Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

When is XNA 2.0 Being Released?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Does anyone know when XNA 2.0 is going to be released?

I remember they said something like, "sometime in late 2007", which is now!

Any news.... ?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I have 0 experience with XNA, but after seeing a book on it in B&N two days ago, I would like to do some work with it. Might be fun.

• User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I have 0 experience with XNA, but after seeing a book on it in B&N two days ago, I would like to do some work with it. Might be fun.

Well, yeah!

I have some big ideas and want to get started soon, I hope it comes out very shortly.

• User profile image
    Minh

phreaks wrote:

I have some big ideas
    Well, do share...

• User profile image
    phreaks

Minh wrote:

phreaks wrote:

I have some big ideas
    Well, do share...

All in due time Wink

let's get XNA first!
    So C'mon softies, spill it, when can we expect 2.0?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

How well does XNA work for building windows-games? Is there pretty good support for it yet? That's the only reason I would even bother with it, since I don't have a 360.

• User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:
    How well does XNA work for building windows-games? Is there pretty good support for it yet? That's the only reason I would even bother with it, since I don't have a 360.

I'm not sure...

However, I was under the impression that anything built with it would target Vista and the 360 seemlessly.

Maybe someone else could confirm (along with a 'general' release time frame [6] )

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

phreaks wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

I'm not sure...

However, I was under the impression that anything built with it would target Vista and the 360 seemlessly.

Maybe someone else could confirm (along with a 'general' release time frame )

If I'm not mistaken, it didn't have the ability to create executables, or packages. Instead, when you created a game, you had to send all of the uncompiles files to a friend if they wanted to play it too. Is this the case, and if so, is that different now, or soon to be different?

• User profile image
    Minh

jsampsonPC wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, it didn't have the ability to create executables, or packages. Instead, when you created a game, you had to send all of the uncompiles files to a friend if they wanted to play it too. Is this the case, and if so, is that different now, or soon to be different?
    Sending your friends the files to run your game on the Xbox 360 is the current way you can run XNA games. And both of you have to belong to the Creator Club (or whatever it's called). It's that $100 / yr subscription.

But it's entirely a different thing on the PC. XNA games are as free and open as any other PC games.

MS (with 99% certainty) wont allow just anyone to freely publish XNA games on the Xbox 360. But there are some value to XNA on the Xbox.

* MS will probably let XNA games be on Xbox Live Arcade (you would have to be deemed worthy, though) -- max download limit for XBLA games is 100MB.

* MS may one day allow XNA games to be distributed via DVD.

* MS may lower the cost of the Creator Club dramatically. They're trying to create something called "The YouTube of Games". An almost-free & open Creator Club could result.

But the Xbox is really, the only reason you would want to try XNA. When I looked at GSE 1.0, it was extremely green. Lacking a lot of the tools already available to other game SDKs.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Minh wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

Sending your friends the files to run your game on the Xbox 360 is the current way you can run XNA games. And both of you have to belong to the Creator Club (or whatever it's called). It's that $100 / yr subscription.

But it's entirely a different thing on the PC. XNA games are as free and open as any other PC games.

MS (with 99% certainty) wont allow just anyone to freely publish XNA games on the Xbox 360. But there are some value to XNA on the Xbox.

* MS will probably let XNA games be on Xbox Live Arcade (you would have to be deemed worthy, though) -- max download limit for XBLA games is 100MB.

* MS may one day allow XNA games to be distributed via DVD.

* MS may lower the cost of the Creator Club dramatically. They're trying to create something called "The YouTube of Games". An almost-free & open Creator Club could result.

But the Xbox is really, the only reason you would want to try XNA. When I looked at GSE 1.0, it was extremely green. Lacking a lot of the tools already available to other game SDKs.

Yeah I am also interested in seeing a beta / rc or final build of XNA Game 2.0

most of the stuff like the re-dist and sales of xbox games I know has been discused and I am sure they have some kind of plans for makin that work.

and yes you can build a windows game with it.

tools for it:  they did say that they were adding a lot of stuff to "the pipeline".

Give it up XNA team; spill the beans; at least share a beta or something.... heck at least confirm will it
    a)  be out before Jan 1 2008
    or
    b) after jan 1 2008

• User profile image
    Bas

jsampsonPC wrote:

AFAIK, that's only if you want to send it to other people to play on the 360.

• User profile image
    Minh

Nov-28-2007.  Wink

Actually I don't really know anything.

There was just something in my eye.

Or was there? Wink

• User profile image
    phreaks

Minh wrote:
    Nov-28-2007. 

Or was there?

'':O''

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Minh wrote:
    Nov-28-2007. 

Or was there?

Ah, that's 12 days after Gears of War releases for PC - this will be a good month Tongue Out

• User profile image
    zman

phreaks wrote:
    , "sometime in late 2007", which is now! Any news.... ?

Nope they said 'Holiday 2007'.... see the FAQ http://forums.xna.com/thread/16799.aspx

• User profile image
    phreaks

zman wrote:

phreaks wrote:
    , "sometime in late 2007", which is now! Any news.... ?

Nope they said 'Holiday 2007'.... see the FAQ http://forums.xna.com/thread/16799.aspx

Sorry, I don't read that site. (I just tried, but navigating around requires me to link my live id to my gamertag, and appears to be a lengthy process)

Where did you find the Holiday 2007 date?

I was referring to the comment by Michael Klucher some time ago on the XNA team blog.

Most of our development on this version has been in response to your feedback. What you see here only scratches the surface of everything new in XNA Game Studio 2.0. As we near the release of XNA Game Studio coming late 2007, we'll have more information.

• User profile image
    DigitalDud

Any word on if XNA 2.0 will actually let you output your own audio?  I ported my SNES emulator to XNA 1.0 on the 360 and was very disappointed when there was absolutely no way I could hook up audio.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

donttazemebro wrote:
    XNA 2.0 will be the PS3 and Wii killer.

Eh, hardly.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.