Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft & ISVs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

I've offered an vendor position at Microsoft China, but I still ain't got a clear idea of what "vendor" actually means, what kinda business model Microsoft has with its vendors and partners? and how do they related to each other in terms of portfolio and profitability?

Sheva

• User profile image
    blowdart

A v-? It means you sell skills, or something else into MS and they pay you.

Contracting basically.

The terms are more fun if you're a partner; MS (in the UK anyway) will not let you become dependant, you have to show more than 50% of turnover from companies other than MS, if MS goes over the 50% no more work.

• User profile image
    footballism

blowdart wrote:
    A v-? It means you sell skills, or something else into MS and they pay you.

Contracting basically.

The terms are more fun if you're a partner; MS (in the UK anyway) will not let you become dependant, you have to show more than 50% of turnover from companies other than MS, if MS goes over the 50% no more work.

Hi Blowdart, could you please be more specific to it? I still ain't get into what you mean right here.

Sheva

• User profile image
    eagle

A Vendor is an independent contractor.

....so you're responsible for your own insurance and health care.

Microsoft doesn't sell software Partners do.

Independent Software Vendors build on the Microsoft stack - Windows Vista, Office, Windows Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server and sell their software into Verticals -  Health care industry, Manufacturing, Government, Education and many more.

I was talking on the phone last week to the guy who runs the Partner ISV program at Microsoft and he's going to be in Beijing this week.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.