to the presence or the lack of DRM...

The pricing is annoying, but I'm not too sad about having to pay $.30 more for non DRM music. I still buy DRM'd music as it is. Hopefully Amazon's MP3 library will get a bit larger - then I'll start buying from them exclusively.

I hope for Zune's sake they offer DRM-Free music at no additional charge. If that thing is going to live, it will need to bring something very very unique with it.

• User profile image
    jamie

andokai wrote:

So what do you want exactly, that your computer is unable to play songs that are protected by DRM? What would that achieve?

my ability to respect, trust and "LOVE this company"... might be re-charged (like totally)

it is.. yahoo.  2nd to google (another do no evil company)

i agree jobs is all no drm talk - but then the most ridiculous lockin schemes from music to phones

ms does need better marketing - no argument there

* to me things started going downhill for ms - right after the court case and ballmer took charge.  thats just me though.. im sure many people love locked down UI's with protected video paths and stuff

*i havent even downloaded anything recently.. or played "premium" content (haha) on my computer.

to me knowing it is there - is enough to not trust MUCH more.

"trust worthy computing" should start by trusting us. Kitchen Sink.  whole shebang etc

PS - i will buy Radioheads new album - for 4.99 (the price i believe DIGITAL albums with no middlemen or distribution and manufacturing costs should be.
    (i burn it..i pay to download it.. i print it out... i put it together)

If every album was 5 bucks - i wouldnt ever open emule or whatever again (this assumes they have weird old albums too)

• User profile image
    jamie

analogy (uhoh)

- go by a steak from a farmer in the country (artist = low cost)

then

- go by a steak at Loblaws or big super market (distributor = higher cost / thinner steak)

then

- go to a nice restaurant and buy a cooked steak (marketing = manufacturing = higher cost)

>>>>>>>>>>>

the cost of cds with full colour booklets and highest quality tracks was aprox - 20$ across the board (give or take) *i did work at Sound City for 3 years when i was a musician

so minus / minus / minus / (download fee, time, ink, paper, case, cds, burn software, advertising, payola to radio, etc etc..

but they never removed it. they still want 20 bucks. even 10 is double too much

if they just said - here - 5 bucks... no drm..  ?

*the same could be said of Ultimate... (99 bucks! no drm!  ...runs)

• User profile image
    Bas

I don't know. I'd rather have functionality over some symbolic gesture of trust.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bas wrote:

I don't know. I'd rather have functionality over some symbolic gesture of trust.

what if it was an option during install?

a screen with any - what id call questionable - and youd call convenience - stuff Wink
    ?

would that work?  (auto promoting isnt working?)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.