Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista, the college joke

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

Lately at Ohio State, students have been joking and complaining about Vista. A lot of mis information is tossed around, and a lot of hatred. Microsoft has done something horribly wrong, I have not met one person who likes Vista. Someone claimed "I heard Vista has so many holes in it, that anyone who know basic hacking skills could compromise your machine". I'm fairly certain that is incorrect. I also here people complaining about CPU usage on idle, someone claimed it used 80% on idle. Everyone complains about Vista people slow to boot, 2 minutes on average, and I'd have to say that is true. The most common phares I've heard is "Vista is sh&@!".

Anyways my point of this was, something needs to change...I don't know what was done to make Vista appear horrible, but there is some major hatred towards it. What happend, why is that? My computer actually gets laughed at or comments like "I'm sorry you're running Vista".

Windows 7 better be hip and it better be fast.

On a side note, I've never seen so many Macbooks in my life this year...

• User profile image
    jamie

"My computer actually gets laughed at or comments like "I'm sorry you're running Vista".

sorry.. but.. hahaha

that is so funny.  apart from that - ya - its sad.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I'm running Vista Ultimate, and it's very fast and very enjoyable. Guys at work have given me crap, but as soon as I say "Prove it", or "Show me", they all basically shut up with their "issues".

Not suprisingly, I work with A LOT of mac-users Smiley Like the author of this thread, I too am seeing TONS of macbooks all over the place. Honestly, I wold say like 3 to 1 macs to window's in my estimate.

• User profile image
    irascian

I've been surprised at how many of my colleagues have bought new laptops with Vista only to a few months later install XP SP2 on them. There seem to be way too many reports of "blue screens" that XP SP2 had pretty much eradicated.

That being said I'm only using Vista myself as a host for Virtual PC images running XP SP2 or Win 2003.

Can't say I like it much or that it feels anywhere near as consistent/reliable as XP does so I can understand the complaints. To have waited so long for something so incomplete with so much descoped is just plain disappointing. It just seems like an early release of something where things haven't been finished and there's little consistency to some fairly basic stuff.

• User profile image
    Ray6

It is hardly surprising.

The stuff about Vista being easy to crack, really is a crock of poo, but when I look at it, I see a mish-mash of code and  technology that goes to make up a less than consistent user interface. MacOSX just looks better, and that's what people see.

The fact that you cannot resize Windows from any side, and you have to travel miles to reach the menu doesn't seem to bother folk as much as it annoys me, but otherwise the attention to detail really makes for a nicer place to work. Really can't explain it.

OSX does boot faster, but I think that is only because it has less crudware to deal with on startup.

I don't think Apple makes the best looking laptops anymore (that title now belongs to Sony IMO) and the whole magsafe thing? (you know, where you can safely kick out the cable by accident, as long as you kick it out in an Apple approved accidental manner) But between the excellent retail stores, the ability to run Windows and the improvements (however minor) to OSX, then buying a Mac laptop is becoming a no-brainer.

Once Apple drops support for the whole PPC line, then I think they will have a lot more freedom to show what they can do. I think dropping Carbon is risky, but they need to drop the old stuff if they want to move forward; I have no idea what this will mean for PhotoShop and Office moving to 64-bit though ...

MS will always be hampered by the need for backwards compatibility, so I really don't think we'll see anything really new coming along in Windows7; they wouldn't risk a large scale migration by doing something that would cause compatibility problems.

There is really too much they can't do for me to switch over, but I keep watching .... Smiley

... and of course, I'd have to somehow get over joining that unbelievably obnoxious user base ....

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

I'd put it down to organised FUD campaigns.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

If there's one thing MS deserves credit for in Vista, it's security. It is the most secure commercial client OS ever made - PERIOD.  The # of vulnerabilities OSX has had plugged since 10.4 absolutely dwarfs Vistas meagre security-related patchs released so far.

But in other areas, it's understandable why people aren't impressed.  Random CPU spikes (especially with TrustedInstaller.exe), way too much disk access, incredibly long boot times until the desktop becomes usable, little innovation in the GUI, etc.  It's a good OS, yes - some of the negative hype are people jumping on the bandwagon.  But it does have the feeling of lacking a coherent design strategy, simply too many cooks IMO.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Nitz Walsh wrote:
    But it does have the feeling of lacking a coherent design strategy, simply too many cooks IMO.

There are parts of the OS that feel like that's the case and I hope they keep updating it and start making sure that it feels like one well thought out product.

I deal the "the average user" every day. I see what confuses people and there are things that can be done to help.

One thing MS needs to start doing is the simply SHOW people doing interesting stuff with their Windows machines.
    Channel 10 should start doing that and make sure that people find the videos by trying to get linked from higher profile sites like Soapbox and Hotmail.
    Microsoft seems to be trying to advertise their products using buzzwords and photos of generic smiling people. That's useless!

Just SHOW THEM some of the things they can do with their PCs and there will be less frustrated people around saying ridiculously wrong things about Vista.
    Microsoft need to do a MUCH better job at teaching the average user how to use Vista and showing what's changed since XP.
    Replacing the photo import wizard with the one from the Live Photo Gallery would help allot too.

If you compare it to OSX...
    Making changes to Windows is difficult because most of it's users are very afraid of change. It's quite different than when OSX came out and everyone had to buy a new computer and get new software for it, which nobody would stand for in the Windows world except for geeks like us and rich people. That market was minuscule compared to Windows so there where many less people to complain and the people who where excited about OSX where already knowledgeable enough to know what switching to a completely new system would involve. I'd certainly be excited to ditch OS 7,8,9.
    MS has done a good job at keeping backwards compatibility and making Vista not be so different that it's difficult to move to it from XP but in doing so it still sometimes causes problems and that infuriates people who are afraid of change and those people who don't know the basics of how to handle files and folder and other basics of using as OS. They only use a browser, an email client and whatever software they use at work. Move ONE icon or change ONE little toolbar and they're lost. It's almost never an MS product they're using that's annoying them but they will somehow end up blaming MS because they overhear the geekier people around them complaining about Microsoft and of course they want to be cool or at least pretend they're knowledgeable so they go along with the rest of the pack and blame the wrong company.

So basically I'm asking Microsoft to help EDUCATE the people about their OS by making advertising that informs people and maybe it will help fight the FUD.

I don't want to see another add with swishing letters and smiley generic stock photo people!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

dentaku wrote:
    Microsoft seems to be trying to advertise their products using buzzwords and photos of generic smiling people. That's useless!

QFT.

The impressions people have about Vista are largely caused by the fact that MS doesn't seem to care to rectify those impressions.

• User profile image
    typemismatch

It's not what Microsoft did to make it bad, it's what they didn't do to make it good ... but for the first time yesterday I heard some people claiming the 64bit version was much more stable and speedy - I can't say since I'm never installing it again Smiley but maybe that is true.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ray6 wrote:

... and of course, I'd have to somehow get over joining that unbelievably obnoxious user base ....

Why thank you - we aim to please Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

intelman wrote:
    Lately at Ohio State, students have been joking and complaining about Vista. A lot of mis information is tossed around, and a lot of hatred. Microsoft has done something horribly wrong, I have not met one person who likes Vista. Someone claimed "I heard Vista has so many holes in it, that anyone who know basic hacking skills could compromise your machine". I'm fairly certain that is incorrect. I also here people complaining about CPU usage on idle, someone claimed it used 80% on idle. Everyone complains about Vista people slow to boot, 2 minutes on average, and I'd have to say that is true. The most common phares I've heard is "Vista is sh&@!".

Anyways my point of this was, something needs to change...I don't know what was done to make Vista appear horrible, but there is some major hatred towards it. What happend, why is that? My computer actually gets laughed at or comments like "I'm sorry you're running Vista".

Windows 7 better be hip and it better be fast.

You don't know how good you have it, sonny.

Back in my day, I got laughed at just for using computers.

Seriously, though, college is the transitional period where adolescent douchebags turn into full-grown adult douchebags.  Many of them are still unable to make their own decisions without the approval of their peers.  I'm not saying all of them are that way, but many are.  So, when Apple blatantly lies about Vista in it's commercials they believe it because their friends believe it.

And their friends are f*cking morons.

So, to summarize: In about 10 years, most of them will be overweight, balding, and have fat-a$$es, so you won't really care much about their opinion.  You might as well get a head start on "ignoring them" today.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

creditcard wrote:
    I never really used winvista, is it really any good?

i think it's pretty good.

It's not excellent, but it isn't bad at that.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

"My computer actually gets laughed at or comments like "I'm sorry you're running Vista".

Ah Columbus, if Ohio had a Mason-Dixon line it'd run right through you.

*proud Clevelander*
    Smiley

On a serious note, when I have my laptop out in public people first stop and gawk at the 17in display and then realize I'm not running XP and want info on Vista, I've never heard one bad thing about it (from normal/non-techs) when people come up to me to ask questions or get advice.

• User profile image
    keeron

intelman wrote:

You live next to a mac store?

• User profile image
    Ray6

Jason Cox wrote:

*proud Clevelander*

On a serious note, when I have my laptop out in public people first stop and gawk at the 17in display and then realize I'm not running XP and want info on Vista, I've never heard one bad thing about it (from normal/non-techs) when people come up to me to ask questions or get advice.

What sort of laptop have you got?

• User profile image
    dentaku

Jason Cox wrote:

*proud Clevelander*

Yeah, what kinda laptop do you have. 17" is a bit big to carry around everywhere but I've seen HP's with huge screens that seem to be amazingly light.
    HP's been doing better lately and I like their designs.

• User profile image
    cheong

intelman wrote:

Everyone complains about Vista people slow to boot, 2 minutes on average, and I'd have to say that is true.

Regarding that... the same has been said when Microsoft introduce Win95. Booting Win95 requires significantly more time when compared with booting DOS + Win3.1. But then again, you need additional load time to load those new features.

Don't worry, as technology advances and hardware become significantly faster then what we have, people will stop complaining booting Vista is slow and say that "booting <whatever the Microsoft OS released later than Vista> is slow and is unacceptable".

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.