Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft's a Pig

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

What’s the joke about the egg and bacon breakfast,

‘Who’s more committed, the pig or the chicken?’

said Steve Ballmer
     - We’re the pig at the breakfast; we’re committed to the future of digital advertising.

• User profile image
    prndll

lol....
    Interesting considering that everything is going digital (even tv) and the fact (my opinion) that online advertising is the single biggest evil that exists on the world wide web.

So....
    How likely are we to get heart disease from the fat of this pig?

lol....
    don't pigs live most of their lives wollowing in their own fecal matter?

How many jokes could be made of this?

• User profile image
    wkempf

prndll wrote:
    lol....
    Interesting considering that everything is going digital (even tv) and the fact (my opinion) that online advertising is the single biggest evil that exists on the world wide web.

So....
    How likely are we to get heart disease from the fat of this pig?

lol....
    don't pigs live most of their lives wollowing in their own fecal matter?

How many jokes could be made of this?

Advertisements aren't evil.  In fact, they provide tremendous value to users.  They keep the costs to the consumer of the content low (content isn't free by any stretch), and provide the consumer of goods information.  I will agree that I dislike any advertising strategy the attempts to "force" me to pay attention to the ad.  I'm much more likely to pay attention to ads when I'm empowered with the ability to ignore them.  But I won't call such enforced advertising "evil".  I'll just vote with my feet and seek other sources that don't do this, if available, or find other ways of ignoring the ads when not.

• User profile image
    prndll

The reason I call it evil is simply due to it's need to peer directly into a computer and compromise the integrity of a connection/the os/files/and other software for more accurate "targeted advertising" (i.e. improper use of cookies). Things the end user has little to no control over (atleast without the newest filters/blockers that may or may not even work). Online advertising is where most spam comes from. It also translates to embeded webpage code that corrupts browsers and infects computers and networks. There are too many examples of this out there.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.