Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Descriptive Icons

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Do you think the box icon metaphor works anymore?

should icons be given a new canvas of descriptive territory?

i think so.  perhaps a new default - of 120 high by 240 - or in other words Landscape Large Icons

Perhaps an icon for Frontpage (ahem) would show a human at computer - with pages going to a world

or one for email - would be person recieving stream of letters from moon or sky

one look at vistas start menu (all text) helps show that the current square and small icon format doesnt work too well for 3d (it does for real icons - 2d)

so why not larger - longer - scenerio icons?

technical reasons why not?
    too much memory needed to display?

how would you improve icons?

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie wrote:
    Do you think the box icon metaphor works anymore?

should icons be given a new canvas of descriptive territory?

i think so.  perhaps a new default - of 160 high by 240 - or in other words Landscape Large Icons

Vista supports 256x256 PNG icons by default.

jamie wrote:

one look at vistas start menu (all text)

My Vista start menu has icons, it's not all text. Large icons, too.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bas wrote:

Vista supports 256x256 PNG icons.

jamie wrote:

one look at vistas start menu (all text)

My Vista start menu has icons, it's not all text. Large icons, too.

all text on right / delayed hover icon top

• User profile image
    keeron

I think he meant the text on the right side of the menu (documents, pictures, control panel, printers, run... etc)

I think we'd need those. Replacing those with icons (large ones that Vista supports, like the one at the top when you mouse over the text menu items on the start menu) might not be a good idea. It will make the menu very thin, plus even for advanced users it might be a little tricky to find stuff. For something icons work, but for others you need text. Imagine all your menus with text replaced with just icons Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

i would like to see icons that are landscape - perhaps not 120 high..

*the idea is the icon shows the action - cant really do that in a square  (bad sample above)

edit: or even worse sample:

..but imagine if the icons on desktop were that long - you could show an action?

a hover over it would animate it?

• User profile image
    Bas

You can make all sorts of shapes through the magic of alpha channels. Squares, landscaped images, circles, recycle bins... Images of messages flying from one pc to another...

The samples you created, for instance, are perfectly possible in vista.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

keeron wrote:
    I think he meant the text on the right side of the menu (documents, pictures, control panel, printers, run... etc)

I think we'd need those. Replacing those with icons (large ones that Vista supports, like the one at the top when you mouse over the text menu items on the start menu) might not be a good idea. It will make the menu very thin, plus even for advanced users it might be a little tricky to find stuff. For something icons work, but for others you need text. Imagine all your menus with text replaced with just icons

I would have preferred Vista's start menu if it had the icons next to the labels on the right-hand side of the panel.

Reason being that it's faster to recognise objects by picture rather than by text. This is why most users of Windows/Office in English can use the German or Spanish versions fine, without knowing the language, since they use visual (rather than textual) clues: like the positioning of buttons and controls in common windows, and icons and stuff.

• User profile image
    jamie

re: Bas

yes - but with no shape other than square readily supported.  I thought i asked how to make icons better / more descriptive - not how to pick apart things people say.

ill save you the trouble: im always wrong.  That said - why not descriptive landscape icons? and im sorry - but the Vista start menu = read text - not see my computer etc
    Wink

• User profile image
    Bas

jamie wrote:

yes - but with no shape other than square readily supported. 

But they are. You just don't use the rest of the square. That way it will technically -be- a square, but it won't look like one. That's all that matters.

jamie wrote:

I thought i asked how to make icons better / more descriptive - not how to pick apart things people say.

So now I'm not allowed to explain how this feature you want is already possible? Great.

Here's a thought: make a witty avatar caption out of it.

• User profile image
    jamie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.