Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Augmented reality

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Yesterday and today I had some fun with an exercise for university. It is starting right now and the first thing to do was to train the camera with parameters to follow a pattern and draw upon that pattern a cube (in light blue)...

I found it cool and thought I could share some of the results.

Click on the picture to see a short screencast where I'm moving the piece of paper around and the cube follows like a little dog.

I look like scary, but since everything in the video looks crappy I don't care Wink

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

That's cool. You had to write the recognition code?

• User profile image
    littleguru

TommyCarlier wrote:
    That's cool. You had to write the recognition code?

Until now I have only used some software and gotten some parameters and added them into a short script. The thing to calibrate the camera is build upon the Intel Open Source Computer Vision Library. The software that prints the output is called "Studierstube" and builds upon OpenTracker.

But as said the exercise just started. This was the first thing to do. More is to come Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Looks cool!

Are you going to make a .Net lib out of it? Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

Minh wrote:
    Looks cool!

Are you going to make a .Net lib out of it?

Would be fun, wouldn't it? Right now the thing builds upon OpenGL. You also see it in the script language. It's very much OpenGL like.

• User profile image
    Bas

That's awesome!

Next step: a camera on LCD goggles so that you can augment reality in a VR sort of way.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Very cool, how many things can you track/recognise at once and how well does it work in low-light conditions?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I once saw a video in the middle of a city, and the guy zoomed in on a big advertisement poster. But instead of the advertisement, the computer recognized the large square and showed a list of his emails.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Rossj wrote:
    Very cool, how many things can you track/recognise at once and how well does it work in low-light conditions?

The video that you see has been recorded in the evening... I haven't tried it with very low light, but since my camera allows you to switch into a low light mode it would also be possible to do it. But as a prof said: if you have no light you can't use cameras to detect anything. You're blind then.

• User profile image
    Chadk

Thats awesome! Big Smile

• User profile image
    erik_

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.