Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Blog Action Day

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

what it's all about

http://www.blogactionday.com/

On October 15th - Blog Action Day, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone's mind.

In its inaugural year, Blog Action Day will be co-ordinating bloggers to tackle the issue of the environment.

What Each Blogger Will Do

Bloggers can participate on Blog Action Day in one of two ways:

1. Publish a post on their blog which relates to an issue of their own choice pertaining to the environment.

For example: A blog about money might write about how to save around the home by using environmentally friendly ideas. Similarly a blog about politics might examine what weight environmental policy holds in the political arena.

Posts do not need to have any specific agenda, they simply need to relate to the larger issue in whatever way suits the blogger and readership. Our aim is not to promote one particular viewpoint, only to push the issue to the table for discussion.

2. Commit to donating their day’s advertising earnings to an environmental charity of their choice. There is a list of "official" Blog Action Day charities on the site, however bloggers are also free to choose an alternate environmental charity to donate to if they wish.

And that’s it.

If they choose bloggers can also promote the initiative itself. However they are also free to simply post on topic on the right day or discreetly donate to a charity without publicizing Blog Action Day.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Why do the windmills look exactly like the one that I see when I travel from home to Vienna... *thinking*

• User profile image
    Bas

Bloggers and taking action other than repeating what they've read elsewhere? Impossible!

</bitteroldman>

• User profile image
    prndll

Sorry Sabot....
    I don't believe in "blogs" (atleast in the sense that it's publicly proclaimed).

If I'm going to "blog", it will be through sites like this (this way).

• User profile image
    Sabot

prndll wrote:
    Sorry Sabot....
    I don't believe in "blogs" (atleast in the sense that it's publicly proclaimed).

If I'm going to "blog", it will be through sites like this (this way).

Fair enough!

I'm sure that blogging is here to stay, however I'm sure it will continue to evolve. One of the ways I think it will evolve is 'group blogs' and I'm sure sites like C9 will be a catalyst.

• User profile image
    prndll

I agree that blogging is here to stay. I also agree that it continues to evolve. Just as it has done since BBS's.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sabot wrote:
    One of the ways I think it will evolve is 'group blogs' and I'm sure sites like C9 will be a catalyst.

The thing is C9 is already a blog, or rather blogs are distributed forums where you have to work hard to find the conversation and the barrier to entry is slightly higher.

For all the trolls and fanbois (hey, that's me) I much prefer C9 to the 'blogo-sphere' at least there are less personal politics and back-stabbing and self-aggrandising going on here. Well, normally Smiley

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

body must not be empty... [Duncanma]

• User profile image
    prndll

now that's the kind of thing I'm looking for...
    honesty, truth, and going by definition

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I've been blogging for a few years now. I think it's a great medium to publish technical content, to get feedback or just to express myself. I think the blogging hype is overrated and I also know there are probably more blogs that suck than there are that don't suck. Not all blogs/bloggers are the same.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

My blog isn't terrible.

It's okay, and my web browser tutorial has gotten me a few really nice comments, and that drives me. I'ma put a donate button there soon Tongue Out

I post stuff I think of.. I post what I've done (after I've done it, because I don't want some weirdo stalker catching me doing my daily events).

And I like it. It's also a handy medium to contact people around school..  they all log onto my "endaf" page and post comments to eachother.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Let's do a Mock the Week-style "between the lines" thing here....

Sabot wrote:

what it's all about

http://www.blogactionday.com/

On October 15th - Blog Action Day

On October 15th, an arbitrarily chosen date, convieiently not taken by some other celebration...

Sabot wrote:
    , bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone's mind.

Bloggers, who no-one really cares about, will think they're uniting by pushing contrived articles to their readers, which are totally irrelevant to the blog's subject matter.

Sabot wrote:
    In its inaugural year, Blog Action Day will be co-ordinating bloggers to tackle the issue of the environment.

In its first, last, and only year, Blog Traction Day, will be co-ordinating about 5 people (who happen to be close friends who also have blogs which get about... 2...3 comments a week) to tackle a cause everyone is already fully aware of and either too fatigued to care about, or doesn't care, period.

Getting bloggers together is like herding cats, you need some kind of nationalistic-esque moral outrage to get them to agree to discuss something, but not to agree to come to the same conclusion. You really want those global-warming skeptic blogs to join in? Ha!

Sabot wrote:
    What Each Blogger Will Do

What we asked our friends nicely to do, we doubt they'll do any of it really; but we're hoping we can coax some gullible (and unpopular) bloggers with nothing to lose by alienating their (already lacklustre) readership into tagging along.

Sabot wrote:

Bloggers can participate on Blog Action Day in one of two ways:

1. Publish a post on their blog which relates to an issue of their own choice pertaining to the environment.

For example: A blog about money might write about how to save around the home by using environmentally friendly ideas. Similarly a blog about politics might examine what weight environmental policy holds in the political arena.

Posts do not need to have any specific agenda, they simply need to relate to the larger issue in whatever way suits the blogger and readership. Our aim is not to promote one particular viewpoint, only to push the issue to the table for discussion.

Bloggers can continue as they always did, except maybe stretching some post about Al Gore into one about his film or something. We're really not asking for much, if anything.... so it's just like yesterday really.

Sabot wrote:

1. Commit to donating their day’s advertising earnings to an environmental charity of their choice. There is a list of "official" Blog Action Day charities on the site, however bloggers are also free to choose an alternate environmental charity to donate to if they wish.

And that’s it.

We're imposing a communist model on all participating bloggers. Your advertising revenue doesn't belong to you.

Sabot wrote:

If they choose bloggers can also promote the initiative itself. However they are also free to simply post on topic on the right day or discreetly donate to a charity without publicizing Blog Action Day.

And we've got a facility for bloggers with a sense of shame or pride to participate as well, not that any would really.

Bottom Line:

By 23:59h UTC tomorrow, the number of fad-surfing bloggers to participate will be countable on one hand.

• User profile image
    Dharma Punk

Done.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.