Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Silverlight - high CPU?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    the_corona

Am I the only one that finds silverlight completely unusable? It uses way too much CPU, enough in fact to have the audio go completely out of sync with the video.

For instance I was watching (well trying, but gave up) this:

Watching it in the windows, gives me about 80-90% CPU usage, but audio already goes out of sync. If I double click to go to fullscreen, than its at 100% all the time and I get like 10-15 fps on the video or something. I tested this on FF and IE7 on Vista 64, as well as on FF in XP SP2. CPU is an athlon 64 3200+ for the vista system and a sempron 3000+ for xp.

Is there something I can do, or is that just the way it is? Surely that can't be, I can playback 1080i video on the vista machine with less cpu usage Sad

Please help

Edit: fixed long URL

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Last night I was looking at silverlight stuff and my whole computer bogged down (80- 100%). I had to shut down IE7 and MSN (weirdly enough) before it'd go back to normal.

Don't know if it's the same sortof thing though, since Messenger was also causing problems (apparently).

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jigarmehtam​scit

I dont think thats the general case. I can see entire video perfectly. When I am seeing the video, my IE process is consuming 33-39 % of CPU (I have P4 Intel Core2 Duo machine with 4 GB RAM.

• User profile image
    the_corona

Well, forgive me if I'm wrong, but 39% on a dual core machine, would equal 78% on the same CPU for a single core. Given that even one of your cores is faster than my whole CPU, you're seeing the same (extremely high) CPU usage.

I don't get why its that demanding. If I watch a video on this site, I get about 50-55% as long as I dont go to fullscreen, than I'm back to 100% and out of sync audio. Watching a video (with I would say the same res/bitrate on youtube gives me between 25 and 30% and about 60% - 70%  going fullscreen (which I still think is alot, but at least it works).

Silverlight is completely useless for me as it is.....

• User profile image
    stevo_

jigarmehtamscit wrote:
    I dont think thats the general case. I can see entire video perfectly. When I am seeing the video, my IE process is consuming 33-39 % of CPU (I have P4 Intel Core2 Duo machine with 4 GB RAM.

Intel Pentium 4 core 2 duo? Tongue Out

fyi, Core 2 replaces the 'Pentium architecture'..

• User profile image
    jb43081

the_corona wrote:
    Am I the only one that finds silverlight completely unusable? It uses way too much CPU, enough in fact to have the audio go completely out of sync with the video.

For instance I was watching (well trying, but gave up) this:

Watching it in the windows, gives me about 80-90% CPU usage, but audio already goes out of sync. If I double click to go to fullscreen, than its at 100% all the time and I get like 10-15 fps on the video or something. I tested this on FF and IE7 on Vista 64, as well as on FF in XP SP2. CPU is an athlon 64 3200+ for the vista system and a sempron 3000+ for xp.

Is there something I can do, or is that just the way it is? Surely that can't be, I can playback 1080i video on the vista machine with less cpu usage Sad

Please help

Edit: fixed long URL

Watched it on a dual core w/ IE 7, had no problem.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Two things:

I'm sure there's been a thread on this before somewhere.

And is the_Corona anything to do with Corona_Coder?

• User profile image
    the_corona

I guess it just has high demands then, don't really understand why to be frank, but I really just wanted to know if it could be something on my part.

I'm sure there was a thread about this somewhere else already, but I chose to post here. I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to create threads about microsoft technology.

I don't really see what value your reply brought to this post GoddersUK, but perhaps I misread your reply. I am also sorry my nick somewhat resembles another channel9 member......jeezzz

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

the_corona wrote:
    I'm sure there was a thread about this somewhere else already, but I chose to post here. I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to create threads about microsoft technology.

I don't really see what value your reply brought to this post GoddersUK, but perhaps I misread your reply. I am also sorry my nick somewhat resembles another channel9 member......jeezzz

On the first point I was telling you so you could find it and see if it had a sollution (fine so maybe I should have linked to it).

And on the second one, I'm sory - I did check your profile afterwards and you're obviously not corona_coder.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK
  • User profile image
    the_corona

GoddersUK wrote:

Cool, thnx for that link, there is a bit of discussion on cpu usage there, I did indeed miss that thread (well I did see it but I didn't keep checking every reply). Unfortunatly no solution though, oh well...

• User profile image
    dentaku

I get between 4% and 10% CPU usage playing the video on the C9 front page and around 60% CPU usage playing it fulscreen but everything plays smoothly.
    I wish gamevideos.com would play that smoothly. It buffers constantly.

• User profile image
    mcampbell

No real CPU issues, just problems with the time taking to render a page where a Silverlight video is embedded.

• User profile image
    esoteric

The real showstopper for me is becomming IE perf and reliability. I'm moving to Opera until at least IE8. And until then, no Silverlight. - And I've been a die-hard IE user for years, never really yielding to alternatives. Some serious investment needs to happen to IE.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Silverlight doesn't use any hardware acceleration that's why your cpu is going high.

• User profile image
    esoteric

creditcard wrote:
    it might have something to do with the fact that flash is bytecode and silverlight 1.0 is driven by interpreted ecmascript
    And 1.1 will use both JIT'd IL via CLR and interpretation via DLR.

• User profile image
    the_corona

ZippyV wrote:
    Silverlight doesn't use any hardware acceleration that's why your cpu is going high.

I thought something like that was the reason, it's a real pity though as fullscreen just doesn't work for me as it is (and depending on the resolution of the video and/or the size of the embedded video control even that has my cpu sweating.

Is there any work being done to reduce the workload? Or can I somehow get an mms stream (I assume its just that in the background) out of a silverlight page and play that via wmp?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.