Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Clever way to generate power

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1214137061?bctid=1233395616

It's hard to explain unless you look at the video, but this guy took a strip of mylar that was attached on one end to a couple of coils of wire.  When wind blows over the strip at a minimal speed, a standing wave is created that causes a the coils to generate power.

It's specific for small amounts of power generation, but I imagine it could scale up, as well. 

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Cool - any chance you know where the rest of the video is?

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I found the original link on Fark:

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1052/

I'm guessing there will be more from there.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I'm still waiting for my Perendev Motor damnit Smiley

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

ScanIAm wrote:

Lloyd_Humph wrote:

I found the original link on Fark:

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1052/

I'm guessing there will be more from there.

Thanks.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I'm still waiting for my Perendev Motor damnit

I hadn't heard of it till you mentioned it so I did some searching and it seems that there might be some issues with it working over a long period.

I didn't realize that magnets could lose their magnetivity, but it appears that since they sit in almost constant opposition to each other, they eventually lose 'power.

Of course, that may be intarweb FUD, too.  I certainly would be nice, but given the whole 'laws of thermodymanics' thing, I'm not hopeful.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

ScanIAm wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I'm still waiting for my Perendev Motor damnit

I hadn't heard of it till you mentioned it so I did some searching and it seems that there might be some issues with it working over a long period.

I didn't realize that magnets could lose their magnetivity, but it appears that since they sit in almost constant opposition to each other, they eventually lose 'power.

Of course, that may be intarweb FUD, too.  I certainly would be nice, but given the whole 'laws of thermodymanics' thing, I'm not hopeful.

Yeah, the magnets WOULD lose power. It's not a perpetual-motion-machine - you are converting one form of energy into another Smiley I think the half-life is in the hundreds of years though. So IF it worked, it would work for a while Smiley

• User profile image
    giovanni

All electric motors I can think of have magnets, but I never heard of an electric motor failing because it got "demagnetized."

What I am more concerned about is the energy lost by the belt: if it is too rigid it will snap, otherwise it will loose a lot of energy.

Nevertheless, this is a very cool idea indeed

• User profile image
    ManipUni

giovanni wrote:
    What I am more concerned about is the energy lost by the belt: if it is too rigid it will snap, otherwise it will loose a lot of energy.

Unless it looses negative energy it is still a net gain and thus interesting in the very least.

I really think this design could go somewhere. Other than a fair amount of maintenance (E.g. Replacing the material) and being more susceptible to too much wind than some other designs it seems fairly solid.

Oh and it also ticks the K.I.S.S. box...

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

giovanni wrote:
    All electric motors I can think of have magnets, but I never heard of an electric motor failing because it got "demagnetized."

Why do electric motors fail?

Electric motors use physical magnets AND electromagnets (and require power).  The physical magnets are not in a constant state of opposition against the electomagnet so the condition won't happen (at least not for a very, very long time).

In the Perendev, however, the magnets are all physical and always in a state of opposition to each other. 

I'm no materials physicist, but if there weren't some form of loss in the system, then it would be a perpetual motion machine.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

ScanIAm wrote:

giovanni wrote:

Electric motors use physical magnets AND electromagnets
    only a small amount of electric motors use physical magnets, why do electric motors fail? because their electromagnets fail...

• User profile image
    phreaks

Ion Todirel wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

giovanni wrote:

only a small amount of electric motors use physical magnets, why do electric motors fail? because their electromagnets fail...

why do those fail?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Ion Todirel wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

giovanni wrote:

Or their bearings wear out or a host of other things.  I'm not sure why I even included that question in the first place.

Either way, the Perendev would be a completely different animal since it appears to be all physical magnets.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

phreaks wrote:

Ion Todirel wrote:

ScanIAm wrote:

giovanni wrote:

why do those fail?
    usually because of losing conductor isolation caused by temperature (generated by electrons), electricity fluctuations, EMPs ... Smiley

P.S. i'm talking about AC motors

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.