Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

iPhone is Windows powered?!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

OK not the phone itself but the Apple iPhone advertisement displays.

WTF wrote:

Sorry! Had... to... post... it... couldn't... resist.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Is the CD drive vertical? How did they install windows sideways?

• User profile image
    littleguru

harumscarum wrote:

Holy cow! They rotated the whole world at a degree of 90 to do that Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Harlequin

winstall.exe -directionvertical

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I have only one time seen a product display that used Linux or Mac and it was around 2002 and instead of showing the promotional footage it was at the main RH 9 desktop.  I have seen Mall kiosks that use Macs tho which is interesting.  The majority of the time tho, everything is Windows based.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

harumscarum wrote:

Probably a rotated TFT display. Windows boots at 640x480, so the display shows it using default settings. As soon as the display driver kicks in the display will be rotated.

Same happens on TabletPCs, where you boot it up in Laptop mode after shutting it down in Slate mode, the display is horizontal until you login.

• User profile image
    Rossj

rjdohnert wrote:
    I have seen Mall kiosks that use Macs tho which is interesting.  The majority of the time tho, everything is Windows based.

Well I work in that market, and I've never seen Macs used - so maybe it is just a US thing.  The vast majority are Windows or Linux - neither are perfect for different reasons (one is impossible to shut up, and the other doesn't support -  legally - all of the formats people want).

The other reason that Windows is a PITA, is the codecs that are available (not really Windows's fault) tend to be buggy and leak constantly.  At least libvlc allocates the handles it needs in advance and then never budges.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.