Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Remote Desktop broke

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    falthazar

There is no other way to say it, I have absolutely no idea what happened, one day it worked the next day nothing.
    I use remote desktop from school to access my home computer just in case I leave a file at home. It used to work perfectly, then one day it just stopped working. I did notice that there was a "Security update for windows x64 based systems" that was installed the night it broke. That update seemed to update the windows firewall and when it did that it killed my internet. I fixed my internet by going to restore defaults in the windows firewall.
    I have tried everything with this, I even shut the firewall down and it still didn't work. I uninstalled the updates but still nothing.
    This has happened only once before when I installed Comodo which is another firewall. That wouldn't let me use remote desktop even when it wasn't running, the only way i fixed that was to uninstall it.

I even tried to reinstall then uninstall Comodo just to see if that would fix it, didnt work though (wasen't really suprised).

Is there anything i can do? I have 3 computers (other two are xp) that are hooked up via a network so I can test it whenever.

• User profile image
    linht

You can have a try on Gooer Remote Desktop Service, I am using it and it works fine in my environment

• User profile image
    irascian

Have a look at LogMeIn - works over plain and simple http Smiley (the secure variant of course)

You have to pay for the professional version but the free version is perfectly good.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:
    Have a look at LogMeIn - works over plain and simple http (the secure variant of course)

You have to pay for the professional version but the free version is perfectly good.

How does LogMeIn work? Is it a framebuffer sender (a la VNC), work with the Windowing system (NX), or lower-level, such as a virtual device driver (like RDP)?

• User profile image
    blowdart

You could check the remote desktop port is open on the firewall; look for the remote desktop exception in your firewall settings, it's TCP port 3389.

If you have machines on the same LAN try connection from those once you've checked the port is open, if that works then widen the scope of the open port to the whole internet.

If that doesn't work then check remote desktop is running; open a command window and run netstat -a (errr, is that still in Vista?) look for port 3389, or a port named rdp and make sure something is listening.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

blowdart wrote:
    You could check the remote desktop port is open on the firewall; look for the remote desktop exception in your firewall settings, it's TCP port 3389.

If you have machines on the same LAN try connection from those once you've checked the port is open, if that works then widen the scope of the open port to the whole internet.

If that doesn't work then check remote desktop is running; open a command window and run netstat -a (errr, is that still in Vista?) look for port 3389, or a port named rdp and make sure something is listening.

augh!  We tried all of that.  (I know falthazar in RL, btw.)  All the proper exceptions in the Windows firewall are set up, but it doesn't even work with the firewall disabled.  Port forwarding is configured, but it doesn't even work within his home network.  I even tried hooking a vista laptop directly into his computer via one LAN cable, and while I could access the network shares, RD wouldn't work.
    Oh, and duh we also went in to verify that RD was enabled for is user account.
    We even tried restarting!
    AUUUGH!
    ...works fine for me, though. Smiley  I wonder if it has something to do with him using x64 and me using x86.

• User profile image
    blowdart

alwaysmc2 wrote:

augh!  We tried all of that.  (I know falthazar in RL, btw.)  All the proper exceptions in the Windows firewall are set up, but it doesn't even work with the firewall disabled.  Port forwarding is configured, but it doesn't even work within his home network.  I even tried hooking a vista laptop directly into his computer via one LAN cable, and while I could access the network shares, RD wouldn't work.
    Oh, and duh we also went in to verify that RD was enabled for is user account.
    We even tried restarting!
    AUUUGH!
    ...works fine for me, though. Smiley  I wonder if it has something to do with him using x64 and me using x86.

Real life? What's that?

Ok so it sounds like RD is royally borked; can you try disabling it completly and re-enabling it? Then try telnetting to that port from the local machine to see if anything is listening, then from another maching on the LAN

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.