Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

how to reinstall IE7 on Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    cornelius

    guys please help

    for last few weeks my IE7 keeps going gaga

    i suspect it was addition of IE7 pro or a new quadcore cpu (it started acting up at same time),

    but i removed IE7 pro now and IE7 still crashes an/or freezes every few hours, its highly annoying


    any help is appreciated

    and yes i did virus/spyware scan the pc

  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

    I had this... are there any other problems on your machine?

    When my rundll.dll (or something) was corrupt IE7 wouldn't open, perhaps it's something similar on your machine.

    I was goign to try and re-install IE7, but it's /stupidly/ difficult, but I doubt it's impossible.

    IE7 Pro's fine on  my machine.. I just wish FF would work with C9. Hopefully v4 will give me access again.

    If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    cornelius

    explorer freezes as well every so often as well or just displays blank/empty and winscp dies for no reason

    so i have to restart explorer from ctrl+alt+delete


    also navicat dies daily and firefox is not to stable Sad


    according to reliability monitor my system went from rating of 10 in may to about 2!


  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    There's no way to reinstall IE as such. It's part of the OS, and the standalone installer will do nothing here. There's two things you can try that I can think of off-hand.

    The first is resetting IE. This is done through the Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset button.

    The second is running a system file check. Open an elevated command prompt, and run "sfc /scannow". This will verify and if necessary repair all critical system files, including those of IE.

    If neither of those helps, I'm not sure what else you can do. You might try attaching a debugger to IE so you can capture a call stack when it crashes; that might tell you which component is causing trouble.

    EDIT: It sounds however that your issues are not related to IE if Firefox also has trouble. Still, trying those two steps will not hurt (especially the second one since it doesn't apply to just IE but to all system files).

    EDIT2: If this started happening when you added a new CPU it might be an issue with the CPU itself. Are you overclocking it? If so, try running it at normal speed to see if that helps. If not, if you still have your old CPU you might try replacing it to see if the new CPU is indeed the cause. If it is, it's likely defective.

  • User profile image
    cornelius

    well Firefox was never stable for me not since 1.5, it just east piles of ram and getting more bloated with each update



    anyways IE7 just crashed again got this

     

      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: iexplore.exe
      Application Version: 7.0.6000.16512
      Application Timestamp: 46807103
      Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
      Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: a75cb36a
      OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 6153
      Additional Information 1: 8d13
      Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
      Additional Information 3: 8d13
      Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311





    no the cpu is not overclocked (theres no need its more than good enough for me), and theres good circulation http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334374, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314771


    i upgraded from athlon 3200+ to intel 6600 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330169
    on this motherboard http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329286 and ram http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320721



    EDIT: hmm googling leads here http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1882393&SiteID=17

    EDIT2: i reset IE ill see if that helps, i really dont want to use another browser i like the way the fonts are displayed Smiley

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    I had the same thing happen to me, except it was an MS update causing the issues. Do a system restore.

  • User profile image
    triqld

    Sven Groot said:
    There's no way to reinstall IE as such. It's part of the OS, and the standalone installer will do nothing here. There's two things you can try that I can think of off-hand.

    The first is resetting IE. This is done through the Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset button.

    The second is running a system file check. Open an elevated command prompt, and run "sfc /scannow". This will verify and if necessary repair all critical system files, including those of IE.

    If neither of those helps, I'm not sure what else you can do. You might try attaching a debugger to IE so you can capture a call stack when it crashes; that might tell you which component is causing trouble.

    EDIT: It sounds however that your issues are not related to IE if Firefox also has trouble. Still, trying those two steps will not hurt (especially the second one since it doesn't apply to just IE but to all system files).

    EDIT2: If this started happening when you added a new CPU it might be an issue with the CPU itself. Are you overclocking it? If so, try running it at normal speed to see if that helps. If not, if you still have your old CPU you might try replacing it to see if the new CPU is indeed the cause. If it is, it's likely defective.
    Thanks Sven, your ideas worked for me.

    I had IE7 crashing on a Vista PC I was working on, every time it opened, I had run several programs scan for viruses/trojans cleaned that all up, ran a highjackthis to fix errors this found but it still continued to crash IE7 everytime I was opening it.

    Came across your reply to this thread and tried your first idea of resetting IE, this did the trick.

    Thankyou


    Paul DG

  • User profile image
    chris.​johnston

    Sven Groot said:
    There's no way to reinstall IE as such. It's part of the OS, and the standalone installer will do nothing here. There's two things you can try that I can think of off-hand.

    The first is resetting IE. This is done through the Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset button.

    The second is running a system file check. Open an elevated command prompt, and run "sfc /scannow". This will verify and if necessary repair all critical system files, including those of IE.

    If neither of those helps, I'm not sure what else you can do. You might try attaching a debugger to IE so you can capture a call stack when it crashes; that might tell you which component is causing trouble.

    EDIT: It sounds however that your issues are not related to IE if Firefox also has trouble. Still, trying those two steps will not hurt (especially the second one since it doesn't apply to just IE but to all system files).

    EDIT2: If this started happening when you added a new CPU it might be an issue with the CPU itself. Are you overclocking it? If so, try running it at normal speed to see if that helps. If not, if you still have your old CPU you might try replacing it to see if the new CPU is indeed the cause. If it is, it's likely defective.
    Thanks for the tip. I also had problems after uninstalling IE7 Pro. After resetting IE problem seems to be gone.

  • User profile image
    Mattaus

    chris.johnston said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Thanks for the tip. I also had problems after uninstalling IE7 Pro. After resetting IE problem seems to be gone.
    Hi guys, I'm having problems with IE8 beta version, I downloaded the beta thinking it would be fine but being a beta its not completed yet.

    Now I'm having troubles with my McAfee Security due the McAfee window operating in IE7.

    I can't download IE7 from Microsoft because its automatically apart of the OS when you buy Vista.

    Does anyone know who I can revert back to using IE7 and getting rid of this beta?

    I've looked in Control Panel and tried searching to uninstall it but no joy, help me?

    =]

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Mattaus said:
    chris.johnston said:
    *snip*
    Hi guys, I'm having problems with IE8 beta version, I downloaded the beta thinking it would be fine but being a beta its not completed yet.

    Now I'm having troubles with my McAfee Security due the McAfee window operating in IE7.

    I can't download IE7 from Microsoft because its automatically apart of the OS when you buy Vista.

    Does anyone know who I can revert back to using IE7 and getting rid of this beta?

    I've looked in Control Panel and tried searching to uninstall it but no joy, help me?

    =]
    Go to Control Panel, Programs, View installed updates. It should appear in that list as Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2. You can uninstall it from there.

  • User profile image
    Mattaus

    Sven Groot said:
    Mattaus said:
    *snip*
    Go to Control Panel, Programs, View installed updates. It should appear in that list as Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2. You can uninstall it from there.
    But will that not uninstall the whole explorer?

    I've looked on the Microsoft website and theres no way of downloading IE7 again for use due to it being incorperated into the OS on intial buy?

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Mattaus said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    But will that not uninstall the whole explorer?

    I've looked on the Microsoft website and theres no way of downloading IE7 again for use due to it being incorperated into the OS on intial buy?
    It will remove IE8 and revert to IE7, because you can't remove IE completely.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.