Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

If Google enterd gaming market

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    Figure in that its just a matter of time...

    Will it be a *MORPG to rival blizzards world of war craft. How about the casual market where the pay outs are in the millions and they could hang out with the likes of Electronic arts pogo.com.  We probably won’t see Google in the market of consoles any time soon just because it wouldn’t match their mo. would it effect Microsoft?

    edit * MMORPG

  • User profile image
    Bas

    jason818_253.33 wrote:
    Figure in that its just a matter of time...

    Will it be a MORPG (massive online role playing game) to rival blizzards world of war craft. How about the casual market where the pay outs are in the millions and they could hang out with the likes of Electronic arts pogo.com.  We probably won’t see Google in the market of consoles any time soon just because it wouldn’t match their mo. would it effect Microsoft?


    How many google products does the average internet user (and presumable, the market for video games) really use? Search, maps, maybe GMail. Sure. What else? I can't think of something that became a success in that market. Why would this become a succes?

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    Bas wrote:
    
    jason818_253.33 wrote:
    Figure in that its just a matter of time...

    Will it be a MORPG (massive online role playing game) to rival blizzards world of war craft. How about the casual market where the pay outs are in the millions and they could hang out with the likes of Electronic arts pogo.com.  We probably won’t see Google in the market of consoles any time soon just because it wouldn’t match their mo. would it effect Microsoft?


    How many google products does the average internet user (and presumable, the market for video games) really use? Search, maps, maybe GMail. Sure. What else? I can't think of something that became a success in that market. Why would this become a succes?

    are you being sarcastic?

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    I reckon they'll step in soon. I also think they'll use Google earth - allowing you to use the stuff they've had made for so long to game on. Blow stuff up, whatever.. fly aeroplanes around, helicopters.. everything. But also, I think it'd help them because players would modify parts of the world to make them more realistic, helping Google Earth progress further and further.. while Google do absolutely nothing.

    And it MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Game Wink

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    harumscarum

    I would picture it as they provide the ability to deliver someone elses game and then litters it with ads and puts a beta sticker on it.

  • User profile image
    Kilkenny

    I agree - the only way Google would enter the gaming business would be in the form of a delivery platform (ie. a competitor to Steam), through which people can find, buy, and install games.

    But even then, there's cross-platform issues in downloading & running locally installed games, unless if everything is Flash-powered.

    So a Google competitor to Yahoo! Games for serving up online Flash games that can be played in your browser (alongside google ads) would be much more likely than a Steam rival for games that need to be installed locally due to size and performance issues.


  • User profile image
    Bas

    jason818_253.33 wrote:
    
    are you being sarcastic?


    No. Like I said, Google is doing an awful lot, but the only thing I'm seeing the average user pick up is search, maps and to a lesser extent, GMail. That's a very small fraction of what they do. Why would something like gaming become a success story for Google?

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    Lloyd_Humph wrote:

    And it MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Game


    Wink

    harumscarum wrote:
    I would picture it as they provide the ability to deliver someone elses game and then litters it with ads and puts a beta sticker on it.

    I could see them being an on line publisher of sorts. Gamblins is also big, wonder if they will tie in adds with gambling or "chance to win". maybe a space to rival 2nd life or something like it for a gathering space for gamers.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I reckon they'll step in soon. I also think they'll use Google earth - allowing you to use the stuff they've had made for so long to game on. Blow stuff up, whatever.. fly aeroplanes around, helicopters.. everything. But also, I think it'd help them because players would modify parts of the world to make them more realistic, helping Google Earth progress further and further.. while Google do absolutely nothing.

    And it MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Game


    Eh?

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    (Darn it, Paint's crappy JPEG compression kinda ruined my picture... [C])

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    Bas wrote:
    
    jason818_253.33 wrote:
    
    are you being sarcastic?


    No. Like I said, Google is doing an awful lot, but the only thing I'm seeing the average user pick up is search, maps and to a lesser extent, GMail. That's a very small fraction of what they do. Why would something like gaming become a success story for Google?


    I agreee.

    Google mail is lacking. And the only reason is: It's not shiny. It's dull, IMO, and it doesn't appeal to people. Live Mail is SHINY and pretty customizeable. Yahoo is pretty good. The only problem is that not many people are latching onto GMail - because it isn't pretty enough. The potential is there, the junk filters etc. are EXCELLENT but people just aren't jumping on the wagon.

    I only got a Hotmail account because my dad had one. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. My brother only got a Yahoo account because my mum has one. It's the same with MSN - you get MSN because your friends have it. Just like you'd get AIM if your friends had it.

    It's all about influence, Google need to influence more people.

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.