Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

xbox 360 and media center on a laptop do not work - xbox support says so

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    figuerres

Hows that?

I just got off the phone with an xbox 360 support tech who said that.

xbox 360 can not connect with any laptop running vista with media center.

why I ask?

reply:

some application on the laptop can not be supported.

which application i ask?

reply:

we do not know.
    use a desktop pc.

I ask about a known issue list, what hardware and so on....
    we do not know.

I tell her that is nuts, it's soo general and so useless....
    why are you not asking for information about the laptop?
    why are you not asking what brand, model etc... so that this issue can be resolved?

no answer.... just go away; we do not know.

Ok to be fair she did not say "go away" but....

no diagnostic process, not even tracking what hardware and software the user has.... how can you solve the problem if you do not track this stuff?

Grrrr..... Me wants to find a Sr. Staff on the X-box team to ask some questions ....

• User profile image
    joem83

I have been using my laptop with my 360, for over a year.  I am running Vista, without any trouble.  I steam my TV shows recorded on my laptop to the 360.

• User profile image
    figuerres

joem83 wrote:
    I have been using my laptop with my 360, for over a year.  I am running Vista, without any trouble.  I steam my TV shows recorded on my laptop to the 360.

Great, now if I just knew why my laptop won't connect Perplexed

I am sure that there must be some set of things that break the connection... but the xbox tech rep did not even try to help.

by the way I have seen some internet pages where a person had it working and when they just disconnected the link and then tried to re-link it failed.

one person said they thought an xbox-360 update made it not work.

no where have I found any info like "wireless chipset x does not work"  or "if you have app y21 it hoses xbox connection"

I am thinking of calling back when I have time and trying with a different tech, and if I get the same replies asking for a supervisor.

I would be much more willing to buy it if they had at least asked me a few more questions and given me something like my chipset or my drivers as a "known issue" that they were working on.

• User profile image
    AndyC

I'm pretty sure using a 360 as a media extender over wireless isn't a supported scenario (though I may well be wrong as I can't find anything to confirm that). Of course, that doesn't mean it won't work, it's just that if it doesn't, the official support line isn't going to help you resolve the issue.

Have you tried using a physical connection?

• User profile image
    figuerres

AndyC wrote:
    I'm pretty sure using a 360 as a media extender over wireless isn't a supported scenario (though I may well be wrong as I can't find anything to confirm that). Of course, that doesn't mean it won't work, it's just that if it doesn't, the official support line isn't going to help you resolve the issue.

Have you tried using a physical connection?

it was attached with a 100 Mega bit hub, xbox on one port, laptop on the other port, uplink port was going to a router and to the internet.

intenret connection worked, latop and xbox saw each other.

the xbox just failied to finish the connection / setup.

and the tech did not care how I connected, I told her it was a cable not a wireless connection.

she said "some applications on laptops"  nothing elese.

not which programs, she did not ask about hardware, installed apps, what kind of chipset for ethernet or any of that.

I get the impression they have issues in ither the 360 extender or the vista mce or both.

what really made it odd was the vauge "some applications" and that it was "any laptop"  but a PC would work.

that's just silly, what if it's an app compat and my pc has the same app running? then what?

• User profile image
    nksingh

The lady didn't know.  It wasn't on her script.  You probably should have asked for an escalation if you could have gotten one.

The support people who don't really know what they're talking about are there because a lot of people have really "typical" issues that really can be answered robotically.  Yours was not one of those, so you needed to talk to someone higher up.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

It's going to be something ONLY laptops have then.

Battery meter or something like that.

TBH it narrows the list down A LOT.

What about any (rapware you have installed?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    figuerres

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    It's going to be something ONLY laptops have then.

Battery meter or something like that.

TBH it narrows the list down A LOT.

What about any (rapware you have installed?

when I got the laptop first thing I did was un-install all the crud i did not need. that and made the system-restore disk :--)

then I upgraded the OS to ultimate.

and loaded MSFT tools, Visual Studio etc...

this is a fairly clean machine junkware wise....

and I am the only user, and I do not install 10,001 random things to load malware.

I do have One Care Live, which I did check the settings as the msft web site for xbox == mce tells me to.

I have an email from a msft guy and he asked me to try shuting off one care and see if it might be doing it.

the one other thing that *MIGHT* be a problem is UltraMon
    if so I can tell msft and file a bug with the publisher...

Ultra Mon is an addin for making multi-monitor setups work better, wall paper, screen saver, stuff like that has not been a problem so far with other apps, I have a desktop with dual displays and ultra mon and I can run games w/o problems and media ceter does not bug on ultra mon.

so perhaps One care is breaking things...

• User profile image
    phreaks

Install Ethereal and inspect the packets to see if you can see what is dropping your connection.

Did you turn upnp (or Media Sharing) on in network Connections?

• User profile image
    mrdestructo​523

hey I have the same damn problem. my xbox will not connect to my laptop either. if you ever figure it out i would appreciate some advice. thanks  my email is countryboy523@hotmail.com if you figure it out

• User profile image
    magicalclick

What brand are you using? Maybe the manufacture crippled it as usual?

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.