Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Zune outside of US

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    compugab

    Now, in about a month, it will be the first year of Zune availability in the US. Now that you have played with it enough, do you know when other countries (like Canada) will be able to play with it too?

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    compugab wrote:
    Now, in about a month, it will be the first year of Zune availability in the US. Now that you have played with it enough, do you know when other countries (like Canada) will be able to play with it too?

    I cannot speak with any kind of officiality (as I know nothing about the dealings), but I suspect availability in other countries depends a lot on local licensing agreements with the labels.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    PaoloM wrote:
    
    compugab wrote:
    Now, in about a month, it will be the first year of Zune availability in the US. Now that you have played with it enough, do you know when other countries (like Canada) will be able to play with it too?

    I cannot speak with any kind of officiality (as I know nothing about the dealings), but I suspect availability in other countries depends a lot on local licensing agreements with the labels.


    Pretty much. I spent 4 years dealing with the labels and the complexity of licensing, if you have the rights to sell in Europe you very rarely have the rights to sell elsewhere.

    However it's weird to see the US and Canada seperated, normally they're one and the same licensing wise.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    So how does Apple Manage it in Europe? Or MSN Music, for that matter?

    Also, there hasn't been any real Vdeo Marketplace in Europe either (I'm presuming also due to licensing issues), but that didn't stop the 360 from being sold there?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Bas wrote:
    

    So how does Apple Manage it in Europe? Or MSN Music, for that matter?

    Also, there hasn't been any real Vdeo Marketplace in Europe either (I'm presuming also due to licensing issues), but that didn't stop the 360 from being sold there?



    MSN music managed it by not being Microsoft, but a rebranded service from a UK company (the same people do Tiscali's music offerering as well). So that company already had distribution licenses.

    Apple took 2 or 3 years to get iTunes marketplaces in the UK, and longer for other countries, and it's still not world wide.

    And the 360 doesn't make its money off video sales, it makes it off games. None of its rivals have video sales either. But as the zune is competing against the iPod, releasing without a store would be marketing suicide.

  • User profile image
    Bas

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Bas wrote:
    

    So how does Apple Manage it in Europe? Or MSN Music, for that matter?

    Also, there hasn't been any real Vdeo Marketplace in Europe either (I'm presuming also due to licensing issues), but that didn't stop the 360 from being sold there?



    MSN music managed it by not being Microsoft, but a rebranded service from a UK company (the same people do Tiscali's music offerering as well). So that company already had distribution licenses.


    I see. But, then isn't it possible to re-rebrand that company as Zune Marketplace Europe, or something?

    Good point about the 360 though. But I still can't help but wonder how all these other audio players are managing it without music stores.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Bas wrote:
    
    I see. But, then isn't it possible to re-rebrand that company as Zune Marketplace Europe, or something?

    Good point about the 360 though. But I still can't help but wonder how all these other audio players are managing it without music stores.


    Rebrand? I would hope not, OD2's service is dire. And it's not using the Zune DRM. And doesn't do non-DRMed tracks.

    Plus Zune (and the iPod) want to lock people to Microsoft/Apple. Adding in third parties is kind of against the point from Microsoft's point of view.

    Plus one would hope that Apple and Microsoft can make better deals that a piddly little company like OD2.

    As for other players, well they're on no-ones radar. It's marketing. Imagine the glee from Apple if MS launched Zunes without a store. Perception counts; you can't replace the iPod if you don't offer 85% of what they already have.

  • User profile image
    Human​Compiler

    compugab wrote:
    Now, in about a month, it will be the first year of Zune availability in the US. Now that you have played with it enough, do you know when other countries (like Canada) will be able to play with it too?


    Caser talks about their out of US plans or lack thereof here...

    http://www.on10.net/Blogs/laura/zune-2-an-intimate-conversation-with-the-zune-team/

  • User profile image
    Bas

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Rebrand? I would hope not, OD2's service is dire. And it's not using the Zune DRM. And doesn't do non-DRMed tracks.

    Plus Zune (and the iPod) want to lock people to Microsoft/Apple. Adding in third parties is kind of against the point from Microsoft's point of view.


    Nuts, you're right. I don't so much care about the lack of non-DRMed tracks (I'm figuring these will come eventually anyway), but it'd help if they at least -worked- on the Zune, of course.


    blowdart wrote:
    
    Plus one would hope that Apple and Microsoft can make better deals that a piddly little company like OD2.


    One would hope so, but apparently it's incredibly hard if it takes them two to three years.

    blowdart wrote:
    
    As for other players, well they're on no-ones radar. It's marketing. Imagine the glee from Apple if MS launched Zunes without a store. Perception counts; you can't replace the iPod if you don't offer 85% of what they already have.


    But they weren't looking to replace Apple, they were planning to become #2. I know that's just talk, but still.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Bas wrote:
    

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Plus one would hope that Apple and Microsoft can make better deals that a piddly little company like OD2.


    One would hope so, but apparently it's incredibly hard if it takes them two to three years.


    Oh yes. And it's not just legal stuff (different companies are involved, the label who paid for the recording, the copyright holder of the music, the copyright holder of the lyrics {they can be different}) and then there's the stupidity of the labels.

    I was involved with EMI trying to put the beatles on-line. It was painful, and eventually cancelled because Apple Music wanted them to be a premium brand (read that as costing twice as much as anyone else)

  • User profile image
    Bas

    blowdart wrote:
    
    Oh yes. And it's not just legal stuff (different companies are involved, the label who paid for the recording, the copyright holder of the music, the copyright holder of the lyrics {they can be different}) and then there's the stupidity of the labels.

    I was involved with EMI trying to put the beatles on-line. It was painful, and eventually cancelled because Apple Music wanted them to be a premium brand (read that as costing twice as much as anyone else)



    I... I feel for you.


    Oh well. I guess we might see a Zune for sale here in five years time then, or so.

  • User profile image
    compugab

    Ok, so legal issues are blocking the Zune to be sold outside of US.

    So, what if I ask a friend in the US to buy one for me and he brings it (send it) back to Canada?

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    compugab wrote:
    Ok, so legal issues are blocking the Zune to be sold outside of US.

    So, what if I ask a friend in the US to buy one for me and he brings it (send it) back to Canada?


    Well, not exactly. Legal issues are holding up opening an on-line store outside the US that Microsoft controls.

    There's nothing stopping the device being sold; if they removed the pre-loaded music on it (which they probably don't have worldwide rights for).

    No, you or your friend won't get in trouble for shipping it over the border.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.