Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Blender Tutorials/Books

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Anybody suggest some good places for beginners to Blender 3D design/animation?

Or books, I'd prefer books. I just can't concentrate on learning though a screen Perplexed

Basically I just want the skillz to do some sprites to make some /basic/ animations, then maybe move along and get pretty good at it.

Maybe.

I've found "The Essential Blender" (or something similar, I forget the wording) for £31 on Amazon but an /amazing/ £18 (so maybe £25 with PNP and VAT, but Amazon still needs to include PnP).

I'll probably go with that if I can't find anything else. Video tutorials might be good also, I'm only just looking into them.

So.. books'n'tutorials, pretty please Smiley

TIA

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Minh

You mean other than the video tutorials on Blender.org?

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

If you can find a copy, you might want to pick up The Blender Book. It's a little bit dated now, and bits of the UI have changed, but there is still a lot of useful information in it. If you are into character animation, there's Introducing Character Animation with Blender. I have a copy, but I haven't gone through it yet. There's also more tutorials at BlenderArt.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Minh wrote:
    You mean other than the video tutorials on Blender.org?

Yes, but I have also yet to check them out.

And like I said, I prefer a book Tongue Out

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

jsrfc58 wrote:
    If you can find a copy, you might want to pick up The Blender Book. It's a little bit dated now, and bits of the UI have changed, but there is still a lot of useful information in it. If you are into character animation, there's Introducing Character Animation with Blender. I have a copy, but I haven't gone through it yet. There's also more tutorials at BlenderArt.

Thanks, I'll have a look Smiley

Last modified
  • User profile image
    webmonkey

When I was learning 3DSMax I found the videos more useful than any of the books I got, it was too visual to just read about it.

Tutorials on the web (& my lecturers tuts) where people had taken screenshots of every step were good too, the books were next to useless and just sat on my floor for 6 months.

I keep meaning to have a play with blender.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

webmonkey wrote:

When I was learning 3DSMax I found the videos more useful than any of the books I got, it was too visual to just read about it.

Tutorials on the web (& my lecturers tuts) where people had taken screenshots of every step were good too, the books were next to useless and just sat on my floor for 6 months.

I keep meaning to have a play with blender.

I got the 3DSMax demo to see whether it was worth aquiring it by rather non-official means. The demo just crashed on execution, so I just went back to blender. I've known about the Blender UI for a bit, I'm just looking to do more advanced things and he more basic stuff (sculpting etc).

Hopefully I'll get a decent book on it. I've been through the blender website downloading all the video-tutorials, I'll watch them then decide whether it's worth buying a book. But I'll probably still buy a book, so keep the suggestions rolling in Wink

Last modified
  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

Do yourself a favor and get Maya Personal Learning Edition (it's free) and don't even bother with that joke of Blender. Maya's UI isn't exactly easy, but less of a clusterfsck than Blender. And you get actually to use a highend package used in the movie industry.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Tom Servo wrote:
    Do yourself a favor and get Maya Personal Learning Edition (it's free) and don't even bother with that joke of Blender. Maya's UI isn't exactly easy, but less of a clusterfsck than Blender. And you get actually to use a highend package used in the movie industry.

Cool, I'll look into it.

Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.